Post Thanks / Like

Marine 31 Captains Coating problems

Yeah, I know it`s not car related, but I don`t think the boat section gets much action.......

Just curious to see if anyone else has had any issues applying Marine 31`s Captains Coating.

I tried this stuff out on my father in laws boat last year, and it was a real son of a.......to work with. I don`t recall how hot it was, but their boat was in the shade when I used it. Applied with a foam applicator and worked in small sections. The applicator would get sticky almost instantly when wiping it across the surface and I had to wipe incredibly hard with a microfiber towel to buff it out. Chalked it up to user error......

Fast forward to last night doing my own boat finally. I compounded and polished using Marine 31`s heavy cut and final polish (which are both a treat to work with), and then wiped the whole boat down twice with Eraser to make sure I got any remaining oils off. Tried using a suede cloth instead of a pad this time, boat has been in the garage all week, and temps have been in the 70`s. Application sucked just as bad as the first time. I initially went to work on 1` x 1` sections using minimal product. I applied it by wiping on the whole section going one direction, then turning 90 degrees and wiping up and down, and then one more time going side to side. It started getting sticky after literally one swipe across the section and by the time I got to the end of applying it to a section I could hardly get the applicator to move along the surface it was so sticky. Then the fun part of buffing it out with a microfiber towel.....it was literally like trying to buff out sticker adhesive. I had to wipe insanely hard all the while the towel just wanted to ball up because it didn`t want to move across the surface.

I`ve applied a few different brands of coatings to several cars, so I`m not foreign to the process. I tried smaller sections, bigger sections, very little product, a moderate amount of product, buffing out instantly, buffing out after waiting a minute......I`m honestly not sure what else I could`ve tried.

Is there any chance I could`ve gotten a bad bottle? I had kind of a similar experience with a bottle of 3D Compound and sure enough I did get a bottle out of a bad batch.....they sent out a new one and it worked great. Doing some quick searching last night I came across a guys review that talked about how big of sections he could do and how gently and easy it wiped off after applying to a section. My experience on 2 different boats was completely opposite.

I`ve got at least half the bottle left, but it`s headed for the garbage. It is literally the most miserable detailing product of any kind that I`ve ever dealt with.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marine 31 Captains Coating problems

Sounds like a bad product. I haven’t tried it. Coatings are all pretty much the same. I don’t know why a boat coating would be more difficult to apply than a car coating. I imagine the Marine 31 Coating is just a relabeled car coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Sounds like a bad product. I haven’t tried it. Coatings are all pretty much the same. I don’t know why a boat coating would be more difficult to apply than a car coating. I imagine the Marine 31 Coating is just a relabeled car coating.
    Only the people that make it know for sure, but supposedly there`s something different that makes it work on porous gelcoat vs. Clearcoat on a car

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully someone else that has used the Marine 31 product will chime in with their experience using the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a very big PITA coating to use. I have done a couple boats with it. Very similar issues to the old blackfire crystal coat. You legit have to wipe on and wipe off. The thing that I didn`t like is that the left over product is pretty much no good after a little bit. I didn`t have too much trouble with a brand new bottle but once I went back use it again a month later it was a sticky mess.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information