Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax Clay Disc- Experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Thanks Dan. That’s a great post.

I’ve got two cars I’m definitely going to be spending some time on.

First is a 2 year old Accord that my father bought brand new and I started off that car right out of the gate (decon and sealed with Collinite) first time as soon as he bought it and the second time I think a year later. Perhaps 6 months later.

The second car is my 1990 Mustang with single stage paint that’s black. This car will receive a light correction being SS and black but seeing as it doesn’t see any rain and always garaged, I can’t see it needing the clay mitt?

I also have a Trans Am that sees even less use then the Mustang and is also black (in cursed) so I’m not sure if I’ll give that car a go or not.
    Striker --

You are welcome, I am glad to help !

The Accord will be a great car to learn on.. The paint is always the same, and it does get dirty and will feel rough on top even after the wash.
    Then you will come along with the Clay Mitt after,and take that roughness off..

The others - well all I can tell you about black cars is that I have had several and still have one today, and have Detailed many, many, more.. One year, I Detailed 17 black cars in a row..

Just keep your work on them, if you decide to use the Clay Mitt on them, consistent, even, again like you are lightly sanding the paint in straight lines..

Dont dig into the paint , but keep even pressure across it.. You can even hear the sound of the mitt or claybar going across a rough surface, and then as you keep doing it, the sound goes away, and you can be pretty sure, that spot is now smooth..

On all black paint, I always keep them really wet to help me not make more work for myself.. Its a balance, between getting it really smooth and not going to far that you accidently marr it a little, but you will be able to find that balance, if you pay attention to what is going on and never get distracted while doing this part..

Those are some nice black beauties you have !!!!

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man. Yea they’re pretty. The mustang wears its original 1990 paint that everyone thinks is in great shape except me lol. I will get the whole car repainted in the future. The Trans Am is a whole different animal. That car just sits. So I doubt I’ll be putting the mitt to that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dan one more thing- I’m in need of having my three go to polishing compounds from menzerna.

What three do you gravitate to?

AG only sells two in their kit. I always like to finish black off with a 85RD or whatever the new equivalent is.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan one more thing- I’m in need of having my three go to polishing compounds from menzerna.

What three do you gravitate to?

AG only sells two in their kit. I always like to finish black off with a 85RD or whatever the new equivalent is.

Striker --
    I still have old bottles of Menzerna SIP (Super Intensive Polish), Power Finish (PO 203S), Micro Polish ( PO85RD), and Super Finish (PO 106FA)..

I have 4 of the newest Menzerna Line - 2500 (Medium Cut Polish) Cut=5, Gloss=7, 3000 (Final Finish) Cut=3, Gloss=9, 3500 (Super Finish) Cut=3, Gloss=10, 3800 (Super Finish Plus) Cut=2, Gloss=10..

If I had your vehicles and the paint was in really good condition, no swirls, defects, etc., just wanting to keep them at that highest level, the last 3 - 3000Final Finish, 3500Super Finish, and 3800Super Finish Plus would be good choices...

I still need 2500 Medium Cut Polish for those dirty, neglected, german cars that come by occasionally..

There are so many products out there from so many people - even more every year now...

I tend to trust those that have the longest history and especially those that seriously manufacture these products for things like industrial use, etc... They have way more skin in the game to want to goof that up and lose their butts with lousy products, etc...

Another couple of great products I have used over the years has been Optimum Hyper-Polish, Optimum Finish, and Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish..

And as you already know, the pads used change all the variables up and down the scale as well...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t mean to nitpick your suggestions but.....

For me to maintain my two black summer toys.

Which of those three Menzernas should I go with ? I’m also guessing they finish with a white pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like (based on your rating) the Super Finish 3500 would work best with a cut of 3 and a gloss of 10?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like (based on your rating) the Super Finish 3500 would work best with a cut of 3 and a gloss of 10?

I assume you have used Menzerna on your vehicles before, right ??
    A white Lake, Country foam pad could be used and get good results, with the right technique..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Yep!

I too have old bottles of intensive polish and finishing polish that are a decade old lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Striker,

Well, not knowing the condition of your paint and going by what you have said, I would agree and say that Super Finish 3500 C=3, G=10 would work to get a little stuff off if needed (and then this is also pad dependent), and finish out really clear and glossy for your Black Beauties..
    Dan F
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What pads would you recommend for the 3500? White and then followed by black LC pads?

Also I’m thinking of this combo

2500-orange pad
    3000-white pad
    3500-Black pad

For all other maintenance not on my cars as they don’t see the weather.

Please correct me if I’m missing something.

Post Thanks / Like

hello, any update on this clay disc ? would you recommend it ? Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information