Thread: Wood trim care?

Post Thanks / Like

Wood trim care?

I`m assuming that all the "wood" trim in cars is either faux wood or wood coated with some type of protective finish, or else humidity and temp changes would wreak havoc. If indeed real wood with a coating, what would be proper care for the trim? I guess any interior cleaner and detailer used for vinyl would be appropriate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wood trim care?

Typically I use the same RW/QD solution that I used to wash or help dry the car. Use that on all the plastic/wood trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. Onr.

Post Thanks / Like

For regular upkeep I use my Interior QD, generally 1ZCP (uhm, whatever NextZett is calling it these days..). If I`m feeling Autopian I`ll LSP it, but that`s pretty rare.

Correcting it gets tricky after a while as the finishes vary and/but are all pretty thin/fragile IME.

I`ll admit that I no longer correct it to Autopian standards After years of trying to keep up with the wear and tear I decided that 1) it was a losing battle and 2) compromising the finish that`s left would open a nasty can-o`-worms that I don`t want to deal with.

Easy to *say* you`ll keep it perfect, but give it a few decades of regular real world use, and well...adjust plans accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I`m assuming that all the "wood" trim in cars is either faux wood or wood coated with some type of protective finish, or else humidity and temp changes would wreak havoc. If indeed real wood with a coating, what would be proper care for the trim? I guess any interior cleaner and detailer used for vinyl would be appropriate.
    If it is indeed real wood infused with a coating, you can polish it with any level 3-4 polish and protect it with a paste wax like Collinite 476S. I have polished several wood humidors and I can tell you the coating is thick and infused deep into the wood and will even take 2000 grit sanding to remove imperfections and polished back to a shine.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Hello Bob M !
    I have been using Zaino All In One Cleaner Polish Protectant (ZAIO) for over 15 years on all the wood trim on hundreds of vehicles and it has always improved the look, feel, and even left a little protection on the trim.

It says this on the front of the bottle - " Excellent daily driver solution, Easy Zaino wet gloss and durability, Quick single product application, Safe for all paint types, Ultra-fine paint cleansing, Safely removes minor imperfections, Does not contain oils or fillers, 16 FL ozs. (473ml) Made in the USA".

I apply it with a soft microfiber and using 1 finger, rub it with mild pressure into the wood trim, let it dry for a few seconds, wipe of off with soft microfiber...
    It always improves the look and gloss of the trim, have never had an issue with it..
    1 - 16oz bottle will probably last a lifetime of trim cleaning and conditioning..

For just maintenance dusting/cleaning if needed, I also use Einszett, 1Z, Nextzett, Cockpit Premium, for about the same number of years, and never had issues with it on the wood trim, plastic, Nav screens, or the clear plastic over the gauges, etc..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

What would be the factory "coating" on the wood - some type of clear "plastic" or polyurethane? And if wood, I guess its a thin veneer, not solid wood?

In my Audi, the `wood" trim is walnut and has a high gloss, thick coat on top that is very, very susceptible to minor scratches - which I will try a superfine polish in a small area to see if I can get them out. And I have been using Griot`s interior cleaner since it is a very obviously heavily coated, with good results. But I am very curious about the woods with "open pores" not the high gloss coated woods. Would the same care apply - or probably a dumb question, could/would you use a polish made for wood? I`m guessing no on the wood polish.

Post Thanks / Like

While I can’t answer what the coating is, I can say your wood trim is actually wood under there.

+1 for just using your rinseless of choice. I’ve really liked using the ONR Wash and Wax for wood trim. Leaves the wood a bit slicker, helping with clean up next round. Haven’t had any trouble if I accidentally get it on other surfaces nearby.

I’ve actually played around with some old interior pieces (dash, visors, armrests, etc) using various rinseless products, quick interior detailer, Optiseal and such and haven’t had any of them leave the surface obviously different than each other.

Not sure what the care and feeding is for open pore wood trim. Not likely to have/clean any any time soon, but be interesting to hear what people have found.

Post Thanks / Like

bob m- I`ve corrected the interior wood`s finish in Audis countless times. Just treat it like clearcoat, a pretty soft clearcoat. Don`t let it`s apparent thickness seduce you into overdoing it, you sure don`t want to need a refinish!

oneheadlite- I`m not familiar with the "open pore" wood...what, isn`t it coated with *anything*?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bob m- I`ve corrected the interior wood`s finish in Audis countless times. Just treat it like clearcoat, a pretty soft clearcoat. Don`t let it`s apparent thickness seduce you into overdoing it, you sure don`t want to need a refinish!

oneheadlite- I`m not familiar with the "open pore" wood...what, isn`t it coated with *anything*?

This is the "open pore" wood that I was referring to.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the wood I have and its coated - but a supersoft, too easily scratched finish. Super soft that when I ran my ginger over it once (hands were very dry, slight scratches appeared. Yes, I use the Griot`s Interior cleaner with good results. And the reason I questioned whether this is real wood is to look at this gorgeous burl in the picture. Must be the thinnest of veneers as you are getting this level of wood on a 50k car.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob M- Huh, never saw that open-pore stuff before. The coated wood in your second pic looks just like what`s in my wife`s A8.

Post Thanks / Like

After cleaning the wood trim with rinse less wash I put on a coat of Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant.
    Last edited by Chopper280; 06-25-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Wrong Product

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Bob M- Huh, never saw that open-pore stuff before. The coated wood in your second pic looks just like what`s in my wife`s A8.

Yep, kinda a new offerings gray oak.

Post Thanks / Like

bob m- Eh, they used a gray stain on the wood in my S8, and it looks like [crap] compared to the nice burled elm in the A8. "OOH, dark gray wood, how sporty!" or somesuch nonsense. Heh heh, if I ruled the world I`d have made that optional, along with the "can`t take it anywhere but it handles better" ride height

Chopper280- How do you like the WG? A member here sent me some for my (oh so neglected ) Crown Vic but I haven`t tried it yet.

Thread Information