Post Thanks / Like

Vapor Rino 145psi 120v Dry Vapor Cleaner

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I have been kicking around purchasing a Dry Vapor Cleaner for several reasons. Probably the biggest reason is so I can continue to fully detail cars in the winter in my garage. Although it is heated with water, I hate to be using the hose in there and getting water all over, hence the dry vapor. Second, I can use it for other household chores. I`ve been researching many brands and models, and was even researching the wet steam models. In any event, I have settled on (if I do decide to purchase) the Vapor Rino 145 psi Dry Vapor Cleaner.

I was originally tossed up between the wet steam and dry steam, but I think for my purposes, the dry steam would be better. With that being said, is anyone using larger dry steam unit to do full details? If so, what are your thoughts? Also, before pulling the trigger on something like this, do you think it is effective enough to do complete details?

Thanks!
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vapor Rino 145psi 120v Dry Vapor Cleaner

Are you talking about using this for the exterior of vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Are you talking about using this for the exterior of vehicles?
    Yes, for interior and exterior.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

That is not for dirty exteriors in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

i would also look at the vapor chief 125 steamer

Post Thanks / Like

Just pulled the trigger on their 230 volt machine with carpet extraction kit (~$3K). We’ll see how it goes. Hoping with the chemical injection system it will help me clean the cosmoline from the undersides of the Porsches I work on?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Hoping with the chemical injection system it will help me clean the cosmoline from the undersides of the Porsches I work on?
    I found that steam compromises that oe rustproofing wax in weird ways and I finally quit doing it that way in favor of countless hours spent carefully using a solvent.

When you heat the stuff up, be sure to *NOT* heat what you want to leave on, if you do heat it up too much it`ll go all "milky" and look terrible (besides probably not protecting as well, didn`t seem to adhere as well and looked like it might`ve been subject to "pocketing" that wasn`t there before).

Not nay-saying or flaming the Steamer, just commenting as I`ve spent a lot of time under German cars working to clean that stuff up without compromising/fully removing it. Very challenging, depending on how nice it`s gotta be and/or whether it`ll still be exposed to salt/etc. especially when cleaning up years worth of mess that`s permeated the stuff.

Curious what chemicals you`d use with its injection for this kind of thing.

I`ve toyed with the idea of one of those too (probably the 120v so I could use it in the house too), that extraction hookup *is* kinda intriguing!

Post Thanks / Like

These are mostly super rare Porsches where we are actually trying to remove the cosmline to return them to true factory specs. We’ve spent over 100 hours cleaning the undersides of some cars with special solvents and brushes. My client (up to recently) has been shipping his cars to Belgium to have them dry ice blasted for $35,000. Keeping my fingers crossed that chemical & steam will save some time.

Post Thanks / Like

These are mostly super rare Porsches where we are actually trying to remove the cosmline to return them to true factory specs..
    Ah, you`ve piqued my interest! I thought the oem-applied stuff *was* the true factory specs. My German cars always had that in some places straight from the factory...trying to remember the Porsches specifically, but eh...that was a *long* time ago and I wasn`t so undercarriage-fanatical back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the specialty cars (993 GT2, 964 TSL, 964 RS, 993 TS, 968TS, GT1, 959, 924 GTS, RUF, etc) are pretty stripped down and shouldn’t have that heavy, thick oily coating. Some (especially the ones from Japan) had it slathered on thick at dealers. All over the suspension, engine and trans. A complete mess and we end up removing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the specialty cars...shouldn’t have that heavy, thick oily coating..
    Ah, OK...what I know about Porsches would fit on the head of a pin and none of mine were in that "specialty" category.
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

These are mostly super rare Porsches where we are actually trying to remove the cosmline to return them to true factory specs. We’ve spent over 100 hours cleaning the undersides of some cars with special solvents and brushes. My client (up to recently) has been shipping his cars to Belgium to have them dry ice blasted for $35,000. Keeping my fingers crossed that chemical & steam will save some time.
    David: You do realize that there is a company in Peshtigo WI that specializes in this type of cleaning? It is mostly for industrial purposes, though.
    Precision Iceblast Corp.
    801 Maple Street
    Peshtigo WI 54157
    1-906-ICE-BLAST
    GB detailer
    Likes David Fermani liked this post
    Thanks David Fermani thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There’s companies all over the country that dry ice blast cars, but the place that my client send his cars to specializes in Porsche’s.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s companies all over the country that dry ice blast cars, but the place that my client send his cars to specializes in Porsche’s.
    Now I understand! Thanks, Dave.
    I still must commend your for posting your photo expose on Abandoned Car Washes in the City of Detroit. I still cannot get over the images posted in this excellent thread from March of 2014. Makes me wonder how this could happen in a modern Midwest city in American, until I saw it first-hand for myself about 2-1/2 years ago. For those interested, please see:
    Detroit Abandoned Car Wash & Detail Shop Pics!!!!=
    GB detailer

Thread Information