Post Thanks / Like

I`ve fallen down the rabbit hole

Sigh.

Over the last year or two, I`ve been trying to reduce my stock of detailing supplies, eliminate redundancy, and overall simplify things by using products which were not focused to a highly specialized task or only worked with one specific brand. I thought I was doing pretty well as I`ve tossed empty bottles and became much more strategic in my purchases.

This past spring I purchased CanCoat and based on reviews stating great durability when pared with occasional applications of Cure, I picked up a small bottle of that product as well. Recently during the July 4th sales, I noticed I was starting to run low on Kenotek, so I picked up a bottle of Ech2O to use as a QD on all of my coated vehicles. At the time I felt pretty good about how I was eliminating redundancy while trying out new products which could save me money in the long run. Last night I realized despite my best efforts I may have taken a wrong turn and become wrapped up in the everything I was trying not to do.

My intentions were to use the Cure as the occasional booster (something I also try not to get wrapped up in) and the Ech2O as the QD/drying aid in replacement for the Kenotek. However, while re-reading product descriptions it seems Cure product can be used as a QD/drying aid and Ech2o may serve as a booster due to the tiny amounts of silica. Welcome to redundancy.

Am I wrong in my assumptions about the two products being redundant for the purposes I intended to use them?

On a side note, I really like both and have been VERY impressed by Ech2O. Based in experience with previous products and the poor results, I had sworn off the idea of ever performing waterless washes. However after playing around with Ech2O on a coated car, I might start entertaining waterless washes again for times when my car is simply dusty or rain splattered and I want to clean it up quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`ve fallen down the rabbit hole

I`ve read the bottle and web descriptions of Cure and seen the description of "QD". Personally I think it is a poor description at best, and maybe just wrong. In days gone by when I`d use a QD, I always used plenty of product. Like 5-6 sprays per panel. The wet surface allowed for picking up dust and then it wiped in what remained as a nice shine. ( I`ve since switched to using my `waterless wash - leaves nothing behind` product of choice for this purpose). IMHO if you used CURE in that manner you are going to have a streaky mess. My best results with Cure were to dilute 50 / 50 with water and still use very sparingly. I`ve since stopped using it and switched to the new BF SIO2 spray. You can`t streak the BF SIO2 on your worst day. I`m sure the CarPro ECH20 product is great, but I`ve not tried it. I use the BF SIO2 after every wash with great results. Oh and say hello to BudgetPlan down that rabbit hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Save me the trouble and try can coat as a drying aid...….
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d stick with EcH20 as your QD as it has cleaning ability since it is a waterless wash and stick with Cure as your occasional booster. I am pretty sure it does not have any cleaning ability like a QD. Using it as a drying aid is fine as it is just diluting the product anyway. You will get more SiO2 with Cure than with EcH20 as it`s more for gloss enhancement.

I personally would not use Cure to remove light dust and would EcH20 for that purpose.

Does Ech2o have protection in it?
    Ech2o does have some Sio2 (quartz) protection in it BUT its main focus is on safely cleaning and glossing a variety of surfaces.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I`ve read the bottle and web descriptions of Cure and seen the description of "QD". Personally I think it is a poor description at best, and maybe just wrong.
    I guess I just never noticed that; so much for reading directions.

Shouldn`t a QD have some kinda lubricity/light cleaning ability? I would think Cure or any other topper/booster/sealant/whatever they`re called this week would be terrible for use like that. I always assume/assumed that type of stuff is to be used on freshly washed surface.

Oh and say hello to BudgetPlan down that rabbit hole.
    Hey now, aside from that impulsive UK order, been a pretty quiet summer for me.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I`ve read the bottle and web descriptions of Cure and seen the description of "QD". Personally I think it is a poor description at best, and maybe just wrong.
    Thanks. I had the same impression, but was beginning to question my judgment after doing a little reading. I`ve only used Cure once, and it was post-wash on a dry vehicle and despite the wipe down going well once I figured out how to not get any streaking, I didn`t find it very QD or WW-like. I thought I might be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Save me the trouble and try can coat as a drying aid...….
    Interesting idea...an expensive one, but interesting. On a vehicle already wearing CanCoat you could almost extend the life of the product indefinitely as you`d be constantly layering the product. I wonder how well it would hold up after being watered down by the surface water on the vehicle. I also wonder if watered down CanCoat is the same as Cure anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I guess I just never noticed that; so much for reading directions.

Shouldn`t a QD have some kinda lubricity/light cleaning ability? I would think Cure or any other topper/booster/sealant/whatever they`re called this week would be terrible for use like that. I always assume/assumed that type of stuff is to be used on freshly washed surface.
    I feel the same way. I expect good lubrication and cleaning ability as well, but with VERY limited Cure usage I wasn`t sure how well it would perform. I did notice ECH2O had significantly lubrication and even at 20:1 dilution still had a very good cleaning ability.

Thanks for the inputs everyone. I might not have fallen is a far as I thought. It`s more like I got stuck half way in the opening.
    Likes Oneheadlite, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks for the inputs everyone. I might not have fallen is a far as I thought. It`s more like I got stuck half way in the opening.
    Nah you just tripped and kept on walking lol. You are good with what you have at the moment. Simple yet effective. It`s what I have been doing with all coatings and with my mom`s car that has CanCoat on it.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

How about 20oz of destilled water and 1oz of Ech2o and 1oz of Cure. And use as a drying aid or QD product.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with The Guz train of thought here

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Thread Information