Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

First post in +6.5 years what`s new?

Hello all!

I can only imagine the myriad of products offered today. Back when I used to browse this forum religiously the "Kevin Brown" method was just being written. I learned so much and applied all that knowledge to keeping my paint slick and beady. Sadly, over the years I`ve had less and less time devoted to maintenance. I`ve come back to hopefully get some advice on great products (mainly sealants) that I can apply throughout my 2018 Mythos Black SQ5 that I will be picking up this week. I`m looking to coat everything from wheels, interior, glass to engine bay.

In order of priority, I`m looking for- durability, protection, shine.

I`ve opted for Xpel and opti gloss coat on my last Mythos Black S4 and it was a winning combo. Is there anything better?

While quickly browsing the new threads, I stumbled upon CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating which was very intriguing. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First post in +6.5 years what`s new?

sus195-Welcome back! Fellow Audi nut here...

Over the time you were gone I`ve switched most of our vehicles to FK1000P High Temp Paste Wax (really a paste sealant) as I too am all about durability and protection.

Some people are all about coatings, but I only use them on certain wheels. Given how well the Gloss Coat worked for you (that`s what I use on wheels), the current version of that might be just what you`re after. I`ll be curious which coating you *do* go with if you pursue that route.

Be careful about Interior Coatings, some have found they weren`t, uhm...without potential drawbacks (including, "this is awful, how do I get it *off*?!?). I thought I`d be all about using those on the DogHaulers, but decided against it. (NOT intended as a slam against the CarPro CQuatrz, know nothing specific about it.)
    Likes sus195 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back.

Gloss Coat is ok. For me personally after a year it`s done. I did not get anywhere near the claimed 2 years out from it even when Optimum states that it is technically a 3 year coating. Just my experience as yours may vary. The big pro with Gloss Coat is it`s ease of application.

For glass Optimum`s Opti-Glass is probably my top glass coating. Maintained monthly with opti-glass clean and protect and it makes for a great 1-2 combo.

For wheels my personal favorite is Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour. CarPro DLUX is not bad either. You can technically use Gloss Coat for wheels as well if you opt to go with it.

With regards to the cquartz leather coating you can check out the review I have for it.

Review CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I would look at both Polish Angel and the Dr. Beasley line of products if you’re doing it yourself. If having it done, hands down Modesta.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Accumulator! Of all things your user name is still familiar! I`m also glad you`re an Audi Fan!

Just briefly read the description for FK1000P an that reminds me of popular Collinite Insulator Wax which was affordable and very durable. A little goes a loong way and I still have my first bottle. With that said, it just made me think about the shelf life of all my products.

Noted on the interior sealant, maybe just on the trim.

I`ll definitely keep you posted on which way I go!

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    sus195-Welcome back! Fellow Audi nut here...

Over the time you were gone I`ve switched most of our vehicles to FK1000P High Temp Paste Wax (really a paste sealant) as I too am all about durability and protection.

Some people are all about coatings, but I only use them on certain wheels. Given how well the Gloss Coat worked for you (that`s what I use on wheels), the current version of that might be just what you`re after. I`ll be curious which coating you *do* go with if you pursue that route.

Be careful about Interior Coatings, some have found they weren`t, uhm...without potential drawbacks (including, "this is awful, how do I get it *off*?!?). I thought I`d be all about using those on the DogHaulers, but decided against it. (NOT intended as a slam against the CarPro CQuatrz, know nothing specific about it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Yea gloss coat durability has varied with the family cars that I have coated. I haven`t tried Opti-Glass but have (might not be advised) used Opti coat for the glass. I`ll be sure to look into that! I`ll also check out the review for leather coating as it may help my decision. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I would look at both Polish Angel and the Dr. Beasley line of products if you’re doing it yourself. If having it done, hands down Modesta.
    Polish Angel is definitely a new brand that didn`t exist before. I`ve been seeing the name often while browsing along with Gyeon. I`ll need some more research on their products. Thank you for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

sus195- The Collinite 845 is one of the *very* few LSPs other than FK1000P that I still use (on some underneath areas of the `93 Audi). So I sure don`t dislike it or anything...but the FK1000P simply kills it for me when it comes to durability and protection.

Anyhoo...I`ll be interested to hear what you do/don`t update and how anything new works for you. IMO it *has* been an interesting few years with lots of new products and some significant updates of some older-tech stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Outside of a discussion of specialty products for matt paint or decals, I don`t think I`ve ever seen anyone recommend Dr. Beasley. I don`t know if I`ve seen hardly any product reviews for anything in their product line, especially for their two coatings. Any products you particularly liked?

Back to the OP....

I`ve been pretty happy with the McKee`s 37 Paint Coating. I found it to be a great product to learn coating application and care. Despite it`s low price of entry into this world, I found it looked really good and with a little care has easily held up for 12~18 months for a single application.

Post Thanks / Like

Just took delivery of the SQ5 today. Sad to say goodbye to the S4...it was an absolute blast and my first real "sports car". The dealer was so impressed by the condition in which it was returned they might buy it to resell themselves. I hand washed that car from day 1

Now... back to the new car! Wow, the technology is amazing and the fit and finish is more than I can ask for. I`ll be taking care of this car as much as I have all my other cars, but I got this for the utility- camping, hiking, transporting bikes and kayaks...etc. So protection of the interior/exterior is priority.

After close examination of the panels I`m going to attempt to apply Xpel paint protection on all large and flat panels. Like I mentioned, I`ve had it installed on the S4 and the ease of maintenance and protection was great, however I`m working on a tighter budget this time so perfection < protection.

Theres A LOT of glass including the panoramic sunroof so I plan on coating that with Opti-glass.
    Leather and trim was never really an issue, but I`m going to opt for Cquartz leather coating because I anticipate a lot of beach activities that deals with salt, sweat, and sun block.
    303 Fabric guard for exposed carpeting and trunk lining
    I`ve never tried GTechniq wheel armor, but I`ll give it a shot for the 20" wheels
    Since I`m used to Opti gloss I`ll apply that to all remaining panels and engine bay
    Lastly, FK1000P to apply on top of Xpel and under carriage and misc parts

Please let me know your thoughts and if you would do anything differently! Thanks for all the advice

Post Thanks / Like

sus195- Heh heh, *MY* big thought is that a SQ% is gonna be a full-time job compared to a S4! We get Q5s as loaners and I always think that I`d simply go nuts trying to keep one decent. Well, easier than a Q7 at least!

You gonna DIY the PPF or have it done?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    sus195- Heh heh, *MY* big thought is that a SQ% is gonna be a full-time job compared to a S4! We get Q5s as loaners and I always think that I`d simply go nuts trying to keep one decent. Well, easier than a Q7 at least!

You gonna DIY the PPF or have it done?
    Lol yes there is definitely a lot more surface area on the Q. It`s been raining for the last 2 days and I can tell there are more areas where water just settles, proper wax and sealant should help.

I`ve installed simple PPF on some panels but had a pro install the full front. I hope I`m not biting more than I can chew with this project

Post Thanks / Like

sus195- I hear you on not biting off more than you can chew...I`m leaning towards having somebody do my PPFing in its entirety as I suspect I`d botch it up.

And yeah...there are just *so many* little styling details on those things...compared to the simpler S4 at least.
    Likes sus195 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using Griots PFM`s to dry the cars and truck instead of my original Ranneys PakShak waffle weave.

Now have Poorboy`s Polish with sealant versus Zaino A-Aio at half the price.

Also use Tufshine to protect the tires from browning. Replaces Zaino Z-16.

Only have to reapply every six weeks or so and wash the tires(when washing the car) with a foam sponge.

No slimy stuff comes off, finish is harder more durable, so the sponge doesn`t effect the coating lifespan.

Post Thanks / Like

Marine Clerk- I`m not surprised that you like the PFM better than a WW, but your others got my attention!

How do you think the PwS compares to the ZAIO? (I like ZAIO but am running low..)

You like the Tuffshine in comparison with Z16? (Another one I`ll be replacing eventually..)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information