Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can help keep a car cleanest between washes?

Quote Originally Posted by rottenII View Post
    Owning two black cars....I have to agree with you.
    It always seems like such a good idea at the time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I will hijack this thread however , and ask if anyone uses Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine that is suppose to have anti-static properties to keep a vehicle`s finish from attracting dust and how good it does in doing that??
    Like WaxAddict, I never noticed that with FK425 (a member here joked that I must be "applying it backwards" ), but I *do* think that switching from FK425 to IUDJ helped keep `em cleaner between washes.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, when I`m not gonna do one of my usual Maintenance Washes, I just spray it off with deionized water using the pressure washer, and then blow it dry with the AirWand and the compressor. NO, it`s not Autopian-perfect, but it still qualifies for Best in Parking Lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    FWIW, when I`m not gonna do one of my usual Maintenance Washes, I just spray it off with deionized water using the pressure washer, and then blow it dry with the AirWand and the compressor. NO, it`s not Autopian-perfect, but it still qualifies for Best in Parking Lot.
    Right here is the simplest solution. Especially with a well coated, sealed, or waxed car.

Accumulator, have you ever tried a quick wet down/pre-soak with a rinse less or waterless wash, then hit it with the deionized water, and then air wand and compressor?

I always have either a pump sprayer or multiple spray bottles of D114 or Uber around. I wish I had a the deionized water flowing through a pressure washer. I would like try this method myself if I was able to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Accumulator, have you ever tried a quick wet down/pre-soak with a rinse less or waterless wash, then hit it with the deionized water, and then air wand and compressor?
    Slightly different approach, but same idea- I always use the pressure washer first, period. If it`s really nasty I`ll do it with regular softened water with some confidence that by the time I`m done I`ll rinse it all away (if I`m lucky). If the pressure washing isn`t enough, I use a siphon-feed sprayer to do the IUDJ. Sorta a combination presoak/prewash/touchless wash. One of these days...as I keep saying ...I`ll try the Lonn Cleaning Gun instead of my old/weak sprayer and I expect that to work better.

I tried spraying the IUDJ on as a presoak with the regular pump-up garden sprayer I use with it, but that didn`t seem to do much...like the dwelling of regularly applied (i.e., no foamer/etc.) IUDJ wasn`t of much benefit.

I like the idea of trying to do as much as I can with just water. When more is required I start to think it`ll soon be time for a real wash.

I wish I had a the deionized water flowing through a pressure washer. I would like try this method myself if I was able to.
    The CRS is *really* beneficial for me, but !oh man! do the associated costs add up. Fortunately, with the filtered/softened water going into it, I don`t have to replace the resin very often.

Eh, I`m just, uhm....in a situation where I gotta find ways to make the whole Detailing thing go a certain way or else it won`t get done. With what it takes for my Maintenance Washes, I can`t be doing that all the time but I still want the dailies to be decent.
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What I can`t figure out is why the above stuff, and my FK1000P experiences in general I guess, seem to be unusual. Unusually *good*, but gee what`s up with it? We use our dailies hard all year-round and I just hardly ever have to do much with `em other than those Big Deal Maintenance Washes, and I really only do that to my wife`s A8 on a regular basis. Extreme Autopians simply wouldn`t believe, let alone condone, how infrequently I wash anything else, how infrequently I LSP or clay (I go *years* between full-vehicle clayings). I do windows *all the time*, almost daily, and vacuum/QD-wipe my interiors very frequently, but that`s about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I quit trying to keep my car clean between washes. When I first got my car I used to use a California duster and/or detailing spray and even though it looked great when done I ended up putting more marring into it. After a few times at this keeping it clean in between I could never figure out where the swirls were coming from when I would do a full wash. Turned out I traced it to the duster. I haven`t used it or detailing spray between washes in at least 4 years and I also haven`t had to polish my car in that time and even thought it has a little bit of micro marring it was no where near what I was inducing with the extra cleaning.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

skibik- Smart move, not touching it between washes any more.

Some folks sure love their CCDs...even claiming it doesn`t mar their paint at all. OK, whatever works for you...glad you`re happy. I used mine to dust some things in the shop, with predictable results on certain surfaces, finally deciding that I just wan`t gonna dry-dust stuff any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Conerning the original question...I combated the same dust issue. To-date, the new EcH2o from Carpro is best I`ve used for keeping dust off. FK425 never really seemed anti-static as they claim, but I used it all the time. In comparison (which the same coating in place), the EcH2o product has WAY less dust...way less. It otherwise works really well in all other aspects (after getting the hang of it). I`m going to go with it for a while.

Additionally...I use a CCD and have never had marring from it. I don`t use it when the car has more than 1-days dust. When I use it, I make sure it`s shaken out, I move it in lineal motions (windshield to nose on top surfaces and from window to wheel on the sides), and I NEVER put any weight into it (if the duster cannot grab it without pressing down. I know many, many people are against them; but they`ve always worked for me well. I buy a new one for each car...and I`d never use on black.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine had 8 to 9 hours dust on it from work. And yes, it is black and it shows big time. Maybe if it was a lighter color and with just a few hours dust at a car show then I might use it but I haven`t done a car show with it in 4 years. It does have some swirls but 4 years worth and even in that time it looks quite nice for not being touched other than washing int hat time.

It is time for a polish and plan to do it this spring once it gets a little warmer. I need to get it looking pretty because it is on it way out and in for something news.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello folks,

So I tried the McKee 37 Hydro Blue. I washed the car as usual, and while still wet, sprayed it on half of a panel that gets the most dust. (Rear trunk lid). Then rinsed off with pressure washer. Then I went for a long drive. There was zero difference in dust accumulation between that and 2 week old Beasley`s Plasma Coat. (Maybe this is a praise for the Plasma Coat`s anti-dust properties?)

I guess there are still some things that this might be good for:
    Maybe the surface will be slicker on my next washing.
    Maybe I can put it on my wheels to make the brake dust come off easier.
    Maybe during the rainy season, I can use it to re-hydrophobic-ize the Plasma Coat, since I know that won`t withstand even a few hours worth of road water spray.
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    Additionally...I use a CCD and have never had marring from it...b[but]d I`d never use on black.
    I *don`t* want this to come across wrong; I`m not challenging you and I recognize that "all dust is different" in that some is abrasive and some isn`t...that said, so I`m hopefully not giving offense..

Why wouldn`t you use it on black if you`d use it on anything else? With almost all vehicles being b/c I figure that "clearcoat is clearcoat no matter what`s under it. (Heh heh, well...other than BMW Jet Black, which I`d never own.) If the objective is to not mar the paint, I don`t see the basecoat color factoring in.

Again, I`m not being critical..just don`t understand how others do something like this that I can`t do. I mean, gee...not like I didn`t consider/cover all the variables. Guess it`s like washing without [all that stuff I do], sure wish I could make things easier on myself without compromising my results!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rottenII View Post
    Owning two black cars....I have to agree with you.
    OWNING 3 BLACK cars, I also AGREE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    skibik- Smart move, not touching it between washes any more.

Some folks sure love their CCDs...even claiming it doesn`t mar their paint at all. OK, whatever works for you...glad you`re happy. I used mine to dust some things in the shop, with predictable results on certain surfaces, finally deciding that I just wan`t gonna dry-dust stuff any more.
    ANY DUSTER WILL MAR the paint. First off, it will pick up dirt... not just dust.... This will be spread all over the paint..... creating damage. The only reason some don`t see any damage is because they have harder/ceramic clear coats.

Looking at some darker colored cars can cause marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killerzee View Post
    ... The only reason some don`t see any damage is because they have harder/ceramic clear coats...
    Heh heh, some people think my Audis (and even the Chevy) have hard clear..but IME *no* paint is too hard for most anything to mar it. Gee, folks used to say that single stage white is soooo hard, but I had cars in that and never even noticed any diff except that the correction took a little longer.

I`m too, uhm...diplomatic...to suggest that perhaps people who "don`t see damage" don`t inspect the way I do

Looking at some darker colored cars can cause marring.
    Heh heh, sure seems like that, huh? [Note that for years Accumlator drove *only* black cars, back in the days of single-stage lacquer.]

IMO "clearcoat is clearcoat" and the dark colors (like my `93 Audi) just make flaws more obvious. My big gripe with dark colors is that they look dirty when they are dirty so they need washed all the time, with each wash a gamble marring-wise (yeah, even for me).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information