Post Thanks / Like

Question What product for soft black-gloss plastic?

What product for the soft black-gloss plastic around windows? I have a new Jeep SRT that`s blacked our around the windows, the all around the grill/headlights, and around the exhaust fascia.
    This is the same plastic used on door pillars that`s super-prone to scratching. Being that the pieces are so thin and curved, a buffer cannot be used. So what product (by hand) can be used on these areas? It has to be something that`s able to be used all the time without damaging the plastic over time. Any thoughts?
    What product for soft black-gloss plastic?-front.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What product for soft black-gloss plastic?

Do you own a rotary? If not, a 1 or 2 inch pad on a rotary can easily polish those areas. Also, a Rupes Nano can polish those areas. I’d recommend you polish or having someone polish those areas with a medium or light polish and polishing pad.

If you dont don’t own a rotary, for around $200 you can get a rotary polisher, another $100 gets you a nice set of small pads, a small backing plate, and extension. The way I look at, if you don’t have a rotary, it is always nice to have another tool.

After polishing I would look at covering the trim on the doors with a protective film (PPF)
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I should have specified my comment about PPF, the area I was referring to was the B & C pillar trim. Also, I would not polish these area very often. I would recommend minimizing contact with the areas, especially when washing and drying.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup the ppf is the only thing that will keep them from marring. Look at that stuff cross eyed and it scratches.
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experiences with a hundred miles of BMW Shadowline Trim, which is a black glossy trim that is always scratched when you get the car, the only way to make it better is to Carefully polish it out with a Rotary and a couple of small pads...
    And yes, of course, there is an extension on the Rotary to get it out of the way and allow you to see the work better and not run into anything..
    I can get any black gloss trim back to normal in this manner, but not sure if this would be possible by hand...

If you do anything to this, make sure you First, tape off any rubber moldings around the trim so you dont hit them and hurt their finish permanently...
    Have used miles of 1/4" 3M painters tape for that part, and sometimes, I have to make another run of it next to the first one to make sure I dont hit anything..
    Yes, a piece of 1/2" may be better but it is not as flexible as the 1/4" tape is, so you have to take that into consideration...
    Good luck with this..
    Dan F
    Likes LEDetailng, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wondering how PB black hole would work on these areas? While it wouldn`t be a permanent solution, it would certainly be easier than polishing. It wouldn`t take too long to do, even after every wash or every other maybe?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    I`m wondering how PB black hole would work on these areas? While it wouldn`t be a permanent solution, it would certainly be easier than polishing. It wouldn`t take too long to do, even after every wash or every other maybe?
    Great Idea ! I have never tried anything like that before...
    Would sure be easier if it works even for a while..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    This would probably work good. Top it off with your occasional form of protection and you will be fine.

I have had good luck with something like Essence as it fills and corrects. I usually use the same coating I am using on the rest of the paint. Now it will still swirl but not as bad. I`ve seen Larry of Ammo NYC post a video of putting PPF on the side pillars of his SUV. That would be ideal. But some don`t like the look of film.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I polish mine with a RO/DA and small pads, or by hand. Just like paint, what specific stuff I use depends on that particular plastic. As noted, I wouldn`t correct it too often so get the wash regimen sorted out an don`t let people touch `em.

On all my vehicles, the plastic on the pillars is different from the (other) Window Surrounds. I generally protect the former with *many* layers of KSG, but yeah...PPF or a coating would almost certainly be better if, for some reason, they keep getting marred up.

For the other Window Sourrounds, I clean with Griot`s Rubber Prep and seal with Ultima TTG+, then maintain with a Spray Wax or IUDJ (which would be fine on the pillars too, but I usually use Sonus Acrylic Spritz on those as it`s a great match with the KSG).
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Jeep by the way...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I polish mine with a RO/DA and small pads, or by hand. Just like paint, what specific stuff I use depends on that particular plastic. As noted, I wouldn`t correct it too often so get the wash regimen sorted out an don`t let people touch `em.

On all my vehicles, the plastic on the pillars is different from the (other) Window Surrounds. I generally protect the former with *many* layers of KSG, but yeah...PPF or a coating would almost certainly be better if, for some reason, they keep getting marred up.

For the other Window Sourrounds, I clean with Griot`s Rubber Prep and seal with Ultima TTG+, then maintain with a Spray Wax or IUDJ (which would be fine on the pillars too, but I usually use Sonus Acrylic Spritz on those as it`s a great match with the KSG).
    Do you use the newer version of Ultima TTG+? We are way after here in Sweden and have the old version of Ultima products that are solvent based. Have been in contact with reseller here but they are selling of the old products still...

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    What product for the soft black-gloss plastic around windows? I have a new Jeep SRT that`s blacked our around the windows, the all around the grill/headlights, and around the exhaust fascia.
    This is the same plastic used on door pillars that`s super-prone to scratching. Being that the pieces are so thin and curved, a buffer cannot be used. So what product (by hand) can be used on these areas? It has to be something that`s able to be used all the time without damaging the plastic over time. Any thoughts?
    First, nice looking SRT you have there! Next, the plastic you speak of isn`t difficult to clear up. I use CarPro Essence as it`s more of an AIO and refines the gloss perfectly. I use it a lot. I also tend to keep a dedicated polishing pad for such items as it will tend to turn black over time and stains don`t tend to come out. PPF afterwards will do wonders for keeping them perfect if you find there are issues.

Here are a couple examples of the results I`ve seen:

Tail end of Mustang that is all plastic

Works well on matte finish ones too. Lots of these are simply vinyl overlays.

2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400 | Burger MS JB4
    2018 Ruby Red Metallic AWD Lincoln MK-C Reserve | 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife`s
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Do you use the newer version of Ultima TTG+? We are way after here in Sweden and have the old version of Ultima products that are solvent based. Have been in contact with reseller here but they are selling of the old products still...
    I have a slight preference for the older solvent-based version, but the newer water-based is OK too.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

DO NOT use ZAIO on exterior plastics, it hazed them something fierce every time I tried it, actually requiring a polishing session to restore them. No such problems with KAIO.

Same with M205, created issues at least as bad as what I started with.

For matte ones I use the Klasse twins or Ultima TTG+

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: What product for soft black-gloss plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    First, nice looking SRT you have there! Next, the plastic you speak of isn`t difficult to clear up. I use CarPro Essence as it`s more of an AIO and refines the gloss perfectly. I use it a lot. I also tend to keep a dedicated polishing pad for such items as it will tend to turn black over time and stains don`t tend to come out. PPF afterwards will do wonders for keeping them perfect if you find there are issues.

Maybe I`ll give the Essence a try. I`m not a fan of the look of PPF, but if it gets to be too big of a problem going forward, I may just have to do that.
    Do you have any pictures of your machine/pad setup you use for these small areas?

Thread Information