Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel sealant question

The little "Three Finger Mitts" sheepskin from GG and..oh [shoot] I forget who it is, LC perhaps... work OK for the backs/barrels of my 5/6 spoke wheels. The similar foam ones are good too, but since they`re a smooth, continuous surface they don`t get down into nooks and crannies the way the sheepskin`s nap or the bristles of a BHB will.

With the noodle/dreadlock MF, I just don`t see how a [whatever diameter] strand can get into an area that`s smaller than that, and all of my wheels have such areas. Same reason why I couldn`t use them for washing many portions of the body proper even if the "thick strand" issue weren`t a concern with regard to marring.

Recessed valvestem pockets, similar recesses for lugs...even the openings in the faces of my BBS wheels...I just can`t get something thick in there to clean anything. It`s like trying to use such mitts to clean the tensioning spring/back sides of the wiper arms, doesn`t work for me and I can`t see how it could work for others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The little "Three Finger Mitts" sheepskin from GG and..oh [shoot] I forget who it is, LC perhaps... work OK for the backs/barrels of my 5/6 spoke wheels. The similar foam ones are good too, but since they`re a smooth, continuous surface they don`t get down into nooks and crannies the way the sheepskin`s nap or the bristles of a BHB will.

With the noodle/dreadlock MF, I just don`t see how a [whatever diameter] strand can get into an area that`s smaller than that, and all of my wheels have such areas. Same reason why I couldn`t use them for washing many portions of the body proper even if the "thick strand" issue weren`t a concern with regard to marring.

Recessed valvestem pockets, similar recesses for lugs...even the openings in the faces of my BBS wheels...I just can`t get something thick in there to clean anything. It`s like trying to use such mitts to clean the tensioning spring/back sides of the wiper arms, doesn`t work for me and I can`t see how it could work for others.
    The noodles work fine on the exterior side of my wheels. It’s the only area I use it on.The valve stems and lug nut areas need smaller media. I just use a thin microfiber towel and twist it to get in there.

As far as the barrels are concerned—hang on to your hat—I pretty much have stopped worrying about them. They’re such a PIA,I only really thoroughly clean them twice yearly when they’re off the car for my winter tire switch over.

This fall, I’m going to use a coating on them. I just haven’t decided which one yet.

BBS wheels,eh? Are those the nightmarish “snowflake” pattern wheels? And on a German car? The worst of both worlds,cleaning wise.

Post Thanks / Like

McKees Wheel Coating has worked very well for me. Since using it, soap and water are what I use to clean wheels. I`ve also used PoorBoys Wheel Sealant with good results and I think it provides a little more gloss than the McKees, but is more time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Older- Huh, OK. I can`t even do the faces with those noodle things, they just don`t conform to the contours as well.

Heh heh, I won`t disparage you for not worrying about the barrels On the Crown Vic, with full wheelcovers over steel wheels, I do *NOT* do the back sides or the barrels unless the wheels are off the car for some reason. Just. Don`t. Care. They end up getting done about annually.

I only do the BBS wheels at Seasonal Wheel/Tire Change time too.

And yeah, BBS` old-style wheels, just as you figured. OE on the `93 Audi which is apparently considered a Brake Dust Monster. Honestly though, it`s not a biggie at all. The time spent doing the intricate design is saved by not having to do as much on the back sides/barrels. FK1000P on `em, per usual; I considered coating them, but don`t think it`d be worth it.

OK...truth be told, I do a quickie job on the barrels most times since the car`s up on jacks/stands anyhow, but it`s not a proper job. And yeah, I do reach through the spokes to do the calipers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    McKees Wheel Coating has worked very well for me..
    Is it, uhm...Accumulator-proof-easy to apply? How long does it last you?

My GlossCoat dried up, and some time I`ll want to coat some wheels...
    Thanks DetailZeus thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information