Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1

Finally, rain.

To be honest, none look that impressive. Opened the hood and lifted it vertical, all ran off (or more truthfully, failed to run off much) equally.

Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-rain.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SWETM, nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks Rblouin thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So, after a month, they loosely bead but not shed/sheet/self-clean with no coating underneath?

Post Thanks / Like

Appears that way. Will have to put a hose on it for a flood rinse to see how they sheet. And drive it a bit. Supposed to rain the next 2 days, well see what happens.

Even the Prime + CanCoat stripes didn`t really stand out.

Post Thanks / Like

Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-image.jpegSorry for the delay guys been a little busy. I also apologize that these are the only 2 pics I could pull off since its been very stormy in Hawaii lately. My wife`s SUV has a System X Diamond coating applied in September and I have been using Reload for a booster every 2 months. it`s been over 2 months since Reload and I decided to wash and apply 2 coats of Recharge via the dry method. I`m a fan of using a microfiber application pad and following up with a microfiber towel. I pretty much have the same reviews as far as easy on easy off product, no streaking issues (of course the suv is white though). Definitely not milky consistency as reload is and is definitely a watery product. The shine and smoothness of the panels are decent, I feel reload has a leg up. Overall for the application and water beading there`s definitely no wow factor for me and I`m guessing it`s not going to be as durable than reload but that`s just my opinion. So far for $10 it`s worth it but I`m not sure I can spend $35+ dollars. For me durability is key but I`ll just have to wait and see
    Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sheeting, kinda anyway.

https://youtu.be/fVoR1Tf5jx4

Once I get some time, gonna prep/polish a Ford Ranger Hood, coat it with McKees V2, break it into sections and top with:

HydroSilex Recharge
    Kamikaze Overcoat
    22ple VS1 Final Coat
    IGL Premier
    Gtechniq Liquid Crystal C2V3
    Gyeon Cure

After Polish/Prep gonna tape the horizontal sections off before applying McKees V2, then continue to tape the vertical sections off after coating.

Hopefully that`ll give an indication of bare paint, coated-only paint (both under the horizontal, vertical tape lines, respectively) and the boosters performance on top of McKees V2.

Don`t suppose using McKees 914 at a stronger dilution than 1:128 as a waterless wash would affect and of the current 3 items, do ya? I kinda eyeball it went making it in a 16oz bottle. Kinda hard to measure out 0.1 oz to get the 1:128 ratio. I suck at math, though. Am I even close on the mixing of the McKees?
    Likes Ronkh, rlmccarty2000, SWETM, nickclark08 liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, Rblouin thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the hood just needs a wash? Then test it again?
    I can`t believe your kami OC and 22ple VS1 FC did not get past 4 weeks.
    Likes Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Maybe the hood just needs a wash? Then test it again?
    I can`t believe your kami OC and 22ple VS1 FC did not get past 4 weeks.
    Yeah, maybe give the hood a bucket wash tomorrow (if we don`t get the 10 to 13" of snow they`re calling for tonite) and see whats up. Even the Prime + Cancoat lines were virtually indistinguishable. Weird. Truck really hasn`t had that many miles on it and weather here has been somewhat mild.

Who knows, maybe these things just don`t like not being on top of a coating...we`ll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahem... It`s 0.125 ounces.... haha

Honestly, if an extra splash of 914 concentrate is enough to make a difference in durability for toppers, probably not the toppers you want to use. What I mean to say is that I don`t think the mix strength of 914 is having an effect one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Sheeting, kinda anyway.

https://youtu.be/fVoR1Tf5jx4

Once I get some time, gonna prep/polish a Ford Ranger Hood, coat it with McKees V2, break it into sections and top with:

HydroSilex Recharge
    Kamikaze Overcoat
    22ple VS1 Final Coat
    IGL Premier
    Gtechniq Liquid Crystal C2V3
    Gyeon Cure

After Polish/Prep gonna tape the horizontal sections off before applying McKees V2, then continue to tape the vertical sections off after coating.

Hopefully that`ll give an indication of bare paint, coated-only paint (both under the horizontal, vertical tape lines, respectively) and the boosters performance on top of McKees V2.

Don`t suppose using McKees 914 at a stronger dilution than 1:128 as a waterless wash would affect and of the current 3 items, do ya? I kinda eyeball it went making it in a 16oz bottle. Kinda hard to measure out 0.1 oz to get the 1:128 ratio. I suck at math, though. Am I even close on the mixing of the McKees?
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rinselss w/ McKees 914

Sprayed down with water with Kwazar Pump Sprayer

HydroSilex Recharge:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-recharge.jpg

Kamikaze Overcoat:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-kami.jpg

22ple VS1:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-vs1.jpg

CanCoat Divider Stripe:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-cancoat.jpg

When I sprayed lightly, as in a light rain, all had nice, tight little beads. As I doused with more water the definition of the beads deteriorated.

Grabbed roughly a pint of water, sheeted it over top of each section. VS1 barely edged out Overcoat in speed of water sheeting off panel, Recharge was a distant third. Poured 2 pints of water from cowl over entire hood, Overcoat and VS1 about equal, Recharge took twice as long (Kami and VS1 had sheeted off, Recharge was only half way down panel). VS1 and Overcoat sheeted cleaner, leaving less residual water on hood.

As I was walking back into offive I wandered past Van 15: Gtechniq CSL + C2v3 applied 02/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + Kamikaze Overcoat refresh 10/2017. Since then, no wash or maintenance aside from Mother Nature, snapped below pic:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-csl.jpg

Somewhere I have a van around here I did 22ple HPC + Finitura + 22ple VS1 in 12/2017 on half the hood; when I see it tomorrow I`ll spray it down without washing and see what happens.
    Likes Ronkh, glfnaz, SWETM, nickclark08, MattPersman liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, SWETM, nickclark08, Rblouin, MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative. My only question is I`m having a hard time with the picture that shows the CanCoat stripe. Is it a nicer bead than Kami O C and 22PLE FC, or is it just similar? Van #15 looks good, which tells me these maintenance products work best -- as intended -- over a coating. Do you agree?
    Thanks for doing this!
    Likes MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Very informative. My only question is I`m having a hard time with the picture that shows the CanCoat stripe. Is it a nicer bead than Kami O C and 22PLE FC, or is it just similar? Van #15 looks good, which tells me these maintenance products work best -- as intended -- over a coating. Do you agree?
    Thanks for doing this!
    Well, it`s certainly raising many questions in my mind, warranted or not.

The CanCoat strip does maintain the tighter beads than any of the others, no doubt about that. I`ll have to watch those stripes when I flood some water again to see if they both bead AND sheet better. Dunno if I`ll be able to discern that ( or explain just what the *^%$@ I`m doing now to puzzled coworkers) but I`ll definitely try.

If they (CanCoat stripes) do sheet AND bead better, well, uh...toss all boosters and just top with CanCoat every 6 to 8 weeks? While it is more of a coating as opposed to a booster, cost wise it`s not too far removed, cheaper in some cases (although perhaps not on a cost per use basis). Still...

And maybe we need to put more focus on sheeting as opposed strictly nice beads. I personally prefer sheeting to beading if I had to pick just one. Recharge was significantly lagging in that area and such a large difference indicates `something`, no?

I`d like to also see what happens during a Spring rainstorm, not so much as to see the water behavior during the rain but rather to see what`s left after the sun comes out. Water spotting was one of the things I didn`t like about TAC Moonlight. It had great water behavior but seemed to be prone to dirty water spots when left to dry.

This stuff will make ya crazy...perhaps some ignorance truly is bliss. Maybe it was better when I merely thought "I use this, this and that and I think it`s great!" and didn`t worry about the sticky details of a better possibility.

As for Van 15, maybe the Overcoat is gone and it`s the now exposed CanCoat that was underneath it producing those nice beads. Oops.
    Likes Ronkh, SWETM, MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback for sure. Got to get me some more CanCoat I think. I`ll use the 22PLE FC after washes as I have plenty, but I`m going to top with CanCoat every 3 months. It`s a stunning product that beads like crazy. And since I don`t get your rain / sludge / snow / salt out here in AZ, it just makes sense. CanCoat 4 times per year, 2 years for $40 (on sale)---too easy. All this clinical evaluation stuff is just sh*ts and giggles anyway. But it does keep me out of the girly bars.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Rblouin, MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love all you do and test for us BudgetPlan1---Im gonna have to def pick up some Cancoat and maybe alternate and compare with the Overcoat I have to see any diff I can see!
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX
    Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

If they (CanCoat stripes) do sheet AND bead better, well, uh...toss all boosters and just top with CanCoat every 6 to 8 weeks? While it is more of a coating as opposed to a booster, cost wise it`s not too far removed, cheaper in some cases (although perhaps not on a cost per use basis). Still...

Or that eBay "super hydrofobowa" 9HMR-FIX, lol.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Little bit slow this morning, another snow `event` rolled/rolling thru the area. Why not take another gander at this hood? First, waterless with 914...could still see a film on surface. Waterless with ONR, could still see film on surface. Grab bucket, wash mitt, PB Super Soak and Suds...about 1oz in a gallon of hot water, rinse and wash hood, flood rinse and dry. No more film on surface. Get out Kwazar Pump sprayer full of water, simulated rain (which, again, makes me look like a little bit of an idiot standing on ladder spraying even further up in the air so drops fall down upon hood in most natural way I can think of).

Recharge Beading:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-recharge_bead.jpg

Kamikaze Overcoat Beading:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-kami_bead.jpg

22ple VS1 Final Coat Beading:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-vs1_bead.jpg

CanCoat Divider Line Beading (Dividing line just beneath windshield washer nozzle on cowl):Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-cancoat.jpg

Flood rinse hood

Recharge sheeting:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-recharge_sheet.jpg

Kamikaze Overcoat sheeting:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-kami_sheet.jpg

22ple VS1 Final Coat sheeting:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-vs1_sheet.jpg

Slickness to touch (dry, after wash, beading and sheeting):
    1. Kamikaze, 22ple
    3. HydroSilex

Sheeting speed:
    1. Kamikaze and 22ple
    2. Recharge

Sheeting completeness, least water left:
    1. Kamikaze Overcoat
    2. 22ple VS1
    3. HydroSilex Recharge
    * Hard to really compare as Kami is on center, entirely flat part of hood, Recharge & VS1 have that contour line that could disrupt (or enhance...I dunno) clean sheeting.

Takeaway from today: Will be washing with PB Super Slick and Suds going forward; I must be inept in the waterless washing cuz it wouldn`t come clean today user proper dilution+ in the mixing.

Was gonna stay home today but then I remembered that many might be interested in this totally un-scientific, half-baked, ever-changing-variables and who knows what we`ll really get out of it testing...so I risked all just to update this thread. Ok, maybe it was more not wanting Mother Nature to determine when I was gonna burn a vacation day but the former sounds much more, uh, dedicated?

Yay Cleveland; always nice when a salt truck barrels by and it sounds like someone is throwing BB`s at your car: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-winter.jpg

And my parents met in SanDiego back in early 1960`s and then proceeded to MOVE TO CLEVELAND ON PURPOSE! Oh, what coulda been...
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information