Post Thanks / Like

Need help with static

I just got a new car and I`m having major problems with static inside. I`ll use a dust microfiber and then actually watch lint/dust in the air dive bomb back onto the screen, glass, and interior panels. Does anyone have some good products to recommend to help with this - glass cleaner, interior cleaner or finish, etc.?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with static

Congrats on the new car ! What did you get ?

I have had awesome results for a long time with this -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-9...l#.WrPgYGpzb3g

It has a mild cleaner, nice scent, is safe for everything inside the vehicle, leaves a nice finish that matches the material its is applied to, and does not attract dust..
    Good luck with your research --
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I just got a Honda CR-V EX-L with 4 miles on it. Before that I had a used Kia Sorento for 4 years and it wasn`t in the best shape so I didn`t spend much effort detailing it...so I`ve got some catching up to do knowledge-wise.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would guess , please update your profile of where you are located, that you are in a dry area as humidity will kill static.. I would use a slightly damp cotton towel (warm if possible) to wipe around while your car is out gassing.

Honda plastic can get tricky and I have seen a lot of blotching and most of the time it`s not the product, it`s the car.

ps ..congrats on the new ride
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

"Gassing out" is the process of chemicals, mostly organic (carbon-based), evaporating from materials used in the interior of a vehicle. It`s that "new car smell" that everyone notices in newer vehicles. They evaporate for four reasons:
    1) Heat from the climate you live in and the use of interior heaters and electronic equipment and the color of your interior
    2) Relative Humidity (Deserts versus humid southern ocean climate)
    3) Ambient Air Pressure (The higher the altitude, the less the pressure, however minimally this may be)
    4) The types of material used the interior (plastics, vinyls, foam, carpets, seat fabrics and/or leathers, rubber floor mats, and of course, the abundant use of adhesives and sealants) Some are "inexpensive", some are exotic, depending on the make of the car.
    The gassing out is not a cause of static in a vehicle. It is the reason WHY your windows exhibit a film on them that may be difficult to remove and will reappear almost immediately after you have cleaned your interior windows. However, the type of plastics and vinyl and seat fabric IS a contributor to that static.
    As stated, humidity is a neutralizer of static because of the negative ion charge on free-floating water molecules. Another way to neutralize static is to allow it somewhere to go, as funny as it sounds. Your Honda is pretty well isolated and not grounded to allow the flow of electricity through a vehicle because of those 4 rubber tires that act as electrical insulators. You could use an old rural postal carrier "trick" which is to attach steel strips to the frame and let them drag on the ground to act as a lightening rod or true ground in which static electricity is allowed a to flow thru or to. Ask any rural mail carrier if this is necessary when they touch a steel or aluminum mail box on a metal pole. It`s like a very small lighten bolt and the ensuing jolt can be hair raising and painful. Working in the paper converting industry with paper running over steel rolls at 3000-to-4000 feet per minute, we HAD to ground machine sections, and we used aluminum Christmas tree tinsel wrapped around key components. The tinsel acted a small lightening rods to collect the static electricity and then ground it. Again if one did not do this and came in contact with a statically-charged machine component it, too, is quite a jolt. I suppose it WOULD look funny with Christmas tinsel hanging out the door of your Honda as you went down the road.
    As suggested, a light mist of distilled water on a daily basis when the weather is dry might be a more feasible solution. Wiping with cotton cloths will induce slighlty less static than microfibers on plastic, but if you ground your interior with tinsel while you wipe, you might avoid this. Sounds like a "wives tale" or just plain BS, but do not knock it until you try it. That, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn I`d like to sell you...
    GB detailer

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phareous View Post
    Thanks I just got a Honda CR-V EX-L with 4 miles on it. Before that I had a used Kia Sorento for 4 years and it wasn`t in the best shape so I didn`t spend much effort detailing it...so I`ve got some catching up to do knowledge-wise.
    Phareous --

I like that Honda CR-V EX-L ! A very nice ride ! The new one has been written up very favorably in Motor Trend magazine..

I had an old one - 2000 CR-V with a 5 speed that I taught all my step-kids how to drive in.. It worked good even in some snow..

For Glass cleaning, I have always had great success with this -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/megu...l#.WrP7MWpzb3g

You can dilute it 10:1 (3.25 oz,) in a 35 ounce bottle (add 32 oz of water), and make 11 gallons of it, so it will last forever.. It works great at cleaning inside and outside glass, and leaves a nice clean scent that goes away quickly..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

You need to ground strap your car........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind comments...I`m very excited to have a new car again. I was actually using sprayway on the glass with some glass cleaning microfibers. I`m not sure if the dust/lint was coming from the clothes or the air, or both. I might try some different ones. For the inside I haven`t used any liquid cleaners yet, just a dusting microfiber. I guess I need some moisture then to help with that.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d keep an eye on the static, I`ve been in many new vehicles and I`ve never ran into the static issue, but as Accumulator says: "*YMMV*". If the static doesn`t go away, there may be a few grounds that need to be checked.

Thread Information