Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fine clay recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiidude View Post
    Accumulator, I only use nanoscrub when I`m preparing paint for full polish and coating. I have never had trouble with marring or any issues for that matter..
    OK...I`m not gonna argue or anything...but IMO if a car needs correction it`s already so marred up that I wouldn`t expect any kind of effects from the decon. to be obvious anyhow. Eh, I only do my own vehicles and gather my experiences are unusual with regard to needing to polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    OK...I`m not gonna argue or anything...but IMO if a car needs correction it`s already so marred up that I wouldn`t expect any kind of effects from the decon. to be obvious anyhow. Eh, I only do my own vehicles and gather my experiences are unusual with regard to needing to polish.
    I COMPLETELY AGREE! The nano pad WILL MARR the paint for sure. It`s not the pad, or even the dirt...., it`s the speed of using the machine... it`s WAY TOO FAST!

Most clays rubbed on a paint will be rather soft, and slow..... which will not really marr it at all.

But yes... if the paint is already destroyed, and you plan to clay, and then polish out swirls and scratches....hey go the easy route. I HATE CLAYING!

Who wants to spend their day rubbing up a car. I`m not a perv, and I don`t want to spend my Saturday night feeling up my car all night. I`d rather be feeling up on a sexy girl ALL NIGHT LONG

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, weird. I`ve never experieinced marring. Next time I`ll try pay closer attention. I do use the pad by hand so maybe that`s a help?

Post Thanks / Like

Aw man...Though I do get up on my High Horse and lecture about (micro?)marring like it`s the end of the world, I honestly don`t want people to go looking for problems...minor cosmetic problems...that they don`t know they have! IT DOESN`T MATTER unless you think it does!

Will other people judge you based on such stuff (or your diction, or appearance, or....something...)? Sure, of course they will! Somebody`ll judge everybody for something every minute of the day. Do you care? That`s your business. OK, that said...

If you`re using mild clay, the clay itself shouldn`t mar, period. The marring comes from either using that clay incorrectly (e.g., insufficient lube, excessive pressure), or from abrasive contamination that`s stuck in the clay.

The instant the clay picks up a speck of something abrasive, it turns into potential sandpaper. That`s why I`d never use a machine-driven system as there`s no way to stop and knead/clean/replace the clay after every momentary contact with the paint (if that`s necessary) and thus avoid marring. Yeah, that`s a huge PIA...which is a big reason why I advocate chemical decon instead of mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by killerzee
    It`s not the pad, or even the dirt...., it`s the speed of using the machine... it`s WAY TOO FAST!
    Uh-oh, you lost me there...how would the speed be the determining factor? It`s not moving fast enough for heat to be an issue, and other than abrasion and heat I can`t see a cause for marring (i.e., if heat isn`t an issue, the speed with which you move the decon media in-and-of itself wouldn`t factor in at all... unless I`m missing something).

Post Thanks / Like

accumulator, your explanation on chemical vs mechanical decon totally makes sense to me.

So chemical decon means something like iron X?

I think my tolerance for imperfections is probably higher than most. The car I most recently polished is a 11 year old rav4. Paint has taken a beating but still shines like no other. My other is a truck that is used like a truck. Protection is more important thank looks. I guess it`s just a personal choice, I`ll take saving an hour over possible marring.

Post Thanks / Like

hawaiidude- For a guy who spot-clays at every wash, I can make a good argument for using the chemicals

Yeah, IronX would qualify, though *AFAIK* it`s basically just for *ferrous* contamination..which is certainly a good thing with regard to Rust Blooms/etc. but might not solve every contamination problem.

And FWIW, I *like* your posting how you`ll accept some marring and that you have a, uhm....normal person`s...acceptance of flaws. It`s good to remind some of us that even at Autopia, people gotta determine their own standards and priorities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information