Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kitchen Floor Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nobody in our household ever made any mess without being expected to clean up after himself, applied to my parents, applied to me. The idea of anybody cleaning up after somebody *else* was simply a foreign concept.
    It’s very disturbing to me when I come across people my age (28) that are simply incapable of cleaning up after themselves.

I, admittedly, grew up in an unusual environment that was prone to being very dirty (we had 9 Labrador’s in my grandmothers basement until I was 17, when my parents could afford a house) so cleaning was just a part of life. Vacuuming every night, cleaning up dirty paw prints, you name it.

I’d become so accustomed to cleaning that by time I had my own room (shared one with my older brother at my grandmothers house) I wouldn’t even decorate it because it just meant I had to move stuff around when I went to dust/clean my room. I did this monthly.

I met my gf when I was 17, and I still remember the first time I had dinner with her family. Her mother is a master cook, and it still impresses me to this day. But, watching them pile dishes into the sink as we made dinner was honestly just short of traumatizing.

Pots, pans, dirty plates, piled as high as you can imagine. Every fiber of my being wanting to just clean them as we moved along.. instead of spending a ridiculous amount of time afterwards.

As I grew up and learned to cook [mom worked a lot and my step dad was stationed at Ft Bragg (which is in NC for those that down know, and we lived in MD)] I also learned it’s just SO much easier to clean up as you go when you get the chance. Nowadays when I make us dinner by time I’m done there’s nothing but a cutting board (or something similar) that needs to be cleaned up.

Kind of a long post, but something I actually think about often. What a life it would be to not focus so much on cleaning. I feel the same way about detailing sometimes. If I could unsee swirls, just imagine being happy that your car is clean and waxes.

I guess becoming involved in detailing was inevitable at some point Kitchen Floor Cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

finick- I agree entirely!

I go both ways on "cleaning during", sometimes it`s more efficient to let `em pile up for a few and other times that just makes for more work.

Heh heh, if we get your FK1000P problems squared away and you dial in your wash regimen, maybe all you *will* have to do is wash and wax; that`s basically all I ever do. Or you could work on unseeing the marring Some of the most enjoyable car ownership experiences I`ve ever had were with ones I didn`t keep nearly Autopian, just drove the wheels off `em and loved every minute of it.

Post Thanks / Like

finick- I agree entirely!

I go both ways on "cleaning during", sometimes it`s more efficient to let `em pile up for a few and other times that just makes for more work.

Heh heh, if we get your FK1000P problems squared away and you dial in your wash regimen, maybe all you *will* have to do is wash and wax; that`s basically all I ever do. Or you could work on unseeing the marring Some of the most enjoyable car ownership experiences I`ve ever had were with ones I didn`t keep nearly Autopian, just drove the wheels off `em and loved every minute of it.
    Yeah, it definitely depends on what’s being made.. i meal prep a lot so I tend to have stuff on the stove/in the oven for 15-25 minutes at a time so I generally get the chance to clean up while I cook. Other times I don’t, but I almost always like to have the majority cleaned up before I sit down to eat or it’ll drive me mad.

I’m definitely a lot more lenient on the amount of marring I tolerate than I used to be.. I try to aim for 85-90% free of defects, which in reality it ends up maybe being more. It just doesn’t seem realistic for me to worry about keeping it perfect when my cars driven daily, and kept outside most nights. It’ll still look better than nearly any car I’m parked next to!

I did call Finish Kare today.. a few hours ago. Spoke with a nice woman who had never heard of a problem like mine (the smearing/streaks that line up with my last pass of my applicator) and she took me info and said someone would call me about it. Been a few hours, so I may call back. I made it clear I mostly just want information I can pass along to the forums so anyone searching about application/removal issues may be able to come across a post with official recommendations about what to do.

From what I’ve seen.. most people that encounter issues give up on the product. Being the frugal (some say cheap) person that I am, I feel like product is too good of a value to give up on just yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a mix of hardwood, laminate, and linoleum in our house. I use a double sided flat microfiber mop thing (I think O Cedar?) that`s low nap on one side, microfiber finger on the other. I`ll spray the low nap side of the head, then the floor with ONR mixture, mop, then chase it with the finger side to make sure there are no streaks. Streaking only seems to be a slight issue on the laminate.

Oh, and I hope the kids that were mentioned know how good they have it! Had I made a mess of anything I would`ve been expected to clean it up, and properly. Yeah...even before I was in gradeschool, before I was old enough to read. Nobody in our household ever made any mess without being expected to clean up after himself, applied to my parents, applied to me. The idea of anybody cleaning up after somebody *else* was simply a foreign concept.
    Our 3 year old is already really good about cleaning up after herself. You can even ask her - "It`s ok to make a mess, as long as...?" "You clean it up when you`re done."
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

finick- Heh heh, I have a pal who can`t stand if somebody *else`s* kitchen isn`t all tidy before sitting down to eat. You have me thinking of our Christmas Dinner, where I spend so long cleaning up afterwards that there`s no way it could be done before sitting down!

I like that you`re happy with "Best in the Parking Lot" condition!

Wonder if you spoke with Leda when you called FK, she`s swell. I`ll be very interested to hear what they say.

oneheadlite- Oh am I envious you can do only that! Last night it took four goes at every section to get our kitchen floor clean! Looked fine, but the MF kept coming up dirty.

I`m only using a rinseless on the floor of the bathroom in the shop/"New Garage" (textured ceramic tile), I just use the same IUDJ cloth that I use on our trashcan since I`m OK with just doing that floor weekly.

And that`s *great* about your 3YO! That`s gonna serve her well in life.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Iocori- Noting that, uhm...different paints can be different...my painted concrete floors are *not* particular about what I use on `em. Really nasty grease-messes get a spritz of degreaser/All Purpose Cleaner to help emulsify the stuff, and that hasn`t hurt anything yet. BUT again, if yours have something different on them I`d hate for you to try my suggestion and [mess] them up.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

ONR and Power Clean if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

It might sound weird, but I`ve heard laundry detergent works well for cleaning up oil spots on driveways/garage floors. Seems like it`d be plenty safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Late to the party , but the best linoleum/vinyl floor cleaner I`ve used is Armstrong`s Once `n Done Floor Cleaner. Expensive, but it does work without streaking.
    Never thought of using Optimum`s No-Rinse (ONR) and their Power Clean together for cleaning kitchen floors. If someone comes up with a home-made recipe of how much of ONR and OPC to add to a gallon of water for floor cleaning, let us know.

As far as cleaning garage/shop floors, I use Stearn`s Packaging Corp.`s Jungle-Jake Cleaner/Degreaser diluted to two ounces to a gallon of water. It`s a "less-expensive" degreaser soap I found at Mills Fleet-Farm in the upper Midwest. I`ve never used something like Zep`s Heavy Duty Citrus Cleaner or their 505 Fast Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser, which might be suitable soaps as well. I use a Schmop to clean the floors, which is a large, rectangular mop head with a removeable elastic-banded cotton-nap cloth that is stretched over this rectangular head. The "hard part" is that it must be removed and rinsed in the degeaser soap solution, wrung out, and reapplied/stretched over the head to wipe the floor. It covers a very large area in a short time, depending on how dirty your floors are. It is a GREAT tool for cleaning walls and ceilings, provided that wall or ceiling texture is not too rough, like a stucco. If you are using TSP-substitute soap for cleaning walls or ceilings prior to painting, wear some type of rubber or nitrile gloves to protect chemically chapping your hands.
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to be very particular about having things perfectly clean. While I like things neat, due to circumstances in life and age, I`m at the point where spotless isn`t a priority anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Iocori- Heh heh, might not thank me until you get that floor clean, what works OK for me might not work at all for you

wannafbody- And here I`m getting *more* inclined to keep things spotless as I get older

CleanIt- Did you mean *mix* the ONR and PC together or use the PC first and then the ONR?

I`m using a RW on two of our (granite) tile floors...ONR on one and IUDJ on the other. Note that depending on the floor such products might leave things a bit too slick for some applications.

Ever since I started steam-mopping the kitchen floor (ceramic tile) every night, I`ve hardly had to do *any* real deep cleaning, even the grout is staying nice (it`s sealed with an epoxy-based colorant so I guess it *oughta* be low-maintenance, but then again it`s been 20-some years).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information