Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

New to This Which Polisher Should I Buy?

Hi Hope I`m allowed to do this

I`m new to all this intending to install Gyeon Syncro on my Kia Stinger (Black) And its about a month / 1200 miles old

If I can only afford one polisher to do the prep work and im new to this what would you suggest for the whole car?

I assume something the size of a Rupes IBird Nano is too small to reasonably do the whole car ... but feel like bigger pads wouldnt get into the areas of the bumper or under the door handles

Advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to This Which Polisher Should I Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by KBS756 View Post
    Hi Hope I`m allowed to do this

I`m new to all this intending to install Gyeon Syncro on my Kia Stinger (Black) And its about a month / 1200 miles old

If I can only afford one polisher to do the prep work and im new to this what would you suggest for the whole car?

I assume something the size of a Rupes IBird Nano is too small to reasonably do the whole car ... but feel like bigger pads wouldnt get into the areas of the bumper or under the door handles

Advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!
    You will have to do some hand polishing. I would go with a GG 6 with a 3" and 5" plate and pads. The 5" will do the majority of the car. The 3" will get into tighter areas, then what`s left (which won`t be a lot) you can polish by hand.

Nice car by the way! Black is one of the hardest to polish, fortunately it`s a new car so should be fairly easy.
    Likes Stokdgs, JSFM35X liked this post
    Thanks JSFM35X thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    You will have to do some hand polishing. I would go with a GG 6 with a 3" and 5" plate and pads. The 5" will do the majority of the car. The 3" will get into tighter areas, then what`s left (which won`t be a lot) you can polish by hand.

Nice car by the way! Black is one of the hardest to polish, fortunately it`s a new car so should be fairly easy.
    I second Dave’s above recommendation. The GG6 is an excellent machine to get high quality results on a smaller than professional scale (by the way Pros find uses for this machine too) while keeping a budget in mind. It has a great warranty from a company that will stand behind it. I think it has legs and can grow with you. Somewhere down the road you may wish to upgrade your arsenal but should that time ever come the GG6 can still make an excellent dedicated carpet scrubber or 3” machine. I simply don’t think you can go wrong with this machine as a first time polisher with the only caveats being, a need to do a higher volume of vehicles or your working on paint requiring significant corrections. If that is the case there are of course higher end machines like Rupes or Griot’s Boss machines, both brands are excellent.

Now if the price of this polisher is beyond reach, well... I’d suggest you save up for it and find some way to make it happen. Your pads and supplies in the long run will cost you the same as other machines but I feel the Griot’s machine is a step above my following recommendations. If the cost is still out of the question you may want to look at Porter Cable’s machine as an alternate option (not a significant price difference from the GG6) and lastly, Harbor Freight’s polisher. Stay away from HF’s pads, LC pads are a good value. I have all three of the machines I’ve mentioned as well as higher end machines and a couple of rotaries. Once again, in my opinion, the GG6 is an all around winner for the home user with a couple of vehicles and a few friends.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Would appreciate if someone could link me to a guide on hand polishing and what I would need to do that as well

the Grigots one better than this https://www.amazon.com/Maxshine-Acti.../dp/B07343W387 ? thats what i was looking at

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t actually watch this. Hand polishing is pretty simple, same principle as machine polishing. Get a hand polishing pad. I`ve used those little yellow foam discs to hand polish behind door handles before. Here is a video comparing hand and machine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVDyhiXa5fs

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, go with the GG6 + 5" conversion kit. Couple that with some Griots BOSS 5.5" pads and the BOSS lineup of creams. Simple, easy and effective
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum, KBS756 !
    Congrats on a beautiful car ! And in my favorite color !

All the info posted above ^^^^ is spot on feedback, from great, experienced men..

Having done a zillion behind-door-handle pockets, what has always worked for me, is a soft, white, cotton towel, a little moist compound, and 1 finger under that, to run the area back and forth, and if possible up and down for a bit.. Sometimes, depending on how many fingernail marks, are there, it may take a couple or more passes..
    But it will come out beautiful if the marks are not deep or done by something sharp like keys, etc..

The problem with trying to use a machine and a pad for this area is the sharp line that outlines the door handle pocket..
    The paint is - thinner - on that line and you are going to hit it with the pad and still the pad will not be able to conform to the depth of the pocket, and then you run the risk of hitting the door handle itself with the machine and possibly damaging that door handle edge..

The best all around pad size as already stated above will be the 5" pad with appropriate backing plate..
    Same for the smaller sizes - 4" or 3" pads with appropriate backing plates, and you are set for anything..
    These smaller size pads are also great for polishing all the outside glass, headlights, taillights, some smaller areas of bumpers, etc..

Looks like you are going to have a great experience with this !

I have heard nothing but great feedback from the Griot`s line of compounds and polishes, and machines; perhaps that will be all you will need for a long, long time..

Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

how many pads of each type do you go through on a car? or is 2 enough if you keep cleaning them? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a link to a post by Mike Phillips on Autogeek to help answer your question:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...=how+many+pads
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know where you located but there are some nice deals in the open box thread.

Open Box Deals!
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs, Liz@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maxshine M15/M21 or Shurhold 3500 21mm long throw on Amazon. Maxshine makes the GG6 8mm polisher for Griot`s so for around the same cost why not get a long throw DA instead.

Likes KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I don`t know where you located but there are some nice deals in the open box thread.

Open Box Deals!
    No kidding !!
    I`d jump on a Griots Boss15 or Rupes15 waaay before a Maxshine and especially a SSSSSSSSSShurhold.
    A year down the road you will thank yourself !
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBS756 View Post
    how many pads of each type do you go through on a car? or is 2 enough if you keep cleaning them? thanks
    Simple thing to remember before all this rainbow range of colors of pads have become the norm these days:
    Yellow = Aggressive for Compounding White = Polishing Black = Finishing

I suggest you get 1x yellow depending how bad paint correction you need, 2x or more of the white as this is the workhorse pad every year once your paint is properly maintained and 1x for applying glazes and sealants or wax ! I personally have no use for both the yellow and black these days, white is all I need !
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

KBS756- Welcome to Autopia!

Noting that I have quite a few polishers, I recommend the Griot`s Boss15.

I have the GG6" and it`s OK but not really in the same class.

The Rupes Mini is nice but not as versatile as the GG Boss15.

I don`t see a 21mm throw being optimal for a DIYer who`s not doing major correction all the time.

You`ll need *FAR* more pads than you can possibly imagine, even if using compressed air to clean them on the fly. Seriously. They get loaded with dried product and cut-off clear and that compromises their effectiveness.
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information