Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to use for "missed spots" after wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    RaydiantDetail- I handle the bugs a little differently; I do the "normal" washing and then go back and deal with them if necessary (I`m still using up my old 1Z Anti-Insekt). But then I`m all about marring and LSP preservation.

Big diff between me doing my cars and you doing a customer`s car though! And when it comes to your own, your other obligations are sure a lot more important....2 and 8wks...I can`t even imagine, my hat`s off to you.

And IMO you`re 100% right about how the LSP can factor in! It`s *VERY* rare for anything to stick very tenaciously to mine. Heh heh, guess this is where I usually go all fanboy about FK1000P, which has made this all *so* much easier for me.

1500Canoe- Those Bug Remover sprays can be great, though you gotta watch that they don`t remove your LSP along with the bugs.

Also great IME are the WWMF "Bug Towels". As long as you don`t let them retain bug-parts (which can scratch) the one I have (forget where I got it, it was a freebie with another order) is just right as long as I`m careful.

DO NOT use those "Bug Sponges"! Every one I`ve tested (yes, properly ) has been a scratch-machine. Great for getting bugs off windshields though; I cut mine into slices and use one of those for the first pass(es) this time of year (get it *soaked* with Glass Cleaner first). I`ve heard that the Griot`s Ergowave Sponge is paint-safe, but I haven`t tested mine as I just use it for other stuff.

I also wonder about your lighting..maybe you just need better illumination so you can better see what`s going on/not. That kind of brings me to Inspection..I spend forever inspecting my work whether I`m washing/polishing/LSPing. I`ve half-joked that I must spend at least as much time inspecting whatever I`m doing as I spend on the actual doing! Overall, IMO that saves me time in the long run.

Recessed areas- When I do a tricky panel I do the majority/normal part of it first, and then go back with a smaller BHB or somesuch and get those tight spots before I move on to the next panel. Telling myself that I`ll go back and get the "little stuff" later never really worked for me.

E.g., I`ll wash the outer panels of the doors on one side. Then I do the tight spots around beltline trim/handles/mirrors/etc. Then I open the doors and do the jambs. THEN I`ll move on to the next section. That way, when I`ve finished a section I`ve *finished* it, and don`t have to reorient myself or remember to check something.

Plus, when I do the final rinse, and I always rinse off the whole vehicle before I start on the Drying, I look carefully for any areas that don`t show normal beading/etc. That can be a sign that there`s residual dirt on there.

Eh, it can take an awfully long time to get your wash regimen all sorted out, it`s not just you. There`s just so much to consider! It`s only recently, after *decades*, that I feel truly dialed-in. Hopefully, especially with the experience and advice here at Autopia, it won`t take you nearly that long.
    I`d handle bugs and bug guts with the propane torch I use to light my bbq if I could but I fear I`d torch the car too lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to use for "missed spots" after wash?

RaydiantDetail- Heh heh, you just need one of those "set the hood on fire!" LSPs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information