Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    That`s correct...you are to blame!

Overcoat begat Miyabi
    Miyabi begat ISM
    ISM begat Infinity Wax
    Kamikaze as a whole begat a search for something better which begat the whole coating madness to find something better which begat me right back where I started...Kamikaze.

It`s all come full circle. Fortunately, your extensive use of Polish Angel would make me venturing down that path redundant!

Dodged that bullet.

Was that originally on the Corvette Forum where you suggested Overcoat?
    yep
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    yep
    Well, I`ve met a bunch of cool people, learned a ton and my cars have never looked better and been easier to keep clean so thank you my friend, great original suggestion that led down an incredibly entertaining path.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I`ve met a bunch of cool people, learned a ton and my cars have never looked better and been easier to keep clean so thank you my friend, great original suggestion that led down an incredibly entertaining path.
    YOu have taught us all some "YUGE" lesons.

THank you
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Budget! This is real entertainment...well at least to enthusiasts.

It would be mighty interesting to see how these toppers hold up to some additional real world variables/torture tests since we all probably detail our cars way too often. Washing with a microfiber mitt, different car soaps, clay bar, pressure washing, etc. Don`t forget to test etching by sprinkling some bug guts and bird poo. Better do another hood with all the ceramic coatings too for comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Well done Budget! This is real entertainment...well at least to enthusiasts.
    It does give me another reason to look forward to going to work.

It would be mighty interesting to see how these toppers hold up to some additional real world variables/torture tests since we all probably detail our cars way too often. Washing with a microfiber mitt, different car soaps, clay bar, pressure washing, etc.
    User glfnaz set the cleaning parameters which are limited to quick Rinseless with 914 no more than once a week. Other than that, I may throw a bucket of water at the hood when I walk by just for entertainments sake but that`ll be about it maint-wise.

Don`t forget to test etching by sprinkling some bug guts and bird poo.
    lol...that`ll take care of itself once the pool season starts around mid-April and these trucks start seeing some serious use. In addition normal environmental contamination (and the guys who drive them sure have a talent for getting odd stuff on their trucks; if there`s a dodo bird left in the world, these guys will find a way to get it to crap on their hood), every day is a chance to get splashed with liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, granular chlorine, caustic cleaning liquids, PVC glue/primer, pool paint and a myriad of other products that should have a skull & crossbones warning on the label.

Better do another hood with all the ceramic coatings too for comparison.
    Funny guy...

No need though, actually. The parking lot at work is a collection of rolling test panels, both fleet vehicles and co workers cars. Varying levels of maintenance/upkeep on all...

Van 9: Cquartz & Gyeon Cure applied 01/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + IGL Premier refresh 10/2017.

Van 10: Gloss Shop Ceramic V1 applied 03/2017

Van 11: 22ple HPC + VS1 Final Coat applied March 2017

Van 15: Gtechniq CSL + C2v3 applied 02/2017; wash, decon, CanCoat + Kamikaze Overcoat refresh 10/2017.

Van 17: Gyeon Prime + CanCoat + IGL Premier applied 11/2017

Van 18 Hood: IGL Quartz + Premier (passenger side) and 22ple HPC + Finitura + VS1 Final Coat (driver side) applied 12/2017

Ranger 6: Gyeon Mohs + Cure applied 02/2017; wash, decon Gyeon CanCoat refresh 10/2017.

Ranger 7: Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating V2 applied 10/2017.

Ranger 9: Pearl Nano applied 03/2017.

Black Honda CR-V: 22ple HPC + VS1 applied April 2017.

White 2017 Ford F150: Gyeon Mohs + Gyeon Booster applied 11/2017.

Crystal Red 2017 Ford Explorer: 22ple HPC + Finitura applied 11/2017.

Black Ford Focus: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017; CanCoat refresh 11/2017.

Black Ford Focus: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Overcoat applied 10/2017.

Mint Green Toyota Camry: Gyeon Prime + Cure applied April 2017.

Aegean Blue 2016 Honda Civic: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 10/2016.

Black 2017 Honda Accord: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat applied 9/2017

Van 13: 2018 Race Red Ford Transit 250
    Body: Gyeon Syncro (Mohs x 2, Skin x 1) applied 01/26/2018
    Roof: McKees Paint Coating V2 applied 01/26/2018

Van 3: 2017 Race Red Ford Transit 250
    Body: Feynlab Ceramic + Topcoat
    Roof: Gyeon Syncro, applied 02/02/2018

Van 1: 2017 Race Red Ford Transit 250
    Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1, Infinity Wax x 1, Overcoat x 1, applied 02/07/2018

Lunar Silver 2018 Honda HR-V
    Gyeon Primer + Gyeon One + Gyeon CanCoat, applied 02/09/2018
    Likes glfnaz, showbbq, Ronkh, SWETM, Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good test. I think the "recharge" segment is filled with a ton of hype that amounts to stuff the is barely equivalent to a budget "spray wax." More over if a coating is so awesome and durable, why in the world does it need a recharge?

Would be interesting to see how some of these compare to Megs Ultimate Fast Finish, a lowly $12 product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Good test. I think the "recharge" segment is filled with a ton of hype that amounts to stuff the is barely equivalent to a budget "spray wax." More over if a coating is so awesome and durable, why in the world does it need a recharge?

Would be interesting to see how some of these compare to Megs Ultimate Fast Finish, a lowly $12 product.
    At first i was pretty sure Recharge was the next Topcoat F11 but Phil @ Detailers Domain was positive about it and actually added it to his product offerings. Pretty well respected and stand up guy from my experiences and heck, I`ll try anything for $10, albeit not on one of my cars.

As for the other Booster/Topper products, I do like some of them. Dunno the chemistry behind them but some offer aspects that a base coating lacks, most notably in the feel and hydrophobic areas. Whether they could engineer that into the base coating I don`t know.

The line between coatings and complimentary coating products is quickly blurring though; many are now being touted as Stand Alone Sealants, likening them more the Spray Waxes as you mention above with, of course, higher price points.

The way I look at it for my own cars is that it offers a little more to my base coating, and whether that`s a truly functional aspect or merely an aesthetically pleasing one, I`m ok with that. It makes me smile and in my own personal use of Overcoat, makes the task of drying after a wash much less arduous...and it certainly can`t hurt.

To be honest, even though I`m a admitted coating junkie, I do often question the practicality of anything over a 1 year/15k mile coating for a daily driver that you care about being all scratched up. Careful as I am, daily driving a black car is a recipe for installing scratches and blemishes and having a coated car makes that more difficult to address each Spring. Sometimes I ponder ditching the `true coating` and just polishing and CanCoating the vehicle as needed.

Right now, though, just having too much fun messing around with this stuff. Eventually I`ll likely get tired of it, look back at all I`ve learned from it and end up taking the path of least resistance with regards to paint protection, vehicle usage and maintenance to achieve the appearance I desire. Will be interesting to see how it turns out when I reach that point.
    Thanks glfnaz, MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of that. We have 4 daily drivers in our family. I use Coatings and coating maintenance products because they are easier to clean and look great. But as daily drivers I can`t obsess about it. As an outside sales guy I put on 30k miles + a year. If I didn`t have so much extra coating around, I`d go CanCoat once a quarter (20 minutes) and use one of my many coating topper products once every wash. If I could afford a sweet garage queen like Ronhk, then I`d coat and obsess about it. So for me it`s just a fun hobby.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Rblouin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I agree with all of that. We have 4 daily drivers in our family. I use Coatings and coating maintenance products because they are easier to clean and look great. But as daily drivers I can`t obsess about it. As an outside sales guy I put on 30k miles + a year. If I didn`t have so much extra coating around, I`d go CanCoat once a quarter (20 minutes) and use one of my many coating topper products once every wash. If I could afford a sweet garage queen like Ronhk, then I`d coat and obsess about it. So for me it`s just a fun hobby.
    Had I not gotten sick, it wouldn`t have been a queen......
    Likes BudgetPlan1, glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If Recharge proves worthy and meets or exceeds my beloved Overcoat it`s very likely I will never be heard from again. The shame and mental trauma might put me off nice looking cars forever. Back to budget 4 door sedans that I store stuff on top of. There is something to be said for the "Beater Lifestyle".

22ple VS1 matching or exceeding it would be OK...I think. I`d not used it extensively before but am quite taken by it`s initial performance.
    Likes Ronkh, glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If Recharge proves worthy and meets or exceeds my beloved Overcoat it`s very likely I will never be heard from again. .
    Wasn`t topcoat supposed to do that ?!?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Wasn`t topcoat supposed to do that ?!?!?!?
    Even I have my limits on what I`ll take a `flyer` on. Topcoat F11 exceeded those limits...just barely. Curiosity can be a dangerous thing...

The TAC Moonlight experience is still fresh in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Even I have my limits on what I`ll take a `flyer` on. Topcoat F11 exceeded those limits...just barely. Curiosity can be a dangerous thing...

Im still using Moonlight on my wife’s car. I’d compare it to a good sealant. Of course I’m topping it with QuartzMax which is my favorite topper. I did buy some of TAC Systems Top Coat but I haven’t had time to play with it yet. I imagine it is like Gliss since the CarPro and TAC Systems line is so similar. Check out TAC Systems new products, they have a waterless wash with Si02 now.
    Thanks Rblouin thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that was my fault too. Thanks for taking one for the team on that........
    Likes Tc99m, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So, back to work today after sitting around doing pretty much nothing for the last week. Lotsa things piled up on my desk, many e-mails that I ignored last week but, really, I needed to take care of the *really* important stuff first.

Dunno how many miles were put on last week, hood looked pretty clean and we did have a lot of rain last week so, eh...things still look pretty much the same. Sprayed it down hood with 17oz of water from Kwazar spray bottle. All sections pretty much looked the same but the Overcoat & VS1 sections left a much cleaner/dryer spot when I shot some compressed air at the beads of each section, water didn`t seem as willing to move about on the Recharge section when hit with air.

Recharge:Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-recharge.jpg

Overcoat: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-overcoat.jpg

VS1 Final Coat: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-vs1.jpg

And the Prime/CanCoat sections/stripes are still better than any of them: Recharge v Overcoat v VS1-cancoat.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Dustin Cropsboy, VitreousHumor liked this post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information