Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Kitchen Floor Cleaning

Very off topic, I had a "luxury vinyl tile" floor installed about 9 months ago. It is in my kitchen and dining room. I have used different cleaners since then. The most recent has been Meguiars D107. I was underwelmed, a lot like when I used it to clean tires this weekend but that is another story.

Does anyone have this LVT in their house and found ANY thing they are happy with? I am tempted to try ONR.

Everything I have used both Megs APC as well as a host of OTC seems to leave a film where 12 hours later all I see are foot prints.

I know this is out of the norm but I also know a lot of you use car products around the home.

TIA

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kitchen Floor Cleaning

Hello screeby
    I`d look for the PH balanced kind.
    Sounds like there might be a soap build up, so wash it with water a couple times. Then dry mop it thoroughly.
    The dry mopping pulls any left over dirt and soap off, which can be stubborn.
    Hope it helps
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You need a neutral cleaner. Keep in mind a dusty or dirty foot print will show up on the cleanest of floors. Look for a hydrogen peroxide based neutral cleaner. Try finding a product called double o seven. Works great.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got travertine tile, and have used several rinseless products and a decent number of apc’s (both detailing chemicals and household floor cleaners). The APC’s I’ve tried do leave that sticky residue. You have to go over them afterward with a mop with only water. Not worth it for me. My favorite has been megs D114 at about 1oz per gallon. Pre-spray from spray bottle, then go over with damp MF mop head (Rasta kind).

I try to stick with pet safe products in the house, but the products recommended on some of the pet sites, and the multi surface cleaners advertised as green and pet friendly left sticky residue after they dried unless I just sprayed only one or two light sprays on the wet Rasta mop head then mopped a large section of floor. Hardly any product being used which makes me think the damp microfiber by itself would work just as well as the grocery store “green” products.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I mop the floors (hardwood and bathroom tile) with ONR and it does a great job. Smells real nice too Kitchen Floor Cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading somewhere I think the Bona site, where they said most flooring products come with a coating that has to be removed completely before you can actually clean it..
    This may or may not apply to the tile you had installed..
    Did the tile people leave any information from the manufacturer on how to take care of this product ?
    All I can tell you about my experiences with flooring is that I used that dreaded Bona on my laminate wood flooring and it coated it so hard and ruined the nice shine it used to have, I will never use that stuff again..
    If you are really good at rinsing whatever you are putting on there, then you can eliminate that.. If not, well then perhaps look at rinsing it really well, and see if you still get a film later...
    Perhaps there IS something from the factory on your tile that is going to interfere with what you are doing..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I have LVT floors in my entire house. Odoban at a light concentrate in a bucket with a bunch of microfibers and a brush if you need to scrub that heavy works very well. Scrub a large section then wipe dry with MF

Clorox wipes work well too.

For protection or spot cleaning if you think you need it BSD works good cause it’s not slick. Don’t use like IUDJ, Blackfire waterless, UBER, etc cause you will slip and slide everywhere especially with socks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My entire down stairs consists of LVT with my family room being ceramic. No mop and bucket as I don`t want to spread dirty water. I`ve been using this with great success for the last couple years. For cleaning I use a ph neautral mix of water and Rejuvenate.

https://www.hoover.com/floormate-del...UBBERS#start=1
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What a relief that I am not the only person trying to find something that works nice. Its also like the auto world as everyone has what works for them.

The Hoover Floormate looks interesting. I used to have a steam mop that I loved but quit heating up.

The most consistant luck I have had is the cleaner in a spray bottle, a clean water bucket and a towel. Spray it on, mop by hand, keep fresh water in the bucket. With a 85lbs english bulldog and 2 children under 6, this floor has taken a beating all ready. Thank you for all the ideas, I have some I will try that may help me in the future and ideas to look for.

Thanks again guys.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Bissel steam mop as well that I use for spot touch up but that thing is howling loud.

Post Thanks / Like

Regulars here know that we live in a woods, with acres of undeveloped areas for the (big, active) dogs to romp in before reentering through the dogdoor. Certain floors need cleaned every day of the year with no exceptions.

Both of our Hoover FloorMates were quite disappointing, but that might be a function of the (ceramic tile) flooring I use them on. Just didn`t scrub `em all that well, nor pick up enough water for my satisfaction. I do better down on my hands and knees with the Cyclo, a hand brush, a spray bottle of cleaner, a bucket of water, and a stack of MFs.

But for daily cleaning I just use a MF on a MicrofiberTech dot com mop, dampened with some cleaner. Takes maybe three rinse/repeat cycles for a quick improvement. Sure not perfect, but good enough that the bigger job doesn`t have to happen as often.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m in the same position. 2 nutso dogs and worse 2 teenage boys who clean by wiping the mud on the floor after dirtbike riding. I changed the bristle head ( you can get a couple) as the one it comes with is general purpose.
    Now had ya prepped with some fk1000 the water would have all been sucked up

Post Thanks / Like

I have tile on the ground floor where we see most of the traffic with 3 dogs and family in and out all day long. I have to sweep multiple times a day and usually mop at the end of the night with the swiffer wet mop. Its not perfect but it helps and I usually have to use 6 pads for the floor (thanks costco for bulk). For deep cleaning and getting in the grout I usually pull out my steamer and use that with APC and a bunch of MFs. I do that one to two times per month where time permits. Ugh I hate the tiles its a struggle and we have talked about ripping them out and getting LVT installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some McKees N914 at an 8:1 dilution. It works as a paint prep at that dilution so it should work well to clean vinyl flooring and not leave the floor slippery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
    Now had ya prepped with some fk1000 the water would have all been sucked up
    Heh heh, good one

Oh I`m envious of you who can go so long between floor cleanings! The last time we skipped *one day* it resulted in a lot more work the next.

Oh, and I hope the kids that were mentioned know how good they have it! Had I made a mess of anything I would`ve been expected to clean it up, and properly. Yeah...even before I was in gradeschool, before I was old enough to read. Nobody in our household ever made any mess without being expected to clean up after himself, applied to my parents, applied to me. The idea of anybody cleaning up after somebody *else* was simply a foreign concept.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information