Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Fine clay recommendations

I have a Black car, that is in need of a minor clay. The paint is in very good condition, but I do feel some dirt on it when I rub my hands on it. I want a light clay to smooth it out, and cause the least amount of marring possible. I don`t want to be polishing out all the swirls every few months.

Thanks

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fine clay recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by killerzee View Post
    I have a Black car, that is in need of a minor clay. The paint is in very good condition, but I do feel some dirt on it when I rub my hands on it. I want a light clay to smooth it out, and cause the least amount of marring possible. I don`t want to be polishing out all the swirls every few months.

Thanks
    Killerzee --
    The mildest clay I have ever used was sold by Zaino - it was a red claybar..
    What are you using for claybar lube ? Some claybar lubes are better than others in my experiences..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Zaino clay lately, but I feel like others might be better.... specifically the Claymagic ones. I use soap with a sponge, and not clay lube.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Riccardo Yellow with Dodo Juice Born Slippy as a clay lube. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay is another ultrafine clay choice.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killerzee View Post
    I have been using the Zaino clay lately, but I feel like others might be better.... specifically the Claymagic ones. I use soap with a sponge, and not clay lube.
    Killerzee --
    In all the years I used the Red Zaino Claybar I found that because it is a milder grit, you have to press down a little more and check your work to make sure you get everything off that spot on the panel, before moving to the next spot..
    You mentioned wanting a mild claybar and that perfectly describes the Red Zaino Bar..

Yes, the Blue ClayMagic Bar is a good one, and has been around my shop for over 15 years..
    It is more aggressive than the Red Zaino Bar, and that can be good if you have a lot of embedded gunk to remove, and bad if you put too much pressure on it..

When I use Claybars or my SM Arnold Towel, I only use DoDo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lube mixed in a 35 ounce Spraybottle with water..
    It is by far the best claylube I have ever used, and it is easy to work with, and leaves no residue...
    It is so slippery you have to be careful that you don`t let the claybar slip out of your hands...
    For my needs and plan, car wash soap will work, but not as great as this claylube I mention...
    Dan F
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

22ple makes a very fine claybar, marketed as a coating safe clay which is generally frowned upon (claying a coated car) due to the possibility of marring. Perhaps it would meet your needs?

I`ve used it and, paying close attention to the temperature I used it in (according to instructions) it worked quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Opti Clay is on the fine side of things as well. Doesn`t feel as sticky either.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

+1

For Pinnacle Poly and 22ple clay.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dan F that the clay lube is very important. And the dodo juice born to be slippy concentrate is one of the best ones. Sonüs SFX ultra fine detailing clay is a great mild clay. When it comes to effectiveness and with the least possible to marr Bilt Hamber clay bar is a great one if you can get it. BH claims only water is needed when claying with theirs. But I play it safe and still use a clay lube when useing it and have still not see any ill effects when inspection with light. Have used it on my Kia cee`d which is a softer clearcoat and still not marring. And since it`s so effective you stroke it fewer times than some other aggressive grade clay bar I have used.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-...l#.WvK3-2Gew1I
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve always had good luck with the Meguiars clay bar kit which can be found just about everywhere. The price isn`t bad and I`ve never found the clay to be overly sticky or too abrasive. I`m also a fan of the QD spray included with the kit, not only as a clay lube, but as a respectable multi-use QD spray as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Sonus SFX, though the newest version (gray) doesn`t appeal to me *nearly* as much as the old (green) version. This new gray stuff gets a bit, uhm...worn out and crumbly and yeah, I`m using it with their Glyde.

Actually, maybe I`ll be looking into something else when I use this batch up, I`m *that* disappointed with it. Sigh..that`ll be a long time though.

But it *is* very mild, doesn`t compromise my LSP unless it`s absolutely on its last legs anyhow.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I threw my claybars away once I tried nanoskin autoscrub pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidude View Post
    I threw my claybars away once I tried nanoskin autoscrub pad.
    I *still* don`t understand how people can use those without causing any marring, or at least compromising their LSP. Even the Product Literature says not to use `em on certain finishes due to the potential for abrasion.

Not flaming, not saying I wouldn`t consider it if I had to do correction anyhow, just saying that I don`t understand how it can work that way. I mean..gee, if I move my *clay* for more than an inch or two (without kneading/replacing) I risk marring!

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I only use nanoscrub when I`m preparing paint for full polish and coating. I have never had trouble with marring or any issues for that matter. For me it really works great and takes about 15% of the time of clay. I used to put it on my PC but lately I`ve found using the hand pad works just as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I *still* don`t understand how people can use those without causing any marring, or at least compromising their LSP. Even the Product Literature says not to use `em on certain finishes due to the potential for abrasion.

Not flaming, not saying I wouldn`t consider it if I had to do correction anyhow, just saying that I don`t understand how it can work that way. I mean..gee, if I move my *clay* for more than an inch or two (without kneading/replacing) I risk marring!
    That`s because they do marr. I don`t care what anyone says. From personal experience they marr more than a clay bar even with plenty of clay lube and a gentle touch. I only use clay on my personal vehicles as it still does a better job of contaminant removal. If I am polishing someone else`s paint like my brothers then I will use a clay mitt.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information