Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PSA: Impact of cleaning products on your health

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Brake pad material used to be asbestos/etc.-based back then.
    Ahh, now i get it. All I really recall about drum brakes us searching the front lawn for retainer springs and hold downs that shot off the car cuz I was too cheap to buy proper brake tools.
    Likes Ronkh, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the good ol` days. Like high school chem class where mercury was played with in our hands to "prove" a metal could be a liquid at room temperature, OR the "uneducated" chem student who "accidentally" mixed chemical-strength bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and ammonia (10% solution!) and clears the school out. Of all the home-care cleaning "accidents" that send "ignorant" home-owners to the hospital emergency room in America, it is the mixing of bleach and ammonia-based cleaners in an attempt to have a more-effective cleaning solution, only to produce an extremely toxic gas/fumes that damage the lungs.

That leads to a very interesting topic about the long-range health effects of silicone (Si) based chemicals. In time will it be the equivalent of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)?? We just do not know, so enjoy (use) them while you can. Unfortunately, this is how misinformation, hearsay, rumors, untruths, and today`s "fake news" gets started, so blame this one on Captain Obvious. I would at least wear latex gloves if you are a professional detailer who handles (uses) such products on a regular (daily) basis.
    GB detailer
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Amonium iodide crystals
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who are unfamiliar with chemistry as to why Ronhk posted "ammonium iodide crystals" above, this was the result of a high school lab experiment that produced the crystals above that we called "fly paper explosives". The resulting crystals produced an small explosion when touched lightly. I THINK it is the chemical compound used in 4th of July fireworks (blasting caps??) we bought as kids that you could throw down on the ground and they would go off with a small `bang` when they hit a hard surface with force.
    True story from my junior year in high school chemistry class: Some "unintelligent" chem class student mixed a small batch of this crystal and placed it under the seat cushion of the chem teacher`s chair in hopes that it would explode and scare the teacher. It did not, but it did stain the cushion purple from the iodine. That student was expelled from the chem class for the year.
    But I digress... back to detailing safety
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ..[certain individuals are harmed by]..the mixing of bleach and ammonia-based cleaners in an attempt to have a more-effective cleaning solution, only to produce an extremely toxic gas/fumes that damage the lungs..
    Huh, surprised that Chlorine Gas thing is actually common, thought everybody knew about that after WWI. I distinctly remember my fave aunt warning me about that when I was in gradeschool, maybe 2nd grade or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information