Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Haven`t posted in many years -- since the Klasse / P21S days. Now what?

Old member of the old forum, gone for years, long story.

Anyway -- looking at buying a car I`d likely hand wash, something I`ve not done for years. I date back to the Klasse AIO/SG days, when Zaino was (mostly) loved by all the Corvette folks, P21S was a favorite wax, Wolfgang`s original paint sealant was loved on black cars, people liked that NXT key lime pie-smelling wax for a mass market product, etc. Took me five minutes of reading here today to start feeling like a caveman in the modern era.

Looking for a simple, robust setup with a minimum of maintenance on a gloss (non-matte) finish medium to dark grey paint color. For a guy who preferentially used the easier of the lot of products as above back in the day, what are the more liked products these days from the standpoint of simplicity in use/products required, yet durable? Cold weather (read: snow/salt in winter) climate, coupe, don`t have my PC 7424 handy.

Thanks in advance.
    Likes Mary B, itb76 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Haven`t posted in many years -- since the Klasse / P21S days. Now what?

Welcome back. There are several of us still here that remember those mentioned products well.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Mary B, itb76 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I used to love the NXT stuff. I`m now all in on coatings, i`ll about easy maintenance and protection. Saw a video the other day of polish angel`s master sealant which will pretty impressive.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to you Veri

I`ve been trying the Dr. Beasley`s Plasma coat, impressed by the ease of application. Like a sealant easy.
    Puts down a layer of thick protection, that you can wax as much as you want.
    Believe it`s a hybrid of coating and sealant.
    Top w/ Finish care 1000P and good to go.
    Likes Chopper280, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Veri View Post
    Old member of the old forum, gone for years, long story.

Anyway -- looking at buying a car I`d likely hand wash, something I`ve not done for years. I date back to the Klasse AIO/SG days, when Zaino was (mostly) loved by all the Corvette folks, P21S was a favorite wax, Wolfgang`s original paint sealant was loved on black cars, people liked that NXT key lime pie-smelling wax for a mass market product, etc. Took me five minutes of reading here today to start feeling like a caveman in the modern era.
    You sound almost like me.

I`m trying FK1000p as my LSP now and I`m pretty happy with it so far (coming from P21S Concours). I`m washing with either Poorboy`s SSS or CG Wash`n`Gloss depending on my mood. I don`t need to do a lot of polishing, but I "caught up" with modern times with Menzerna on my PC. I have IP1500, PG2500 and SF4000 - they change their line up so often those are already obsolete.

There are so many polishes out there I`d probably be happier or just as happy with something else. I could spend thousands and still not have any conclusions (but a lot less clear coat, and money). I definitely don`t regret the FK1000p so far - that`s for sure.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Veri, welcome back. I`m still using Zaino and Wolfgang sealant on occasion for people ask for it.
    Polish Angel is great. I`ve been watching a few videos on YouTube under master seal it. I have a couple of their products, and its fantastic. Little on the expensive side. Polish Angel, or CarPro CQuartz with a bottle of Reload I believe you`d love!

Post Thanks / Like

Took me five minutes of reading here today to start feeling like a caveman in the modern era.
    Don`t feel that way. What happened (IMO) is that what started out as more of a "club", was exploited (through the growth of the internet and online shopping) to explode the detailing market. The result is that there are so many good products, and much more advanced ones than in the "caveman" days. But the processes are still the same; clean, restore, protect, etc.

For a guy who preferentially used the easier of the lot of products as above back in the day, what are the more liked products these days from the standpoint of simplicity in use/products required, yet durable?
    I`m not really familiar with the Polish Angel products people are mentioning, but if you missed the WOWA revolution of 2007...if you`ve got a vehicle that`s in good condition you can use a product like Optimum Opti-Seal, Zaino Clear Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, or a couple of others, on all your surfaces, paint, glass, chrome, trim. There`s also several good "wash & wax" products (I know, that was heresy back in the day) that can help to maintain your LSP.
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs, itb76 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For easy I’ll throw out some ideas
    For LSP products :
    1. Polish angel high gloss
    2. IGL Premier
    3. Can coat (longest protection of the 3)

Post Thanks / Like

Vari:
    You ARE an old timer like me. I joined in August 2002. I still like carnauba waxes; have not gotten on the "coating" train (yet).
    IF you remember the Detailer`s Pride line, it has now morphed into McKee`s 37, which offer a wide variety of car-care products.
    Poorboy`s World still exists . Griot`s Garage is another car-care supplier that is getting a lot of good comments in this forum with the BOSS (Best-of-Show System) compounds, polishes, and wax products and polishing machines.

I HIGHLY suggest you check out the Autopian Store for car-care product and detailing equipment offerings. There are a plethora of newly-designed and upgraded polishing/buffing machines, referred to as long-throw (21mm or 15mm) dual-action (LT-DA) polishers OR the new direct-drive polishers that may pique your interest, not to mention the various pads that go with them.
    GB detailer
    Likes GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another option is Mckees 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant. It’s basically a “coating-lite”. Very easy, quick, economical, and is said to last 6 months. There are many choices to maintain it with as well, if that interests you.

Post Thanks / Like

And for whatever it’s worth, I’m new to the detailing game but I always study history, and am aware of and own most the products you mentioned (minus Zaino).

Post Thanks / Like

I was not on the forums back in 2002 but did join in 2010 (lurked much longer). I had a BMW in the early 00`s and there were clearly two camps; PS21`s wax, and Klasse. I fell strongly in the PS21s camp and as a wax i still think its hard to beat. When i got back into detailing i bought the griots BOSS polishes (all 4), but still have my megs 205/105. I actually switched back to using Duragloss on my cars as they bead for a solid 8 months down here in Florida and are stupid simple to apply and take off.....still caveman if you will. So duragloss and PS21s are still my main go too`s.

I will be getting cancoat which is one of the new ceramic coating (more hydrophobic, stain resistant) than wax or sealant. Its a good entry into that type of protection as you just mist into a rag, and dont have to worry as much about the install as a traditional coating.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who have been around... at what timeframe did Souveran come around the discussion threads to rival Klasse, P21S and the likes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    I was not on the forums back in 2002 but did join in 2010 (lurked much longer). I had a BMW in the early 00`s and there were clearly two camps; PS21`s wax, and Klasse.
    I don`t think those were two different camps; the founder of Autopia (and the Autopia store) considered Klasse topped with P21S to be "the perfect shine" and named his company that.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    For those of you who have been around... at what timeframe did Souveran come around the discussion threads to rival Klasse, P21S and the likes?
    Souveran was around back then, it just wasn`t sold at the Autopia store (it was a joint venture between two other entities), and so didn`t get talked about as much here, depending on what mood the owner at that time was in and what sponsorship agreements he had going.
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I switched to Souveran back in the learly `90s and it wasn`t new then. I got mine from Irene at TOL, it was marketed as a rival to Zymol.
    Likes acuRAS82, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information