Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Not a question i seen asked much..

What do the veterans here think of the best cutting and/or longest lasting AIO`s that are on the market?

I enjoy working with AIO`s and i might pick up something different then gyeon`s primer, which i have, for a family members car. Primer is super light on a lake country orange pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not a question i seen asked much..

Anything from Duragloss, Mothers, Meguiars.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

3D Speed

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

None of them last all that long alone. Zaino AIO is probably one of the longest lasting ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    None of them last all that long alone.
    This was my experience too and why I don`t use AIOs. I`ve tried Poorboys World Polish with Sealant and Griots Garage One Step Sealant. Of the two, I liked the looks of the Griots better and found it offered a little more correction as well. Longevity of both was about two months, maybe three at the longest.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

None of them last all that long alone. Zaino AIO is probably one of the longest lasting ones.
    Agree. ZAIO is the longest lasting that I have used. 4 months parked outside is typical though it has failed on me on occasion. The DG RV stuff is almost as good. McKees AIO also seems remarkably like ZAIO.

Also the more cut the shorter their durability from my experience. With durable spray waxes being the norm now it hardly makes sense to use a strong AIO, just polish and spray wax.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Agree. ZAIO is the longest lasting that I have used. 4 months parked outside is typical though it has failed on me on occasion. The DG RV stuff is almost as good. McKees AIO also seems remarkably like ZAIO.

Also the more cut the shorter their durability from my experience. With durable spray waxes being the norm now it hardly makes sense to use a strong AIO, just polish and spray wax.
    Yeah i`m basically on the same page. Maybe i will just use 3D One or Rupes DA fine. Looks like i don`t have much use for gyeon primer lol and i have 1 and half small bottles lol But it a treat to work with. Maybe i will try it on one panel. I never bothered trying to use it with my coatings. It makes everything more complicated unless you want to panel wipe after 15min like Geoff from gyeon said in an article - i guess i could use it like that. I was going to use it for a while just because i thought it might help me spread and level CQUK better since the surface would be slick. But since trying Nova EVO i never had any of those problems. Not that CQUK was terrible.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

If you use a rinseless wash with protection an AIO will be fine for most people.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a rinseless wash with protection an AIO will be fine for most people.
    Or a regular wash with "wax". I`m a big fan of TW ICE soap. It`s cheap and provides pretty good beading.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is this "detailing myth" that as long as you have water beading from wax or sealant or SiO2 wash that you have "protection" on your clear coat paint. That has long been a point of contention and heated discussion within this forum.
    Depends what you define as "protection". If you mean from bird bombs, insect splatter, tree sap, and industrial fallout, then no, you do not have "protection" when using such Last-Step Products (LSP). Nothing short of protective plastic film (PPF) or a high-quality TRUE coating will give you that protection from such contaminants, which is why many Autopians are using both on their vehicles.

You may argue that point, but your daily-driven vehicle exterior clear-coat/paint will really tell the story.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Looks like i don`t have much use for gyeon primer lol and i have 1 and half small bottles lol But it a treat to work with.
    I always thought the point of Gyeon Primer, CarPro Essence and similar products was to be a primer or sorts. Something to refine the surface and leave something behind with will make the final product (a Gyeon or CarPro coating) perform better. Not as a stand alone AIO product.

I think some people overestimate the abilities of these products because they have some coating-like materials in them. Just because do offer a little protection doesn`t mean that is what the product was designed to do performs all that well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I think there is this "detailing myth" that as long as you have water beading from wax or sealant or SiO2 wash that you have "protection" on your clear coat paint. That has long been a point of contention and heated discussion within this forum.
    Depends what you define as "protection". If you mean from bird bombs, insect splatter, tree sap, and industrial fallout, then no, you do not have "protection" when using such Last-Step Products (LSP). Nothing short of protective plastic film (PPF) or a high-quality TRUE coating will give you that protection from such contaminants, which is why many Autopians are using both on their vehicles.

You may argue that point, but your daily-driven vehicle exterior clear-coat/paint will really tell the story.
    Agree. A good sealant will provide some protection from the environment, but not to a coating level, and I can`t imagine any wash-wax/seal offering any real protection at all. At least the ones I`ve tried in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I always thought the point of Gyeon Primer, CarPro Essence and similar products was to be a primer or sorts. Something to refine the surface and leave something behind with will make the final product (a Gyeon or CarPro coating) perform better. Not as a stand alone AIO product.

I think some people overestimate the abilities of these products because they have some coating-like materials in them. Just because do offer a little protection doesn`t mean that is what the product was designed to do performs all that well.
    Reading Mike`s (The Guz) post just now on autogeek on eraser and essence etc, i might actually go with my long forgotten plan of using gyeon primer has my 2nd step and just wait 15min or so before an IPA wipedown. Gyeon panel prep actually which you said you liked in that same post I find its easier to work with then eraser. I change my mind so much lol I just recently bought 3D`s ACA 520 so i still might change my mind once again.

This year i have all my polishes on a utility cart so i go with the movement. One day it was Rupes DA fine, another day it was 3D one, sonax cutmax for some spots etc lol Since i really enjoy working with primer i think i will be grabbing that after hopefully a medium cut with 3D One and the urofiber pad. I`m doing a 2 step on my bonnet in a few weeks, it as a good amount of swirls. Poor washing i`m guessing. Really have room for improvement there.

Oh yeah i don`t think essence and primer are marketed as AIO`s but i could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

True Lonnie, but worth mentioning that some products actually create more damage as well, for example with bird bombs. I don`t think a few mils of anything will make your paint damage proof. But a lot of products that bead make contaminants come off very easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Essence and Q2 Primer are not AIO’s. They are finishing polishes. People think they are AIO’s because they contain silica.

They will both be hydrophilic when water hits them.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes noorth liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information