Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can anyone spare a small bit of Kamikaze ISM?

I bought my Miyabi and ISM after Esoteric restocked in mid/late Apr. Previously, both were out of stock. Not sure if you are on the same batch as when I bought. I haven`t had the same issue. If you don`t mind me asking, why didn`t you go for there Surface Film Coat which is meant to be used for PPF?

Post Thanks / Like

PPF when applied on a hood is pretty rough process. They lay, they pull, they yank, the squeege, they squeegee harder, to make sure the PPF sticks, and stretches to the contour of the hood, etc. The smudges you see only in certain light - can it just slightly thinner ppf film from it be ~worked~ and just a change in how you perceive the topcoat ?

Post Thanks / Like

Very good thought!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...for us polishing nuts, if only we seen how it`s applied. we would go apesh1t on the force applied or how it`s manipulated...
    Or the xacto knives...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saber732 View Post
    I bought my Miyabi and ISM after Esoteric restocked in mid/late Apr. Previously, both were out of stock. Not sure if you are on the same batch as when I bought. I haven`t had the same issue. If you don`t mind me asking, why didn`t you go for there Surface Film Coat which is meant to be used for PPF?
    I thought about using the Surface Film Coat but could not find any reviews or anyone who had experience with it. There are great reviews on Miyabe and ISM, and Esoteric applied those to PPF vehicles before the Surface Film Coat was available. So I wanted to stick with a tried and true product rather than going with something no one else has left feedback on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    PPF when applied on a hood is pretty rough process. They lay, they pull, they yank, the squeege, they squeegee harder, to make sure the PPF sticks, and stretches to the contour of the hood, etc. The smudges you see only in certain light - can it just slightly thinner ppf film from it be ~worked~ and just a change in how you perceive the topcoat ?
    I really doubt it since I can actually remove the smudges with APC or finishing polish. However, I guess it could be possible if the coating is leveled, smudges appear because of the thinness/thickness of the ppf in that area, and i`m just lowering the coating by applying the polish to make it all leveled. But if that were the case, this would show up in PPF coated vehicles that Esoteric puts out, which I don`t think customers would find acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, I think they told me only Miyabi for PPF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsainfreek View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking I`d have to do the whole lid. However, I`m unsure if I just removed the ISM layer or if I also removed the 2 Miyabe layers. Do you know if I may be able to tell?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsainfreek View Post
    Yeah, I thought about this too, but I was concerned that using a different coating may change the color characteristics of the trunk lid compared to the rest of the car. Would this not be a risk? The other coating I was looking at was Gyeon Syncro, but that`s $180 anyway. Is there something you would recommend?

BTW, thanks for the quick replies! I really appreciate the input.
    I can`t say how much you actually removed from the PPF. I`m a believer in a coating actually taking longer than 7 days to fully cure. So that is why I am thinking the APC was able to do that to a "freshly" applied coating.

I am also uncertain how porous PPF is. That may be something else that is happening.

If you decide to lightly polish off whatever is left you can apply any other coating. Doesn`t have to be a 2 part coating like Syncro. The new CQUK 3.0 would be just fine.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
    Get ahold of BudgetPlan1. I know he messes around with Kamikaze. He may be able to help you out. Or at least give you some advice.
    Yep, we`ve PM`d back and forth about it. I can`t comment on PPF as I`ve never dealt with it.

First time I used the combo I left some high spots that I didn`t find until later (days). It was the 3rd coating I`d used so I tried spot fixing, which worked OK with previous WG Uber & McKees V1.

The Kamikaze combo wanted no part of that though, due to the darkening effect of it. I now always try to finish the vehicle with a bit of both leftover (enough for a panel) in case something that doesn`t show up in the garage becomes apparent when pulled out into the sun, aka The Dream Killer.

In general though, I`ve found that trying to fix things at less than `panel level` in the end don`t work well for me. I usually end up making things worse...it`s a talent of mine (taking a small issue and turning it into a big mess)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information