Post Thanks / Like

Not good results with Tufshine Tire clearcoat

Hello folks
    About two weeks ago, I tried the Tufshine tire treatment:
    Clean 3x with the Tire cleaner until foam is white. (This stuff works well, making brown bubbles upon first contact with the tire. But is there a cheaper alternative?)
    Then apply one layer of the Tufshine clearcoat. I had a bit of trouble because the foam pad was not good about evenly coating over small raised lettering, but whatever.
    Overall appearance after only one coat - tire was barely a little glossy. Not as black as Duragloss 253, but darker than "default tire".
    Over the next few days, the tire`s color lightened a bit to look more like "default tire", but the slight gloss was still there, making my tires look kind of like a glazed donut.
    These last few days, the tires took on more of a dirty brown-ish appearance, either from tire bloom, or brake dust settled on the tires.
    (My experience with the Duragloss, on the other hand, was that the tires stayed matte black the whole time until I washed them)
    Today, I washed the car, and in the process, used Poorboy`s Spray and Rinse on the rims. This totally attacked the Tufshine and left ugly streaks.
    In a mild fit of rage, I used the Tufshine wheel cleaner to remove the Tufshine and put Duragloss back on.
    I guess next time I wash again, I will see if the Poorboy`s will attack the Duragloss as well...

Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not good results with Tufshine Tire clearcoat

This is just a guess on my part.
    On 2 cars with the same brand of tires Tuf Shine worked beautifully on the first try.
    My off-road tires are a different story. Been cleaning and applying for 2 months and I get your results. I will think they are good and the next day they look like crap.
    There must be some slight difference in the manufacturing process of the tires because I know after 2 months of scrubbing the tires are clean.
    I used Tuf Shine, McKees 37, and Griots cleaners.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your results. Over the years I have used several tire dressings. I stopped this spring when I found and used #253. Amazing results and looks. And never had sling off once. I use the speedmaster tire dressing applicator to apply it. And clean the tires prior with 3D yellow degreaser. The so called rain guard in it I have found to be true. I can go 2-3 weeks before re applying it. It holds up to rain and a wash or two.

0529180921-00.jpg

My guess on the Tufshine is different tires are going to react different to it. I can recall years ago I tried the TW tire coating and it was a disaster. I had to strip the tires of it.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Chopper280, davidc, Stokdgs, Diner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Speed Master foam applicator. It works great on big lug off road tires.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Beanbag --
    Sorry this Tuf=Shine product did not work for you..
    What is the Brand Name of those tires ??
    I have never had trouble with Tuf-Shine on Yokohama, Goodyear, Michelin, and Pirelli Tires..
    The stuff sticks like paint and never comes off, streaks, acts up, etc...
    Perhaps go back to whoever you purchased this from and ask them if you can try a different batch ? Or are you fed up with it? I think you are..
    For sure, the little orange rectangular sponge applicator they sell is really great for this purpose and even better for applying coatings, sealants, etc...
    Im glad you had your back up plan and it worked better..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t say I get bad results (still use it) but I do like how Tuff Shine works on my car`s Continental much better than the wife`s car`s Bridgestone Ecopia`s. The Bridgestones seem much more finicky on how clean they need to be

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if they start or have already started making tires in China, we can only hope we survive it..
    As I personally see more things made there, and read the disasters people on Ebay have had with Chinese knock-offs, it is only going to get worse..
    I read a post recently from a guy on Ebay who purchased some NGK (made in Japan) spark plugs, and 2 of them were a different size and had to use a bigger socket on them !!!
    I have to pretty much believe those things were Chinese knock-offs, and not the real NGK product from Japan..
    What a pain..
    Dan F
    Likes Chopper280 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased Optimum`s Opti-bond Tire Gel after asking my fellow Autopians for a non-gloss tire protectant suggestions. I like it so far, as it is easy to apply and it does have a non-gloss new-tire look to it. The downside is it does not last very long; MAYBE two car washes or about 10 days if it rains once. There are always pros and cons to almost any car-care product. You just have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons.
    In certain instances I MIGHT go back to using Meg`s Endurance Tire Gel, but that would be by a customer request for someone who like extremely glossy-looking tires for 4-5 days and I know that this look will dissipate and the semi-glossy look will last 2-3 weeks on their tires, depending on environmental conditions.
    As for my own vehicle`s tires, I do not mind applying OO-bTG very other time I wash them to renew that new-tire look.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Hard tires to coat!
    Had plenty of time and gave my off road tires another try.
    Cleaned them with Tuf Shine tire cleaner using a carpet brush on a cordless drill. Works great!
    They looked very clean except a few spots that looked like mold release. I rubbed these with lacquer thinner and got about 70% off.
    Put on the Tuf Shine coating and it dried very fast with the humidity. 3 coats using a Speed Master applicator because the big lugs are hard to cover.
    Followed up with Dlux on the wheels.
    As of now they look really good. I’ll know tomorrow for sure.
    I think the carpet brush was the trick because the tires looked super clean.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information