Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Discontinued Products

It looks like AG is discontinuing several product lines, Jay Leno, Boyd Coddington, and Lowrider. It shouldn’t come as a real shock to any of the longtime members here as they were not very well received and any questions about the products were pretty much ignored. My question to Autopians is are there any “jewels” in those line we should pick up at their highly discounted price? Boyd Coddington has a color changing wheel cleaner and I find that most color changing wheel cleaners are pretty much the same (might even be able to use it on paint). Usually these close outs don’t last long, so if you have used any of these products and they are worthwhile please chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Discontinued Products

I recently tried Jay`s car wash soap (Thanks The Guz). Instructions are a bit vague. I ended up using 2oz in 3 gallons of water.

It didn`t seem to have the same cleaning power as Adam`s (the blue stuff), but it did feel pretty darn slick. I mentioned Adam`s because that`s the last soap I used most recently, about 1.5 weeks prior to the Jay`s. Otherwise, just been rinseless washing or coin-op`n.

For a cleaner vehicle, it could work okay. That Jeep was quite dirty
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they are going to be phased out or AGO is trying to push sales for the lines.

I used the Leno wheel cleaner today. Worked great. Good cling and no odor. Color changing as well.

I also tried out the shampoo and it`s nice. Smells like cough syrup but performance is pretty good.

I was sent the leno QD for review and it`s good. Nothing spectacular but nice. Smells good.

Was always curious about the polishes but with so many other good offerings it is hard to even consider with very little word of mouth.

Boyd never appealed to me.

Both brands seem like niche product lines like Adams.

The Leno SiO2 spray sealant is comparable to others on the market. Bought some from their site.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I wonder if they are going to be phased out or AGO is trying to push sales for the lines.
    I don`t know if anything has changed in that regard with the new ownership, but in the past they weren`t hesitant to drop lines that weren`t moving. I also see the McKee`s RV products are in the "outlet store".

Post Thanks / Like

For the price I bought a couple of cans of SM Arnold spray and 99 cent jugs.
    Had to get my total up for free shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don`t know if anything has changed in that regard with the new ownership, but in the past they weren`t hesitant to drop lines that weren`t moving. I also see the McKee`s RV products are in the "outlet store".
    I believe they`re just trying to get rid of the stuff with the old labels. Not sure if there were any new formulas when they switched the labels.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, my Inner Cynic is whispering that "Big Name Car Guys" get their names stuck on all sorts of [stuff] and their fans (and others who might not practice Critical Thinking) are expected to buy regardless of whether those products are really All That. When the sales are flat they (namely, everybody involved) move on to the next Big Marketing Idea.

I *still* have a little Tony Nancy Leather Cleaner from, gee...I dunno when, decades ago. Not bad stuff at all (though I never tested the ph to see if it`s properly alkaline) but honestly it`s not all that different from the other Leather Cleaners of that era, almost indistinguishable from Lexol`s. I doubt that Tony himself switched from working with leather to developing chemicals, doubt he even really thinks it matters much what you use to clean his leather stuff (more likely "just avoid stupid approaches"), but yes indeed I bought it because it had his name on it

Now my Inner Cynic is getting kinda snarky, but before I tell him to go away...Ask anybody who`s seen the collections of [certain big name Car Guys] under the right lighting and you might not want to buy something with [that person`s] name on it Autopians care a lot more about certain things than many other serious Automotive Enthusiasts (not flaming either side of that fence, just sayin`...).
    Likes rlmccarty2000, JustJesus liked this post

Thread Information