Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IK 9 Foam Sprayer vs Foam Gun?

Just wondering if people with hose-end/Foamaster foam guns are still using them with the pistol-grips. First thing I do with a new foamgun is unscrew that and toss it in the Goodwill box.
    Likes Bigmike40nj liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m having water come out of the orifice on the body of the foam gun and the screw not allowing the gun to produce foam. This really sucks because this foam gun is two years old tops. I am going to call Gilmour tomorrow to see if they can help me get the gun to produce foam again I am ordering the all plastic foam gun too. Maybe it will last longer than the more expensive brass kind
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I`m having water come out of the orifice on the body of the foam gun and the screw ..
    Hmm...the pickup tube and the brass tube that the black plastic foamer nozzle snaps onto are all I can think of (the in-and-out on either side of that piece)...sigh, "usual suspects"...so I`m clueless what else could be the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Just wondering if people with hose-end/Foamaster foam guns are still using them with the pistol-grips. First thing I do with a new foamgun is unscrew that and toss it in the Goodwill box.
    YES! On the rare occasion I do use mine, I use the pistol grip. Didn`t even know there was another way of using it. How? Please teach me!

Post Thanks / Like

Its actually easier for me to use the PW than a hose (bonus that is uses way less water). Have the PW hanging on the wall, a the PW hose on a nice real and a hose bib just a bit away (all in the garage). Debating the merits of a foam presoak with traditional car soap is already covered in a gazillion other threads.

With that nice new garage you have (it is awesome), find a spot near the garage door to wall mount a little PW (the small ryobi model is perfect for this), get a decent PW hose reel and 25 - 50 ft hose....done.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    YES! On the rare occasion I do use mine, I use the pistol grip. Didn`t even know there was another way of using it. How? Please teach me!
    Well, it starts with my spending your money again

Unscrew and discard the pistol grip. Screw a male brass quick-connect in there in its place.

At the end of your hose, put on a full-flow (wide orifice/ball valve) shutoff and screw the female brass quick connect onto that.

Water flow into the foamgun is then controlled with the above-mentioned shutoff via thumb action.

While it might take a little acclimation, and you just never know about those personal preferences, I find that operating the foamgun that way *vastly* eases the whole business of "wash medium in one hand, foamgun spraying at point-of-contact in the other". Just having your hand/wrist somewhat parallel to the foamgun/hose rather than perpendicular to it makes a huge diff for me, but hey...YMMV.
    Likes Wknd Dtlr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Unscrew and discard the pistol grip. Screw a male brass quick-connect in there in its place.

At the end of your hose, put on a full-flow (wide orifice/ball valve) shutoff and screw the female brass quick connect onto that.

Water flow into the foamgun is then controlled with the above-mentioned shutoff via thumb action.

While it might take a little acclimation, and you just never know about those personal preferences, I find that operating the foamgun that way *vastly* eases the whole business of "wash medium in one hand, foamgun spraying at point-of-contact in the other". Just having your hand/wrist somewhat parallel to the foamgun/hose rather than perpendicular to it makes a huge diff for me, but hey...YMMV.
    I learned this from you, and do the exact same thing. Easy to turn the foam gun in my left hand on/off with my thumb, and use my right hand to wash. AutoGeek sells a rinseless wash mitt that releases dirt really easily, and I use one or more of those. If the dirt doesn`t rinse off the mitt instantly, I`ll grab a new mitt after using both sides.
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gspam View Post
    I learned this from you, and do the exact same thing. Easy...
    I *really* appreciate that feedback, and I`m glad it`s working for you.

(NOTE- I value all feedback, even when it`s negative..really do want to know whether my advice was good/bad.)

.. AutoGeek sells a rinseless wash mitt that releases dirt really easily, and I use one or more of those..
    If I ever wear out my current wash mitts I`ll have to look into those. Though I do think I`d prefer just having a zillion Eagle Edgeless MFs.
    Likes Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 of the smaller IK pump foamers, and use them for tires/wheels. Each are chemical dedicated
    HD wheel cleaner
    HD tire cleaner
    Ph balancing, mild all in one T/W cleaner for final soak.

The small IK has a very dense foam, which needs a very thorough rinse, plus many many pumps.

The larger foamer I am thinking about, just don`t know how you could rinse all that thick foam off ??

My pick would be the foam gun, then you have it all, without the pumping.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a decent alternative to the top of the line foam guns and it`s less expensive than some of the pump sprayers--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ifurdYHIM

I put in the wrong link so have updated it. Keep in mind this video is with a 1500 PSI pressure washer--foam might be better with more pressure or different soap.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    This looks like a decent alternative to the top of the line foam guns and it`s less expensive than some of the pump sprayers---https://gotrinova.com/products/foam-cannon-gun

This looks good because of the larger bottle opening, and wide base to help with tip overs, it also feels solid.
    Can`t beat the price !!

Post Thanks / Like

The iK foamers are definitely produce the best foam of all the foamers I`ve used. (Well, actually, the Griot`s pneumatic foamer produces the richest, driest, fluffiest foam, but it needs a gallon reservoir to cover a vehicle without reloading.)

The best foam isn`t all that important for presoak.

I still foam for presoak, but I believe I do it because of its therapeutic value to me. What had dirt before the foam still has dirt after the foam. The dust and loose grit, however, are gone. (But those would`ve been gone with plain water.)

Every detailer should have some iK foamers.

(The bigger iK foamer should be offered with a air-fill valve for pressurizing with an air compressor. Someone showed how he did it (maybe it was Merlin), but the process looked a little uncomfortable for me. I have a big Lafferty foamer with this valve and I use it more often than my Kwazar Orion because of how easy it is to pressurize.)

IXLRS, pay attention to what Accumulator says about his wash method. You`ll read about the virtues of the dual-bucket method, and they`re great, but Accumulator`s method achieves the same goals at an even higher level of clean (less contamination in rinse water and soap). Plus, it`s faster.

For maintenance washes in which your Macan is very lightly soiled, consider a rinseless wash. A rinseless wash on a lightly soiled car often results in a shinier finish than washing a dirty car with a traditional soap. After you`ve done a rinseless wash a few times, you might appreciate it as your fastest wash.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)
    Likes IXLRS, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A tips for you with a big container and pump to get pressure. You need to have a over pressure valve to be safe to do this. Get an air valve that is for tires on cars those you can buy for a low price. Drill a hole that is recommended for the air valve on top of the container/bottle and mount it to this. Know you are able to fill it with an air compressor instead of pumping it up. To get this effective you need an oversized volume container/bottle and fill it up to 2/3 with solution. If you fill it up to much with product the compressed air will last less. This is for all pump pressure bottles. And be certain that you have a safety to not get to much of pressure in the bottles. An air compressor fill it up very fast.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    The best foam isn`t all that important for presoak.

I still foam for presoak, but I believe I do it because of its therapeutic value to me. What had dirt before the foam still has dirt after the foam. The dust and loose grit, however, are gone. (But those would`ve been gone with plain water.)
    That`s kinda what I had figured, and it`s why my foamer never even got properly unpacked (just set on a shelf and neglected).
    When people use a foamer and rinse the foam off, is the vehicle basically clean looking?
    ..pay attention to what Accumulator says about his wash method. You`ll read about the virtues of the dual-bucket method, and they`re great, but Accumulator`s method achieves the same goals at an even higher level of clean (less contamination in rinse water and soap). Plus, it`s faster...
    Heh heh- my test for the TBM: if there`s dirt in your rinse bucket then uh-oh. Dirt stuck to wash medium, which is moved across the paint, is an Rx for marring. By the time it makes it into your rinse bucket it`s already been dragged across the paint. I use the TBM too, but I recognize its limitations. And if I see dirt in my rinse buckets it means I messed up.

I honestly don`t know whether I get things *cleaner* with my method as I`m really concentrating on not marring things. "Clean enough", though..not like claying a test-spot shows contamination; I just clayed the whole Tahoe for the first time in *years* and it wasn`t even remotely bad, could`ve just skipped it.

Getting things clean is easy, I bet you could train a smart monkey to wash a car and get it clean. It`s doing that over and over for years without marring the paint up (too badly) that`s a challenge. Having a LSP/coating that releases contamination is crucial IME.

Faster? It can go pretty fast indeed, but just because an approach will allow you to clean a panel in five seconds that doesn`t mean you shouldn`t spend five minutes at it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie
    For maintenance washes in which your Macan is very lightly soiled, consider a rinseless wash. A rinseless wash on a lightly soiled car often results in a shinier finish than washing a dirty car with a traditional soap. After you`ve done a rinseless wash a few times, you might appreciate it as your fastest wash.
    I do that except that I first rinse it off with the pressure washer (to the point where it "looks perfectly clean") and then do a wash with the BHB/foamgun combo, which I bet most people could just skip if the soiling was really light. And THEN...yeah, rinseless wash using basically a lazy guy`s version of the GDWM. I just wouldn`t do a RW if I could actually see the dirt on there. (Yeah, I know others do it all the time.)

If I skipped all the out-of-sight areas, I bet that Macan could go very fast indeed if washed often enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it`s been a while since you`ve spent my money! So maybe it`s time?

That process sounds easy enough. It will be some time before I can do it, though. Haven`t washed with a hose in a while. Thanks California water restrictions.

I *really* appreciate that feedback, and I`m glad it`s working for you.

(NOTE- I value all feedback, even when it`s negative..really do want to know whether my advice was good/bad.)
    All my money you`ve spent, and all the advice you`ve given me has worked out well. Not a single issue that would cause me to doubt anything you would say.

I`m currently testing a handful of sealants, but to this day, FK1000p is still the most durable, "best" protection I`ve used. [Scare quotes intentional, as everyone has their opinion as to what "best" is for them]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information