Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s BETTER than Zaino?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    ..amusingly under the FAQ`s they still say they don`t recommend using MF towels...even though they are selling them).
    While...yeah, sure, oughta just update the site... IMO that whole "don`t use MF" thing always spoke to their credibility and I found it odd that people didn`t call `em on it.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been told that Sal tweaked products over the years without ever publicly stating so. I know that my current bottle of Z8 is easier to use than the previous bottle. Seems like an odd marketing strategy but Zainophiles are quite loyal. Some of them would brag about 75 layers of Zaino, which really isn`t even possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I`ve been told that Sal tweaked products over the years without ever publicly stating so. I know that my current bottle of Z8 is easier to use than the previous bottle. Seems like an odd marketing strategy but Zainophiles are quite loyal. Some of them would brag about 75 layers of Zaino, which really isn`t even possible.
    Yeah, ok. I was more talking about, say, what about a rinseless wash? Or waterless? Perhaps better than those Z-heads swirling theirs cars up at the car show wiping them down with Z6. I`m sure DG could make blue versions for him, heck they even have a coating...how many layers of a Zaino coating could you put on? I`m sure someone would tell us.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if Sal is selling microfiber, they must have tested them and found them to be scratch free; otherwise, why would he be selling them?

Speaking of how many layers can be applied, I have seen a couple of Zaino Rep`s cars, and they had 20+ layers, and they looked incredible...
    Like another thick layer of clearcoat on top of the paintwork..

Look and see if you can find a local Zaino Rep if he still allows them..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Look and see if you can find a local Zaino Rep if he still allows them..
    If HE still allows THEM? I think if it`s they allow him. When I questioned many years ago why we in NJ (which is where Zaino is located) can`t buy from the Zaino website (I figured it was because he didn`t want to be bothered collecting state sales tax), I was told that he had "pre-existing distributor relationships which predated the internet".

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If HE still allows THEM? I think if it`s they allow him. When I questioned many years ago why we in NJ (which is where Zaino is located) can`t buy from the Zaino website (I figured it was because he didn`t want to be bothered collecting state sales tax), I was told that he had "pre-existing distributor relationships which predated the internet".
    Perhaps its a West Coast thing then.. The last Zaino Reps I knew told me he was trying to get rid of them..
    No doubt he had Reps before the Internet.. No other way to get your product advertised and sold back then..
    Dan F

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, ok. I was more talking about, say, what about a rinseless wash? Or waterless? Perhaps better than those Z-heads swirling theirs cars up at the car show wiping them down with Z6. I`m sure DG could make blue versions for him, heck they even have a coating...how many layers of a Zaino coating could you put on? I`m sure someone would tell us.
    I don`t know who manufacturers for Zaino, and here`s the thing, I don`t think anyone else here does either. Sure, there`s conjecture, but no facts. Even DG has stated that Sal`s product is different than theirs.
    A few people pushed the whole DG is Zaino stuff for various reasons. For all we know, Zaino might be a skunkworks division of Meguires. Both make leather conditioners so they must have a secret agreement to take over the detailing world.

As for reps, that`s a legal issue.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I find it interesting that a few years ago (7-10) this thread would have opti-xyz all over the place. Not a single mention of those products though.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lloydrm View Post
    FWIW, I find it interesting that a few years ago (7-10) this thread would have opti-xyz all over the place. Not a single mention of those products though.
    And a certain person would state emphatatically that DG and Zaino were the same thing. The fact is that we will never know which companies manufacture Sal`s products due to non-disclosure agreements.

I guess Sal is old school and probably doesn`t trust rinseless washes, although some are pretty darn good.

I`m guessing the rep issue could be resolved by Sal buying out the rep`s contract.

Maybe Sal decided to launch new products under new names and different distribution channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    And a certain person would state emphatatically that DG and Zaino were the same thing.
    I don`t know if that was directed at me, but that`s certainly not what I said. You know, when the clay patent was in effect, Clay Magic was making clay for everyone selling clay in the United States. Yet they also stated that the Clay Magic blue clay was a unique formula sold by no one else (and while I`m at it, look at a bottle of Listerine it says the same thing). So Clay Magic somehow managed to make clay for everyone else, but "not the same" clay because they didn`t use the same formula as for their clay.

You`d have to be blind to not see that there are some familial traits between DG and Zaino products, that doesn`t make them the same (although I am unable to tell the difference between Z6 and FC&S).

You seemed to be trying to provoke a response from me, so there you go.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Setec, nope, my comment wasn`t referenced toward you. I`m thinking of another person. I will admit I`ve used some products from various manufacturers that look similar but as you`ve stated that doesn`t mean they are the same. It`s kind of like gasoline. I`ve been to a terminal that sold Sunoco gas to branded stores and independent stores. Even though the gas was coming from the same tank, the additive package was different. It could be the same with certain detailing products. I mean really, car wash soaps and detail sprays are all somewhat similar with minor differences between various manufacturers.

BTW, I`ve used Aquawax and Z8 and could tell a difference between them. DG 101 was much thicker than Z2 and lacked the gloss factor. I`m kinda bummed that I lost my local parts store that carried Duragloss products as I lost my source for the rinseless wash and others that I tried weren`t quite as good. As for leather products, I`ve tried several different ones that weren`t all that much different to each other. Some were even the same color.

Zaino, Duragloss and Mothers all seem to make some very good and unique products. I`ve always felt that Meguiars was a step down in quality as far as their consumer line went.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting timing for me to stumble across this post. I have been using Zaino off and on since 1999. I have been receiving a few more emails lately from Zaino as it seems like they have ramped up their marketing a tad. This prompted me to email Sal and ask if there have been any updates or if anything new is coming down the pipeline. His response was the typical "we constantly update our products but don`t advertise it or cram it down everyone`s throat like the other companies". Not sure what to make of that, but I couldn`t help myself and ordered some Z2Pro, Z6, Z7, Z8, etc. I`m going to give them a try and see if they have stood the test of time since I have been using all the cool new stuff in the mean time.

Opening the package brought a real sense of nostalgia that included many memories of this forum... ZaneO, Mike with the WS6, Sean, Scottwax, others who used to post all those click and brags with their Zaino`d details.

I wish I could login with my original username from 2003 or 2004... BlackSunshine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    Opening the package brought a real sense of nostalgia that included many memories of this forum... ZaneO, Mike with the WS6, Sean, Scottwax, others who used to post all those click and brags with their Zaino`d details.

I wish I could login with my original username from 2003 or 2004... BlackSunshine.
    Oh, BlackSunshine, I remember you (I think). ZaneO came back for a while, I think Mike is no longer detailing, Sean seemed not to even look in the rear view once he got that (prescription) drug salesman job, Scott (who I remember being anti-Zaino) is still around, just not on here.
    Likes TGates liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    Oh gee, didn`t realize that, uhm...you were you. Eh, your current username makes it seem obvious but I just didn`t pick up on it
    Likes TGates liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, BlackSunshine, I remember you (I think). ZaneO came back for a while, I think Mike is no longer detailing, Sean seemed not to even look in the rear view once he got that (prescription) drug salesman job, Scott (who I remember being anti-Zaino) is still around, just not on here.
    Sorry, Setec, I absolutely remember you being around. Pat, togwt... shoot, I was even a beta tester for David with some of his Sonus stuff back in the day! I think you`re right about Scott not being a Zaino fan as well, now that I think about it. I vaguely remember there being another Black Sunshine posting for a while when I would browse the forums who was definitely not me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oh gee, didn`t realize that, uhm...you were you. Eh, your current username makes it seem obvious but I just didn`t pick up on it
    Hey, Accumulator! I haven`t posted much recently but I do still keep tabs on the forum from time to time. Been busy with a relatively new career in education and dabbling in some "professional" detailing on the side to go along with a couple other business ventures, so I have been busy. I suppose having a two and a half year old would steer most people AWAY from detailing, but it has somehow re-ignited that flame for me. Weird, I know.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information