Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: *Public Service Message* When Discussing Polishing Pads - Include the brand and specific line *Public Service Message*

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    ""Nobody reccomends running a da full boar.""
    Mike --

Well, with those that have the traditional design Random Orbital, and you need Pad Rotation to get the work done, and the best Pad Rotation is achieved by turning it on Speed-6, what is one supposed to do?

I suppose if one turns it up to Speed-6, puts all their body weight on the machine, it might kill the pad sometime,and probably the machine, but no one is really going to do that, right?
    No one on this Forum would recommend that or has ever recommended that technique...

Dan F
    Yup, it is ALL about technique and methodology, in combination of using the right compound/polish, the right pad, on whatever polishing machine you have.

There is a reason WHY when nubbies ask about what they need for such-and-such a polishing machine, the two top suggestions are:
    1) Lots of practice to gain experience
    2) Lots of pads for the size backing plate you have to:
    a) Change out frequently so you do not waist time constantly cleaning the 1 or 2 pads of that foam/microfiber type to continue working with a clean pad
    b) Prevent heat build-up on the pad Velcro adhesive, which will fail IF you get it too hot from overworking it, whether for too long a time or too much pressure, or both.
    I am the "uneducated" victim of item 2 and have ruined many a newer pad when it delaminated from the pad from too much heat. Morale of the story: Do not be cheap! Buy lots of pads. It is a "penny-wise-and-pound-foolish" attitude and there is no reason to learn the hard way. Learn from other detailer`s "misfortunes" (AKA ignorance and yes, stupidity!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: *Public Service Message* When Discussing Polishing Pads - Include the brand and specific line *Public Service Message*

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Yup, it is ALL about technique and methodology..
    And Critical Thinking
    There is a reason WHY when nubbies ask about what they need for such-and-such a polishing machine, the two top suggestions are:
    1) Lots of practice to gain experience
    That`s the one that I always get hung up on, if only because I`d think that most non-Pros simply won`t *DO* all that much correction (or at least shouldn`t). I`ve posted before about a gal-pal who borrowed my polisher/supplies and did her Lexus to her complete satisfaction when her hubby wasn`t getting around to it. Simple instructions (one typed sheet) from me, LOTS of thinking beforehand from her, a little time on some Test Spots, and she was good-to-go. Only issue was...sigh, yes indeed..that it took her SO long.
    b) Prevent heat build-up on the pad Velcro adhesive, which will fail IF you get it too hot from overworking it, whether for too long a time or too much pressure, or both.
    I am the "uneducated" victim of item 2 and have ruined many a newer pad when it delaminated from the pad from too much heat.
    Ah! No sooner do I post about how I don`t see that as an issue when you prove Mike lambert`s point that it *IS*!

Morale of the story: Do not be cheap! Buy lots of pads. It is a "penny-wise-and-pound-foolish" attitude and there is no reason to learn the hard way. Learn from other detailer`s "misfortunes" (AKA ignorance and yes, stupidity!)[/QUOTE]
    Another moral of that story is that just because I don`t experience problems I might not oughta make assumptions about what others will experience

I do think people oughta be able to sidestep "ignorance and stupidity" though Heh heh, but then I approach this stuff about the same way I approach using a chainsaw and IMO there are plenty of folks who should never touch one of those period. Gee, I spent *forever* reading and thinking before I first fired up my Stihl.."this here is serious business.." as the song goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    But I`m glad to hear that the GG Boss pads aren`t especially susceptible to that. You`ve really piqued my interest in the BOSS (15) system, and I was happy with my usual stuff!
    And I`ve been quite happy with MY usual stuff (namely the Flex 3401). But I`m pulling out the G15, BOSS Yellow Pad, and BOSS Perfecting Cream for an upcoming project. I did a couple of test spots for the guy, and *he* chose to go with the BOSS combo. Honestly, I`m kind of glad he did. I went and bought more BOSS Yellow pads, since I only had a few.

The job is tentatively scheduled for August. I`ll post a thread on it sometime after it`s done
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All Megs thins on the 5" and Lake County thins for the 3" because Meguiar`s doesn`t make 3" versions of their foams. I do use a lot of Meguiar`s microfiber pads now in both 3" and 5".

I tend to try to keep it simple and learn how to use one style or brand instead of experimenting with a bunch of different kinds.
    Purple Towel Detailing
    FB + IG: @purpletoweldetailing
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like I noted, I use the GG Boss pads majority (vast majority) of the time - I would like to know where they source them. Not over complicated pad choices, they make the sizes I need (5" + 3") and I have not destroyed a pad yet, running full bore on a GG 15. To Accumulator`s point - I don`t break out a polisher nearly as much as others, but I haven`t had to replace a Boss pad yet.

Always considering switching to Lake Country for the same reason as SWETM - support a local company. My kids go to camp in the same town they are headquartered (Oconomowoc, WI - great town and good back roads to drive on the way there).

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have never run a machine at 6 , very rarely at even 5. If you have the right technique, let the machine do the work and you’ll get the correction done. Without trying to sound like a butt, please look at the posts I’ve made or look at our Instagram page for some before and after. All done with various da machines at about 4 for speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I have never run a machine at 6 , very rarely at even 5. If you have the right technique, let the machine do the work and you’ll get the correction done. Without trying to sound like a butt, please look at the posts I’ve made or look at our Instagram page for some before and after. All done with various da machines at about 4 for speed.
    Guess it`s a YMMV situation, or a matter of differing perceptions regarding how long to spend on such stuff.

So I`d be a bit circumspect about saying "if you have the right technique" as I seen nothing *wrong* with using the higher speeds a the technique that has served me fine for so long. Heh heh, what..I should quit doing something that`s been 100% satisfactory for decades or stop recommending the same to others?!? I`d sure never expect *you* to change what *you`re* doing or recommending since it works so well for you. We offer two differing opinions and people can decide which, if either, way to go.

Not questioning your expertise or your work at *ALL* Mike, I think it turns out great and you`ve helped convince me to try stuff that I might not have othewise. No question that at a lower speed you can get the same results in a safer (for the paint, the pads) manner and if somebody prefers that route, great! And even if it`s a case of erring on the side of caution, that`s better than going the other way!

I just don`t see any reason to say/imply that doing it differently is wrong or that being more aggressive is (always) too risky. I get faster results with zero downside by running my polishers at their tops speeds much of the time, and none of mine came with caveats against using that top speed, if fact it`s often touted as a feature.

Hey, I seldom run my polishers at top speed on the `93 Audi, much less the Jag, because they`re just too fragile. But those are very unusual situations. Knowing when to be more/less aggressive is one of the basics and I assume people give that proper consideration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information