Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I like the looks of Duragloss 253, but it won`t last after one wash

Update: at my third car wash, after the Duragloss had been applied for the second time, the browning of the tires was much less bad. But in any case, I "cleaned" the tires this time with Mother`s Tire Renew / Cleaner. Then (somewhat over-)applied Duragloss again a third time until the tires almost had a slight sheen. Hopefully at my next wash I won`t have to do anything to the tires again.

BTW, even this third time of Duragloss application, I still had a fair bit of black / brown / grey stuff coming off into my buff-out cloth. Will this decrease in the future?
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    BTW, even this third time of Duragloss application, I still had a fair bit of black / brown / grey stuff coming off into my buff-out cloth. Will this decrease in the future?
    Guess time will tell. FWIW, I don`t bother getting my tires 100% clean/free of that stuff. Maybe that`s more of my Autopian Heresy, but as long as I think they look good I just don`t care..not like I`m gonna sit on my tires in white pants or anything

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps someday think about trying the TufShine Cleaner and their ClearCoat..
    Works great on all the tires I ever do, and my personal tires, well I hardly ever have to clean them and reapply much to them.. lt lasts... No greasy, slippery, slinging, etc..
    Tried all the other cleaners, even had a Detailer Friend in Canada send me some of his special recipe, all the Zaino, etc., dressings, none of them lasted very long ever, in the rainy, or snowy, Pacific Northwest..
    Only one that held up and continues so much easier here in Northern California = TufShine...
    Good luck with your project !
    Dan F
    Likes jatleson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another update, this is after last time when I cleaner the tires with the Mother`s Tire renew / cleaner, and then applied (too much) Duragloss.
    Upon this wash, the tires were more hydrophobic. I still gave them a brief scrub with the brush and soapy water the same time I was cleaning the rims. After the wash, the tires were a mostly matte black, with just a touch of brown to them. They were almost acceptable to me, except for that very slight brown. I gave them a quick wipe / scrub with Duragloss on a terry cloth, and the tires became darker again. Not much "stuff" came off onto the cloth this time.

Post Thanks / Like

beanbag- Does the terry cloth leave any lint behind? Every now and then I`ve had tires that cotton would *lint* on...and then I had a whole new chore. I finally switched to old MFs just to avoid the possibility.

And as I`ve posted before, I sure don`t bother getting my tires white glove-clean at every wash and I`ve never felt I oughta. IMO you`re doing just fine. Well...other than maybe using too much, but you`re the guy who said that and maybe it`s just right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Perhaps someday think about trying the TufShine Cleaner and their ClearCoat..
    Works great on all the tires I ever do, and my personal tires, well I hardly ever have to clean them and reapply much to them.. lt lasts... No greasy, slippery, slinging, etc......
    +1 on TufShine.

For years I had been using Z-16 which gave my tires a deep black matte look instead of a greasy looking finish. Then last year I read a post where someone (maybe Stokdgs?) recommended TufShine so I ordered a small bottle. At the time I didn`t order their tire cleaner and just did a few cleanings with A2Z and followed with some Griots Rubber Cleaner. Two coats of TufShine gave me the same deep black look I wanted, but it lasted for months. On the wife`s new car the tires looked good for 8+ months.

On some much older tires that I had at the time I got about six months, maybe because I didn`t spend as much time cleaning them. Over the winter I ordered some of the TufShine Cleaner that I now use before applying the TufShine. I gotta say, I almost felt guilty having our tires looking so good for so long.
    John
    Likes Stokdgs, jatleson, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness View Post
    +1 on TufShine.

For years I had been using Z-16 which gave my tires a deep black matte look instead of a greasy looking finish. Then last year I read a post where someone (maybe Stokdgs?) recommended TufShine...
    Yeah, I remember that too. If I ever use up my stash of Tire Slimes I`m gonna try that.

Post Thanks / Like

It just took about 4 - 6 good scrubs each to remove the dealer slime from my tires. I`ll let them dry overnight and apply the TufShine in the morning. I`ve got a little Z-16 left so I`ll use that up on the street rod and then switch that to TufShine also.
    John
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    beanbag- Does the terry cloth leave any lint behind?
    No, but then again, I used a pack of cheap-o ratty terry cloths from Walmart. It`s not like they`re puffy Egyptian cotton or anything...

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone the full gamet in tire dressings. I have been through UTTGP, SV Pneu, pearl straight and diluted, PB bold and bright liquid and Gel, Getech T1, Gyeon Tire, IGL Tire and probably a few more.

Right now I’m using
    SV on expensive low mileage tires as I love the look and I’m confident that this water based product does zero damage.
    I’ve been using it since 2011 on the same set of tires without issue. Tires will be replaced next season due to age but the sidewalks look perfect. No signs of damage.

T1 is what is use on my DD (except 1)where I like a little more longevity. Once dry there is no sling. I do buff down the second coat with a dry tire applicator as it’s too shiney at 2 and not enough at one coat. It lasts best for me.

IGL is new to the mix. I’m still testing on one of my cars I like the look. I like the thickness of the product and it is fast to dry and non stinging.

PB bold and bright in both versions always a solid performer, Gyeon tire lasts a long time and is very shiney. Good for knobby tires as it spreads easily. Goes on oily and can sling if. It left to try and back wiped on knobby tires especially. For that reason I’m moving away from it when I’m done with what I’ve got on my shelf. The rest are fair to midland in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had great success with #253. Have one application so far on my new Hankooks. Cleaned first with Mothers tire renew. Then applied with the speedmaster applicator. Had several rain storms and did one wash Friday. The look remained the same. Impressive. No doubt this is now my go to tire dressing. I will not hesitate to buy more when needed. My only regret is I did not find out about sooner!

0529180921-00.jpg

And after careful inspection of the body panels, NO SLING OFF.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes davidc, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, one more update:
    After this most recent wash, the tires are still matte, but not as black as before. They look like "what a clean tire looks like" and at least matches the darkness of the actual tread. I guess this look is ok, but maybe I prefer a blacker matte. Anyway, what is the specific Tufshine product you guys are recommending? It makes the tires dark MATTE, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information