Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering BF deep gloss sealant

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Sounds like a great product from what I`ve read. Too bad BF doesn`t off a small sample to try on my Sapphire Blue Macan like this one.
    Heck it would be nice if they all made a 2 or 4 oz sample size for like 5-10 bucks instead of buying these big bottles that never get used up by the average person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enuff View Post
    Does this mean that, in you opinion, people with less than 80,000 post can not participate in a discussion because they are not "internet experts"? Can you please give me a list of "who knows best" so I can pay particular attention to their posts and opinions? I`m sorry if you feel I ignored you, I didn`t see any post from you regarding this subject. I agree with your first sentence, IMHO the second sentence is a smart ass comment that doesn`t add anything to the discussion.
    Jay
    i don`t think it was meant to be taken that way. I believe it was meant that some things are very subjective. What one person likes or doesn`t like, doesn`t mean it`s what`s best for you. You can gather information, but eventually you just have to try things yourself. Then you know what`s best for you. I don`t believe accumulator means any disrespect.
    Likes LashingStanley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean that, in your opinion, people with less than 80,000 post can not participate in a discussion because they are not "internet experts"? Can you please give me a list of "who knows best" so I can pay particular attention to their posts and opinions? I`m sorry if you feel I ignored you, I didn`t see any post from you regarding this subject. I agree with your first sentence, IMHO the second sentence is a smart ass comment that doesn`t add anything to the discussion.
    Jay
    Huh? I suspect I`ve been misinterpreted, which was undoubtedly due to my poorly worded post. OK, Note to Self...I`ll try to do better.

My postcount has zero to do with credibility. The implication that I would believe otherwise would a pretty serious insult to my intelligence, but I can`t imagine that`d be your intention so I must be misinterpreting too. Gee, why would *anybody* believe something like that?!?

Yes indeed, my smart-[aleck] comment, per usual, was one of those stupid things I oughta know better than to post. But I do think the general premise behind it (people oughta figure stuff out for themselves, with due consideration to their individual situations, rather than listen to anyone on the internet, myself included) is valid. I figured that, if anything, I was poking fun at guys like myself who post stuff all the time and those who might blindly/uncritically accept that stuff.

This "?layering? comes up a lot and people have posted supposedly conclusive findings that some other people accept/repeat without much consideration.

OK, here are the specifics behind why I posted that stupid [crap] about blindly believing somebody else`s views on Layering- Somebody on the internet supposedly used high-tech equipment to "prove" that Collinite 476S does NOT layer. The conclusions were presented as: facts determined, case closed, end of story. Well, not really End Of Story because others extrapolated to say that *no* waxes can really layer (though some did allow for exceptions related to Spit Shining). BUT...when I do multiple applications of 476S, and most any other wax too, and if I do it a certain way, I get *what I interpret to be* clear indications that it *does* layer for me. Is he right? Not IME. Am I right? Not in his opinion. Who knows which side of that fence others will be on, they have to figure it out for themselves to know what works/doesn`t for them in this regard. THAT`S why I got up on my high horse and pontificated like a [jerk].

I`ve posted my "how to test LSP for layering" a number of times, but not recently and I`ve never tried searching for those posts. It wasn`t anything special anyhow, just reasonable controls of salient variables, followed by observations and interpretations of my findings.

I`ll repeat my Layering Test protocols if anybody really cares.

I hope I`m correct as to this all being a misunderstanding and I apologize if I`ve given offense by being a smart-[aleck].

Post Thanks / Like

Many of us "less experience or less educated" weekender`s read the information contained on this site in hopes of gaining knowledge and insight into how all things detailing work. We put a certain amount of "stock" in what you "professionals" have to say, compare different points of view, and then go on our merry way hoping that we have learned something. We try to learn from your successes and from your mistakes(for those brave enough to post about them). We buy products that some of you recommend, within our means, and hope for the same success you`all have. Over the years I have talked with many professional detailers, including most recently Brandt, and have learned a lot about "new" products and how they work together and/or not so well together. Hopefully I have become more knowledgeable than when I started this journey many years ago. My only contribution to a forum like this revolves around my own limited experience and what works well for me in my particular set of circumstances. I don`t mind sharing that information however I realize that my experience is miniscule compared to others such as yourself. I try to abide by the saying "Do no harm". Thanks for taking the time to reply. I agree with you, the number of post does not directly affect the depth of knowledge.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    ... some things are very subjective. What one person likes or doesn`t like, doesn`t mean it`s what`s best for you.
    And that right there distills product choice down to its simplest form.

If one were to go by most popular choices as indicated in the online world, all we`d need is ONR & HD Speed.

And TopCoat F11 of course.

Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of once again being a [jerk], I *am* gonna repeat that I`m no Pro. Eh, sorry to belabor that, but I have *so much* respect for anybody who does this stuff professionally that I`m always compelled to say that. I`m simply not time-efficient enough to be a Professional Detailer and I lack the enthusiasm for Detailing that I assume Pros must have.

I agree completely about that "do no harm"! That`s a big part of why I post much of what I do/don`t advocate.

Since I`m in a self-deprecatory mood, some of my most egregious detailing mistakes include:

-Damaging paint by not knowing when to say when
    -Melting stuff with a steamer
    -Marring paint by not thinking through the basic mechanics of this stuff

AND...

-Listening to somebody else instead of figuring it out for myself, preferably ahead of time

That last one is the burr under my saddle that got me going in the first place.

I am gonna keep reminding myself that whenever I think I oughta rant about something I should just step away...Different people find different stuff helpful/not and I keep forgetting that. OK, back to the topic at hand.

Layering BF? I have limited experience with BF, but multiple applications of their Gloss Enhancing Polish did seem to provide better filling of light marring and multiple application of All Finish Paint Protection (~24 hours apart) lasted longer for me than just one, but not all that much.

I never tried topping BFAFPP with wax, but BF claimed it`d be OK and IIRC that`s part of their current Full System. It was suggested that Collinite 845 might be too high in solvents to be safe, but I can`t recall it having ever messed up anything I applied it over, not even light glazes that I suspected might be vulnerable to solvent action. But of course YMMV always applies and it`d be a shame for somebody to mess up a fresh coat of LSP by trying to improve it with such stuff (somebody here once messed up Collinite by topping it with Souveran of all things...ya just never know).

Short Version of Layering Test:

-Prep entire panel uniformly
    -LSP entire panel
    -ReLSP test portion of panel
    -ReLSP entire panel (to equalize Start Times of testing period)
    -Observe and draw conclusions; if desired, rework application method and reevaluate

I should`ve just posted that in the first place if I couldn`t stay quiet.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks Never Enuff thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator you`re not sounding like a jerk. Hearing everyone`s opinions, And how they do, or don`t do things is a good thing. I`m good with hearing debates on subjects. As long as things are civil, all is good in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Dodo juice did a layering test with a couple colored waxes on a white hood. For them it showed “proof” that more layers made it indeed darker in color compared to the previous layer.

Problem is each and every “wax” and “sealant” out there has a different make up. Well except for ones that are relabeled but that’s a whole different thread. So one may indeed have a bit too much solvent to layer very effectively. There could be a curing time factor etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have been previously told that curing time is very important if you are planning to top a sealant with a wax as I do. Is this still correct information? The specific products that I use are Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and Collinite 845.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I have been previously told that curing time is very important if you are planning to top a sealant with a wax as I do. Is this still correct information? The specific products that I use are Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and Collinite 845.
    Jay
    That`s the exact combo I used just on a fender and I couldn`t tell any improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is no improvement in the depth or gloss do you believe that there will be added protection and/or longevity?
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

If there is no improvement in the depth or gloss do you believe that there will be added protection and/or longevity?
    Jay
    I was shooting for a change in appearance for the better as I already have longevity from the sealant. Not looking for added longevity as I expect to be re-applying sealant in 4 - 6 months from now.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem seems to be that after I use that combination, I wash the truck almost weekly and after every wash I use Opti Spray Car Wax on it and then about once a month I put on PA High Gloss in it. I have no way to check the longevity of any of the products individually using this process. The High Gloss sure seems to make a difference in gloss and depth however.
    Jay
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My problem seems to be that after I use that combination, I wash the truck almost weekly and after every wash I use Opti Spray Car Wax on it and then about once a month I put on PA High Gloss in it. I have no way to check the longevity of any of the products individually using this process. The High Gloss sure seems to make a difference in gloss and depth however.
    Jay
    Exactly what I do and sometimes I wash twice a week. The Sapphire Blue doesn`t show much improvement with anything I use. Could be that I`ve always take care of it from the get go. Now on the other hand the chili red Mini always shows improvement with most products. Wash followed by a spray wax always makes the Mini pop.
    Likes Never Enuff liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning on using something like Opti SprayWax weekly or monthly as a drying aid / topper then using both BFWD and Colli 845 is overkill and really a waste. In that case I would use whichever one is easier or you like better then use your topper regularly. I’ll liked BFWD and 845 but I usually had better looks with BFWD as I found 845 to be really bright and “blingy”.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information