Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1

Great update!
    83* in Snotts-Dale today.

Post Thanks / Like

No wash, no nothing...hood kinda dirty, especially in middle/Overcoat section where it looked like someone was wiping something off, but what the heck. Rain created from Kwazar pump sprayer:

Recharge:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-recharge.jpg

Overcoat:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-overcoat.jpg

VS1:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-vs1.jpg

All:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-.jpg

CanCoat stripes continue in the lead...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Dustin Cropsboy, VitreousHumor, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Van hood very dirty, didn`t bother to clean before simulated `rain` from Kwazar pump sprayer:

HydroSilex Recharge:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-hydrosilex.jpg

Kamikaze Overcoat: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-kamikaze.jpg

22ple VS1:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-22ple.jpg

All:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-.jpg

General thoughts: All appear to be still beading well, HydroSilex Recharge seems to be diminished a bit on leading edge of hood. Sheeting when dirty, VS1 & Kamikaze about even, HydroSilex lagging just a bit. Cleaned hood with PB Super Slick and Suds, bucket and mitt. Sheeted some water over the sections, Kamikaze sheeted best, followed by 22ple VS1 and HydroSilex to twice as long to sheet same amount of water off. None sheeted completely cleanly, little bit of residual water on Kamikaze and 22ple, about 30% more water left on HydroSilex section after sheeting. As far as feel, Kamikaze is noticeably slicker than other 2, with 22ple in second and HydroSilex in third place. Oddly, while the Gyeon CanCoat only stripes still lead the pack in beading, sheeting and staying clean but have lost significant slickness compared to others. Almost like `lack of slickness speed bumps` when running a finger or towel over the washed, dry surface.

We got whacked with another round of intense slow, slush this week; hopefully things will start to differentiate themselves in a more clear (normal?) pattern once winter finally goes away and it`s just rain and sun as far as weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes showbbq, VitreousHumor, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to PM you for an update! Great timing.
    I am curious to know, because this is approx. a 2 month update, how long had the CanCoat been on the truck before you started the maintenance products` comparison. In other words, if the 3 maintenance products are at 2 months, what is the lifetime of the CanCoat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I was just about to PM you for an update! Great timing.
    I am curious to know, because this is approx. a 2 month update, how long had the CanCoat been on the truck before you started the maintenance products` comparison. In other words, if the 3 maintenance products are at 2 months, what is the lifetime of the CanCoat?
    Hadda go back to the first post in this thread, kinda forgot what all is going on here:

Prep: This was a vehicle I compounded/polished in November, coated with Gyeon Prime. Then added CanCoat on top of Prime. Then topped with IGL Premier. Compounded and polished the hood to remove the combo from all areas except under the tape because I thought it would be fun to leave the combo under those two strips because...well, just because.

Guessing the "Gyeon Prime/Gyeon CanCoat/IGL Premier" stripes were done mid-November 2017 (notes indicate 11/2017 application of that combo); I have been incorrectly referring to them as "CanCoat Stripes" although CanCoat is likely all that has been left exposed since the Recharge/OverCoat/VS1 application on 02/03/2018.

It`s all too confusing...red vans everywhere, some only with hoods done, some completely done, 2 not done at all...lunacy, I say, lunacy!

Supposed to get up into more seasonable weather next week, probably end of April when I`m pretty sure no more snow I`ll pull out a red Ford Ranger, compound/polish/prep the hood and roof, put down a base of McKees V2 and then split into sections of:

Gyeon Cure
    Gtechniq C2V3
    HydroSilex Recharge
    Kamikaze Overcoat
    22ple VS1 Final Coat
    IGL Premier
    Nanolex SiFinish

I think that`s all the toppers I have on the shelf. Figure 4 sections on hood, 3 on roof, horizontal tape dividing lines will be covering bare, non-coated paint, vertical tape dividing lines will be covering McKees V2 coating-only stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got some TAC Quartz Max I`d be happy to donate. Never opened the bottle. Funny, I ordered the 500 ml and they ran out of stock, so they shipped me the 1000 ML at the same price. If you want some, let me know.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I`ve got some TAC Quartz Max I`d be happy to donate. Never opened the bottle. Funny, I ordered the 500 ml and they ran out of stock, so they shipped me the 1000 ML at the same price. If you want some, let me know.
    Eeekkk...TAC Systems brings back bad memories of Moonlight. Have heard positive things about QMaxx though.

Think I might actually bump one of `em to get down to 6 and do 2 on roof, 4 on hood.

Getting a bit impatient waiting for Spring weather. AG got me with their 25% off/free shipping sale today...as did Autopia with their 15% Storewide Sale today.

*sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, did someone say 25% off / free ship? I must need something....never passed on one of them yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Eeekkk...TAC Systems brings back bad memories of Moonlight. Have heard positive things about QMaxx though.

Think I might actually bump one of `em to get down to 6 and do 2 on roof, 4 on hood.

Getting a bit impatient waiting for Spring weather. AG got me with their 25% off/free shipping sale today...as did Autopia with their 15% Storewide Sale today.

*sigh*
    Thank you for moonlight........ THank you. You saved me.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh*
    I missed what happened when you used Moonlight. Would you tell the story again please

Quarts Max I also have heard great things about. A domestic detailer did a comparison tests with these kind of toppers and QM was the overall winner.
    Likes Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh*
    My bottle of PA Cosmic Spritz finally arrived. PM me your address and I will send it to you if you want to add it to the next round of competition. Tempted?
    Likes Ronkh, Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad you can’t add Quartz Maxx and Reload as I think they are very similar. Quartzmaxx leaves significant gloss but I have no idea how long it lasts as I just spray it on kinda like a super quick detailer to amp up the shine. It mixes well with ECH20 just like Reload. Don’t knock Moonlight too badly. I used it on my wife’s car and it turned out well, no water spotting problems at all and her car sits outside 24/7. I torture test products out on her car.
    Likes SWETM, Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I missed what happened when you used Moonlight. Would you tell the story again please
    Saw it was an oil-based, SiO2 product with greater SiO2 content than other similar products. Gave it a try as stand alone on a truck hood.

Water behavior was initially very promising so I gave it go as a topper on wife`s WG Uber coated car. Totally gooned the self cleaning aspects of the coating, could never get car back to nice self cleaning behavior it had before Moonlight, now it was getting water spots all the time.

Hadda polish coating/Moonlight off of car and re-coat it. Plus side was that after that I went minimalist on personal cars, no more Sio2 `stacking` with Bathe+, WetCoat, Overcoat and such. Sometimes less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cropsboy View Post
    My bottle of PA Cosmic Spritz finally arrived. PM me your address and I will send it to you if you want to add it to the next round of competition. Tempted?
    I think I`m good with the ones I got, thanks though. Limited amount of horizontal panels on potential test vehicles and all.

Cosmic is on my list to try on personal cars this season; have been assured it plays well wirh current coating on our cars and will not diminish self cleaning aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Too bad you can’t add Quartz Maxx and Reload as I think they are very similar. Quartzmaxx leaves significant gloss but I have no idea how long it lasts as I just spray it on kinda like a super quick detailer to amp up the shine. It mixes well with ECH20 just like Reload. Don’t knock Moonlight too badly. I used it on my wife’s car and it turned out well, no water spotting problems at all and her car sits outside 24/7. I torture test products out on her car.
    Have heard Moonlight is stellar for others, just didn`t work well for me in 2 different usage scenarios. Who knows?

As mentioned, I`ve gone minimalist on the SiO2 stuff and it`s a proven path for me; comparing all these is just a curiosity driven excercise, whatever the results are will not alter my current routines.

I do sometimes wonder, given all the things I`ve tried, why Reload never made it to my shelf. Despite its popularity, it just never intrigued me enough to give it a go. Thought I remember reading that some folks had streaking issues, formulation changes at some point...can`t say for sure what reasons are but it just doesn`t generate any interest from me.
    Likes MattPersman, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add I plan to do a Reload and Recharge comparison within the next few weeks. I`m in the Fire department and we have a few cars to train with next week so after we have our fun I plan to get a hood or any panel really and do a quick one step and split the hood. His will be my first test panel so any recommendations are welcomed. Here in Hawaii I just plan to test it against the sun for now. I figure this will benefit most of you since summer is on its way. I definitely want a naked panel so their are no character confusion with product behavior so I`m looking to wash,decon,clay,and just a quick 205 one step (depending how bad the panel is) ipa, then apply 1 coat each via dry application and leave the panel out in the elements 24/7, again any recommendations are welcomed but that`s the plan so far. Thanks for doing the other topper!
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add that you guys are awsome! I`m really enjoying the Forum
    Likes Tc99m, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information