Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to This Which Polisher Should I Buy?

Does the brand of pad matter or just the size ? and if im applying Gyeon coatings does it make sense to use gyeon polish and primer?

Does Max Shine make the Griots Boss ? if so isnt the max shine a cheaper version of that ? seems like it has the same power throw and size on quick reading of specs

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBS756 View Post
    Does Max Shine make the Griots Boss ? if so isnt the max shine a cheaper version of that ? seems like it has the same power throw and size on quick reading of specs

Thanks again
    Just a thought that all of us know but sometimes seem to forget, “made by”, doesn’t necessarily mean “same as”. Though I recommended the GG6 above and still do so. If you can afford a better machine the Rupes or Boss 15’s are excellent choices.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I may be able to stretch my budget some ... can the rupes or boss go down to 3" though like the other one suggested?

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes and Boss 15/21 machines can’t use 3 inch backing plates. I would also suggest the GG 6. Your car is new and I would think not much correction would be necessary. Since you are new to this hobby it is probably a good idea to stay in the same product line. Gyeon make a good primer polish that will make applying the Gyeon coating easier. For your first correction/coating keeping everything as simple as possible is best.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Mary B thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

For any work, I want to have a minimum of 6 pads and have another 6 of those same pads in the cabinet.. For every size and color... Things can happen to pads, usually the worst is the velcro backing starts to pull off, etc.. Have to now get another one... Maybe you can repair that one with glue for awhile, but you can`t use it again that day, and you need to wash it first, then dry it..

If you don`t have enough pads, and have to wash them up, they will not be dry in 24 hours if they are foam, and may even take longer than 36 hours or more to fully dry, depending on your ambient temps in the garage, etc...

The more water you squeeze out of them of course, the faster they will dry.. Just have to be careful that you don`t start the velcro backing delamination in this process..
    If you spin them at 3,000 on my Makita, they will dry faster still...
    Dan F
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBS756 View Post
    I may be able to stretch my budget some ... can the rupes or boss go down to 3" though like the other one suggested?
    Long throw polishers don’t do small pads. Porter Cable and Griot’s GG6 seem to be able to pull this off without too much difficulty.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for a one and done or do you plan to correct your paint and other cars again. If so I’d invest in somethig better even a flex or rupes so you don’t have to upgrade later.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

for now just the 2 cars i have one older one i want to try to clean up too

but for now mostly just to do the stinger and coating

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Long throw polishers don’t do small pads. Porter Cable and Griot’s GG6 seem to be able to pull this off without too much difficulty.
    Mi Hermano El Gear_Head1 ---
    I never knew that those long throw guys could not do smaller backing plates... Guess the reason is because they cause so much more friction = heat, they dont want that, right ? Or, the longer throw with smaller pad = destroying the smaller pad quickly, etc.. ?
    I mean, can you not put a smaller backing plate on them ??
    Just curious - you know me - Mr. Rotary Power...
    Dan F
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the GG 6 idea the best. You can pick one up at an Auto parts store, use different size BPs and pads, good quality machine.
    When you do upgrade, the GG6 becomes a nice carpet cleaner for it`s smaller size.
    I also use my 8mms. for waxing.

By the way
    WELCOME KBS756

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...I`m still envious of you folks who can be satisfied with the GG6. OK, it does OK with 3-4" pads all right. Doesn`t seem to do as well as my Rupes Mini, though.

I`d consider a Polisher a long-time investment, a tool that you`ll want to be satisfied with decades from now. So with all the recent advances, I`d be after something I was certain I`d still be happy with for a long, long time. Wouldn`t want to be thinking "gee, I wish this went faster.." when I`m twenty years older than now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh...I`m still envious of you folks who can be satisfied with the GG6. OK, it does OK with 3-4" pads all right. Doesn`t seem to do as well as my Rupes Mini, though.

I`d consider a Polisher a long-time investment, a tool that you`ll want to be satisfied with decades from now. So with all the recent advances, I`d be after something I was certain I`d still be happy with for a long, long time. Wouldn`t want to be thinking "gee, I wish this went faster.." when I`m twenty years older than now.
    The Harbor Freight DA is a more powerful machine than the GG6 ! I don`t own either because shipping cost from HF to Canada will cost me more than buying a Rupes here in Canada ! ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

I have both of the machines in this video, both with 5” backing plates, 5.5” pads and 5” counter balance weights (the Porter Cable weights fit these machines). My HF machine has had the grease and handle change. I believe the Griot’s machine to be slightly more powerful with slightly less vibration or at least it is in my non-professional hands. I took a quick look at that video and unless my eyes are lying to me he has a larger pad on the Griot’s machine than he has on the Harbor Freight machine. If I’ve seen that incorrectly you can disregard the balance of this post. I didn’t listen to the whole thing but I actually stopped watching it because it appeared he was making a heads up comparison with different size plate and pads. That will very much change the outcome of the comparison. A heads up comparison would be with the same size pads but take it a step further and put the big pad on the HF and the small pad on the Griots and it would be a very different outcome.

Not knocking the HF, it’s a lot of machine (when used with quality plate and pads) for not a lot of money and a good choice for a dedicated 3” polisher or a dedicated carpet machine or a machine that will do a bit of most things albeit slowly. There are several guys that really like and speak highly of the HF machine, Garry Dean being one of them.

Would I take the HF over the Griot’s? Not even with the Griot’s costing twice as much. This said, I still use a long throw polisher for 85% of my polishing activity but given a little time could complete a polishing job with one of these. Anyway... as Accumulator points out, these machines are not in the same league as quality long throw machines for speed and power. But if being on a budget, only having one machine to do multiple tasks and limited production are on the agenda, these smaller machines still fit the bill. I believe that criteria was basically implied by the OP. One last thought, it’s easy to make a recommendation if money isn’t an object, there is always bigger, better, faster but if you’ve never used the best you really won’t know what you might be missing. There was a time we didn’t have long throw machines, heck even R/O’s and still turned out quality details. If this thread has talked you into a better long throw machine, great! You won’t be sorry.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, KBsToy liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Mary B, KBsToy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

El Gearhead_1 --

That video definitely shows the Griot machine with a 6" pad and the HarborFreight has a 5" pad...

First time I saw this guy, he was singing praises for the Shurhold machine like it was absolutely the Best machine ever in the world..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, Budget, Hobbyist, Technique are things to consider. You can really get caught up on all the hype with the newest best polishers and products.

Lots of good views here from experts and hobbyists. There are also some great videos on you tube you just have to sort through them..

Good Luck on your detailing journey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information