Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Intro to GYEON quartz Q2 Mohs

Good Day Autopia!

I wanted to take some time today and start a discussion on the workhorse of the GYEON quartz Q2 Coating line, Q2 Mohs.

Intro to GYEON quartz Q2 Mohs-mohs_coating.jpg

To me, the biggest advantage of working with Q2 Mohs is its ease of use. Easy on and easy off while performing at a high level. What plays in to that?

1. Q2 Mohs is a PHPS based coating (polysilazane.....and not SiO2). So very smooth application without the tacky wipe off.

2. High quality carrier solvents and a great ratio of silazanes to solvents.

Q2 Mohs is designed as a 2 layer coating that can be layered up to 3 times. Past 3 layers it stops wanting to interact with the next.

Q2 Mohs is also designed as a protection oriented product. Is it the glossiest on the planet by itself? Probably not although it delivers plenty of gloss and I install it as a stand alone often. The Sio2 based coatings will deliver that very dramatic bend of light where Q2 Mohs gives a very crisp and clean pop.

Does it give the highest water bead angle on the planet at 105 degree contact angle? Probably not although that`s not to say it doesn`t display nice beading characteristics and remove water and contaminant from the surface at a high level.

Q2 Mohs really shows it`s stuff in terms of durability and protection, which is what we are asking a coating to really do. It is extremely resistant in terms of UV and Chemical damage. It`s ability to withstand penetration from these factors is at the top of its class.

If you are in to multi-layered coatings, you`ll understand why Q2 Mohs is typically the starting point for a few cool product combinations in the GYEON quartz line up:

1. Q2 Mohs topped with Q2 CanCoat. This is one of my all time favorites. I like to apply 2 layers of Q2 Mohs, wait overnight, and then drop a layer of Q2 CanCoat over it in the morning. Q2 CanCoat is SiO2 based. So we are getting the protection and durability out of Q2 Mohs and then a pop in gloss and water beading characteristics out of Q2 CanCoat. With good maintenance I would easily expect 3 years + out of this combination.

2. Q2 Mohs topped with Q2 Booster. This combination is very close to what you would receive in the GYEON Certified Detailer Q2 DuraBead product. Q2 Booster, like Q2 Bead in DuraBead, is a Fluorine based top coat designed to increase surface tension and throw the water beading characteristics through the roof. The Fluorine base of Q2 Booster is performing a chemical reaction with the Q2 Mohs underneath, and is not a true additional layer. Q2 Booster also needs to be applied before Q2 Mohs has cured, so it is best to apply them as a system and in sequence. Q2 Booster will not do much good say 6 months down the road. It can also be applied over any high quality coating.

3. The new Q2 SYNCRO Kit (Q2 Mohs and Q2 SKIN). This is a new product released at SEMA 2017 that is designed as the ultimate DIY coating, and used by professionals as well. It includes a 50 ml of Q2 Mohs as the base coating. And then we have a 30 ml of Q2 SKIN as the top coat. Q2 SKIN is a true additional layer of coating. It provides its own unique gloss that looks really good. It is silicon based and is designed to deliver maximum slickness. Very cool coating worth checking out. The SKIN top coat is close to what is included in the GYEON Certified Detailer Q2 DuraFlex kit.

I`d love to hear how you guys are using Q2 Mohs! And here to answer any questions!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff McEachran
    National Brand Manager
    GYEON quartz USA
    Thanks Diner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intro to GYEON quartz Q2 Mohs

If I was to go with a stand alone coating, i.e. not topping it with something like CanCoat or Booster, does Mohs hold any advantage over Pure? Also, since Pure and Mohs are the same price, what characteristics should I consider to discriminate between the two, again considering I won`t be topping and simply maintaining with Cure.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Great questions. Yes Q2 Mohs and Q2 Pure are both held in the "Professional" category of the GYEON coatings. Q2 Mohs is great as a stand alone coating, with a few significant differences from Q2 Pure:

1. Q2 Mohs
    - Must be applied in at least 2 layers
    - PHPS based, smooth install with easy removal
    - Sharp and crisp gloss in my opinion
    - Protection oriented

2. Q2 Pure
    - Designed as a thick single layer coating
    - Highly concentrated SiO2 make up
    - Very dramatic and candy gloss
    - Will have a "tackier" removal than Mohs given the high SiO2 concentration
    - Gloss oriented and great against water spots

In a shop or business setting, I reach for Q2 Mohs because it is outrageously easy to install. If I were doing my personal car at home on a weekend, and I wanted just crazy gloss in one thick layer then I would reach for Q2 Pure. You will surely need more intention during removal with Q2 Pure. I like to use several brand new microfibers and a hand held light to make sure I am removing all excess material.
    Jeff McEachran
    National Brand Manager
    GYEON quartz USA
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GYEON_Jeff View Post
    Great questions. Yes Q2 Mohs and Q2 Pure are both held in the "Professional" category of the GYEON coatings. Q2 Mohs is great as a stand alone coating, with a few significant differences from Q2 Pure:

1. Q2 Mohs
    - Protection oriented

2. Q2 Pure

In a shop or business setting, I reach for Q2 Mohs because it is outrageously easy to install. If I were doing my personal car at home on a weekend, and I wanted just crazy gloss in one thick layer then I would reach for Q2 Pure. You will surely need more intention during removal with Q2 Pure. I like to use several brand new microfibers and a hand held light to make sure I am removing all excess material.
    Welcome...glad to see Gyeon here.
    Likes GYEON_Jeff liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First off welcome to Autopia Jeff. It is good to see you posting here as well.

1. Q2 Mohs is a PHPS based coating (polysilazane.....and not SiO2). So very smooth application without the tacky wipe off.

2. Q2 Mohs topped with Q2 Booster. This combination is very close to what you would receive in the GYEON Certified Detailer Q2 DuraBead product. Q2 Booster, like Q2 Bead in DuraBead, is a Fluorine based top coat designed to increase surface tension and throw the water beading characteristics through the roof. The Fluorine base of Q2 Booster is performing a chemical reaction with the Q2 Mohs underneath, and is not a true additional layer. Q2 Booster also needs to be applied before Q2 Mohs has cured, so it is best to apply them as a system and in sequence. Q2 Booster will not do much good say 6 months down the road. It can also be applied over any high quality coating.
    Learned something new about the chemical make up of Mohs. I will say it is one of the easiest coatings to apply. Especially the new version in the syncro kit. By the way the syncro kit is nice. Whoa that water behavior and slickness is by far the best I have used from a base coat/top coat combo. It has retained it`s performance 2 months later which is impressive. Nothing sticks to it even foaming with soap.

I see you mention that it is recommended to apply booster before Mohs has cured. Is there a recommended time frame in hours? 4 hours? 12 hours?

Interesting at how the top coats bond to the base layer.

1. Q2 Mohs
    - Protection oriented

2. Q2 Pure

Thanks for this information between the two coatings. I just saw on the Gyeon Quartz facebook page with Pure topped with CanCoat and that looks impressive as well.

One other question for you. I have some left over Skin and would that have any issues being used over Pure?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this info, Jeff. It`s great to see gyeon providing meaningful info on where their products are situated in the line.

What is the necessity of doing 2 layers of Mohs, and what is the consequence of only doing a single layer?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike! Thank you sir. I look forward to being here and talking some shop.

I like Booster at least 4 hours after Mohs and a max of 24 hours. Technically you could apply it as far ahead as a few days, but that would stress me out. I want to know I am getting a good reaction with Booster to a still curing Mohs.

I haven`t topped Pure with SKIN yet, but I don`t see any reason it would be an issue as it is its own additional layer. Let me run that specific question up to GYEON HQ to make sure I am on the right track.
    Jeff McEachran
    National Brand Manager
    GYEON quartz USA
    Likes The Guz, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Thanks for posting this info, Jeff. It`s great to see gyeon providing meaningful info on where their products are situated in the line.

What is the necessity of doing 2 layers of Mohs, and what is the consequence of only doing a single layer?
    Thank you! I`m very glad to be here.

So while Mohs is intended to be applied heavy (I go on heavy with the first layer and then a touch less with subsequent layers) it cures in to a relatively thin layer...but does not shrink! This is something that is very important and that we as an industry don`t talk about too much. Many of the "thicker" SiO2 coatings leave an initially "thick" layer of coating however then shrink significantly as they cure. This isn`t much of an issue as there isn`t any inherent benefit in a coating building up an overly "thick" layer of material. What we are asking a coating to do is withstand penetration of chemical and environmental fallout as well as UV damage. So whether or not the layer is exceptionally thick doesn`t play a huge roll in that if the chemical make up is up to par. I think thickness does play a larger roll in durability. So we go on with 2 healthy layers of Mohs. I am getting 2-3 years out of 2 layers of Mohs with good maintenance in Denver. GYEON has always been extremely conservative in durability claims. What is listed on the packaging is worst case scenario with bad maintenance.

You can apply 1 layer of Mohs, I would just look for less durability.
    Jeff McEachran
    National Brand Manager
    GYEON quartz USA
    Likes Audios S6, BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff! You could call it Q2 "SHOW" if you turn it around!!
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this write up Jeff. Always great to learn new pieces of information. I enjoy working with Q2 Mohs and agreed on the ease of application, its probably my go to now for client cars when they want a coating. Will it ever be possible to buy Q2 Skin as a standalone (I have only seen it in the Syncro package) or is it really just meant to top Mohs and not meant to be applied to bare paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike! Thank you sir. I look forward to being here and talking some shop.

I like Booster at least 4 hours after Mohs and a max of 24 hours. Technically you could apply it as far ahead as a few days, but that would stress me out. I want to know I am getting a good reaction with Booster to a still curing Mohs.

I haven`t topped Pure with SKIN yet, but I don`t see any reason it would be an issue as it is its own additional layer. Let me run that specific question up to GYEON HQ to make sure I am on the right track.
    Thanks Jeff. Looking forward to hearing back what you learn from Gyeon HQ. I may just test out Skin over Pure seeing as I have both in my possession.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Thank you for this write up Jeff. Always great to learn new pieces of information. I enjoy working with Q2 Mohs and agreed on the ease of application, its probably my go to now for client cars when they want a coating. Will it ever be possible to buy Q2 Skin as a standalone (I have only seen it in the Syncro package) or is it really just meant to top Mohs and not meant to be applied to bare paint?
    You`re very welcome! SKIN is currently only intended for use over Mohs in the SYNCRO kit. I haven`t heard anything about it being available as an individual unit. I`m sure it COULD be applied to bare paint, but I would expect a huge number in the durability sector.
    Jeff McEachran
    National Brand Manager
    GYEON quartz USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Nice stuff! You could call it Q2 "SHOW" if you turn it around!!
    Haha I have had several people call it SHOW until they saw it pronounced Mohs somewhere.
    Jeff McEachran
    National Brand Manager
    GYEON quartz USA

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff! In terms of explaining options (managing expectations) to customers to your comfort, would you say a 2 to 3 or 3+ year window would be appropriate depending on their being 2 or 3 layers of Mohs? Or something more concrete time frame? I am asking because the 24 months was listed as the advertised number, but my gut feeling says you believe this isn`t a 2 year coating.

Also I am asking in regards to Mohs with Skin or maybe topped with Cancoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    Hi Jeff! In terms of explaining options (managing expectations) to customers to your comfort, would you say a 2 to 3 or 3+ year window would be appropriate depending on their being 2 or 3 layers of Mohs? Or something more concrete time frame? I am asking because the 24 months was listed as the advertised number, but my gut feeling says you believe this isn`t a 2 year coating.

Also I am asking in regards to Mohs with Skin or maybe topped with Cancoat.
    I preach Maintenance pretty hard. I typically say 2-3 years depending on maintenance. And try to set peoples expectations correctly. I also discuss how the car lives it`s life. If it is a weekend toy then we should see the high end. If it is a daily driver that sees all 4 seasons I say we need to focus on maintenance diligently so we see the durability we want.

And think about this. This exact same Q2 Mohs was the base coating for the 5 yr Certified Detailer Coating Kits up until this year which GYEON had no problem standing behind. So I think Mohs is pretty stout.
    Jeff McEachran
    National Brand Manager
    GYEON quartz USA
    Likes Rod73, RaydiantDetail, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information