Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartzUK Gone After ONE Rain?

Alright I`m REALLY hoping there is something amiss here that I did wrong, but it seems my CQuartzUK coating that has cured for 4 days completely washed off in a heavy rainstorm last night.

Don`t get me wrong... this was one hell of a rain storm. But I came out this morning and every single horizontal surface looked like it was bare.

It also felt like it was bare.

No beading, literally just like the product washed completely away.

On the sides the beading is extremely evident, but on the hood and roof the product is completely gone.

My process:

1st try:

Wash
    Clay
    IronX
    Polish with M205 and a white pad
    IPA wipedown
    Applied CQuartzUK with included applicator and removed/buffed with included microfiber suede towel

The first coating had a huge amount of high spots and streaking.

2nd try:
    Polish with M205 and white pad
    IPA wipedown
    Applied CQuartzUK with included applicator and removed/buffed with regular microfiber

So is this stuff just a crap coating or did I do something wrong?

I was so hopeful after I had difficulty removing it that it would last a very long time... to say I`m disappointed is an understatement.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartzUK Gone After ONE Rain?

M205 is a notoriously oily polish--are you sure you removed all the residue? Also, heavy rainfall can bring with it a lot of atmospheric and tree gunk...I would try a wash before I concluded that the coating was gone.
    Likes Stokdgs, DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I`m positive I removed all the residue. The first time I applied it using the same method I couldn`t get the CQuartzUK off after it had cured less than 11 hours without polishing it.

So I don`t think it had anything to do with that, but I don`t know.

I would think that even if I hadn`t done a proper removal the sides would have likely washed away as well, if that indeed was the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, so maybe there is some rain gunk on the top surfaces, do you have some Reset or something else to wash it with?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I`ll wash it and see... but in my past experience even with DG105 no tree gunk or any other substance caused this.

In other words if this had been DG105 it would still be beading at least for another three weeks or so.

Post Thanks / Like

When you say the paint felt "bare"; did it feel that way right after application? I know a lot of these coatings are grabby, but I`ve never used CQuartz.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash it and see if the water behavior is returned. Sounds like there is something on the surface masking the properties.

Let me put it this way, if you could not remove the high spot with a simple IPA wipedown or a quick detailer then wouldn`t it be odd that rain would remove it?

The only thing that may be an issue is what was pointed out about not removing all the oils from M205 and CQUK not bonding.

Also CQUK is not slick to the touch. It is grabby like most coatings.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s kind of what I thought... if I had a tough time removing it the 1st time I would have expected it to last much longer.

After application I could tell a difference in the coated surface. It wasn`t "slick" perse, but I could tell there was product on there.

I am wondering if the microfiber I used the second time caused some kind of issue. That`s the only variable I can think of that was different.

But it was a new microfiber so unless the coating MUST be removed by the included suede towel it shouldn`t have been the issue.

I will say though if I have to use the suede towel I`ll likely never use this product again since the suede towel did little more than smear around the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I had this same exact issue today with 2 day old reload (from a wash on my truck just to get rid of the yellow pollen look)...it was beading this morning on my roof and hood and now it just appears to have all washed off in this thunderstorm we are having. I checked the bottle and it`s pretty old (expired). Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Not trying to derail your OP but just letting you know I thought the same exact thing about 15 minutes ago when I walked outside and then I see your thread for the UK.

To you OP the only thing I can think (logically) is that you may have removed the cqUK onto the towels OR its contaminated but that seems like a stretch considering it`s so fresh.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this is a fresh bottle just got it last week. Looks like you`re right around me, I`m in Austin so yeah the storms that hit you (and are hitting you) are hitting us as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imatk View Post
    Yeah this is a fresh bottle just got it last week. Looks like you`re right around me, I`m in Austin so yeah the storms that hit you (and are hitting you) are hitting us as well.
    Yep. I`m in Kyle. If you wanna come down this way I can help you do a decon on it sometime to see if that fixes the issue.

Brandt K.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Iamatk --

I am sorry this happened to you..

How good is your lighting that you use for applying this ? Can you see it really well when you apply it ?

Here is what came off that guy Corey`s website regarding your product ---

CarPro USA Preparation Tips:
    If contamination exists it is recommended that you Iron X and clay your vehicle before polishing.
    To gain the most from Cquartz it is recommended that your vehicle have all painted surfaces clean and polished to a high standard
    Use CarPro Reflect to achieve an incredible high gloss finish in less time with no fillers
    Use CarPro Eraser to remove all oils leftover from Reflect - This is critical to ensure durability of CQuartz
    Directions: (Use only in good ambient lighting)
    Wrap a 4" mf Suede around the grey side of applicator block
    Shake CQuartz UK
    Slowly open bottle and drag one line of product across applicator
    Spread across paint in a criss cross pattern approximately 2 sq ft at a time depending on conditions
    Buff off before surface becomes sticky or dry using a CarPro No Lint Ultra Towel 16" x 16"
    Be sure to remove all excess residue and only then do you move to next section
    Switch out applicators often - as often as 5-10 minutes in warm temperatures.
    Apply Reload before 1 hour. Wait until next day for Reload if you miss 20-60 minute window
    After Tips:
    Keep surface dry for at least one hour after application
    Wipe any water off the surface during the first 24 hours after application
    Avoid detergents and chemicals for 5-7 days after application
    If it is dry and the air is clean outside then you may park the vehicle in direct sun after application is complete to hasten cure

Precautions:
    Do not apply in direct sun or on hot surface
    Do not re-use 4" Suede applicators
    Do not re-use the towels you used to buff off with on paint
    Wear hand protection
    Avoid vapors and use suitable respiratory protection

Did you use that product called Reflect in the process ???
    They say you have to remove Reflect with Car Pro Eraser to remove all oils to insure durability of your product...

My question is - why would one put this on and then have to remove it with Eraser to "insure durability of the Coating" ???

When you say you used IPA to clean it, what exactly was the product strength and process ??

Hope you can just wash it and the product will still be there..
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Not a coating like CQUK, but I have fresh hydro-blue on my car (applied last week).

Went out this morning, and between all the pollen and whatever gunk from raining all night, the beading was pretty poor. I bet as soon as I wash it, beading will be back to normal.

I`ll swear this up and down, and I`ve noted it before, there is something in pollen that just kills beading and longevity more than simple dirt.

IMO anyway
    Likes Stokdgs, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    How good is your lighting that you use for applying this ?

Can you see it really well when you apply it ?
    Yes I have very good lighting in my garage, but after first application I realized I needed to inspect each small area before I moved on to the next... the second application went fine with no streaks.

Did you use that product called Reflect in the process ???
    No I used M205 which is a polish. I didn`t see a reason to buy an additional polish that I wasn`t familiar with to polish my paint. I`ve been using M205 for years so I know what the work times are.

They say you have to remove Reflect with Car Pro Eraser to remove all oils to insure durability of your product...

My question is - why would one put this on and then have to remove it with Eraser to "insure durability of the Coating" ???
    This is likely because their Reflect is a polish with oils like any other polish and those oils need to be removed before applying as I did for the M205

When you say you used IPA to clean it, what exactly was the product strength and process ??
    IPA is isopropyl alcohol. It was a 50/50 mixture that I`ve used for years. Although I hear Eraser is nicer smelling

Hope you can just wash it and the product will still be there..
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Me too, but I`m not holding my breath
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Not a coating like CQUK, but I have fresh hydro-blue on my car (applied last week).

Went out this morning, and between all the pollen and whatever gunk from raining all night, the beading was pretty poor. I bet as soon as I wash it, beading will be back to normal.

I`ll swear this up and down, and I`ve noted it before, there is something in pollen that just kills beading and longevity more than simple dirt.

IMO anyway
    Yeah you`re right by me too.

But here`s the thing, I`ve gone through MANY rainstorms under my oaks with DG105 and it withstands that stuff for at least three weeks. Never had it wash away like that after one night. Which leads me to believe that if the CQuartzUK is actually gone... it`s yet another product that is over-hyped and doesn`t deliver as promised.

Not exactly the first time I`ve been in this situation but it is a bummer.

The only other "coating" product I tried before this was McKee`s Wheel coating. It was fine.. but longevity again wasn`t on par with DG105. I was hoping the CQuartzUK product(and maybe other coatings) would be a new product I could use for good protection.

I spent A LOT of time reading about the various coatings on this board and elsewhere before I purchased. It`s disappointing to say the least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information