Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Traffic Film Remover - Not a consumer Item

blast from the past. Have not looked at AI in forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Ahh....its all coming back to me. I did say I don`t remember winter washing. It`s like I mentally block it every year.

As a benchmark on HP Rinse and what remains, the easy baseline would be even the glass. It`s still cloudy even after 2 HP thorough rinses.
    A quick wipe with the wipers and all good. That mechanical agitation is what I`m trying to avoid, if possible.
    Test a citrus based degreaser and see what it does. A solvent based tar degreaser I would not use higher up than to the windows begins. But think a good cleaning with a glass cleaner is the best way to go. Spray on mf towel to control overspray. And maybe look into a good window coating that makes them easier to clean.

I have a opinion that them who is useing undiluted washer fluid accually destroys the rust protection and the paint. That leads to rust from inside the water drain chanels that runs thrue from the a-pillars to the bottom of the car vertical. And if it is on the backwindow where it runs down after wiped of with the wipers. Often is washer fluid based on ipa or ethanol I think and if used wrong I don`t think it`s good in the long run. You can see those who use solvent based tar degreaser over the sidewindows and it`s starting to rust from inside of the doors. My stepfather bought a used car that I suspect they have done this to. It`s the car on the pictures and is a Ford Focus 2011. I can show you pics from the back and it`s already rusted and follow the lines where the washer fluid runs down. And even the rubber gets streaking on the sidewindows and runs down the paint. I don`t get it to stop how much I clean it. A little rain and then it`s beginning to run down the car again. Someone with a RV who has had this problem with rubber seals and what you do to stop it is very welcome to help me out. Post pictures of it a little later.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is good reason WHY traffic film removers (TFRs) are NOT a consumer-base product; consumers are not washing their vehicles in the winter outside. (unless its me in Wisconsin doing it during our January thaw, like yesterday when it was 48°F) Salt-removal and its associated liquid-binder(s) as the main source of traffic film are the domain of commercial car washes in the winter and car-wash chemicals designed for traffic film removal are in that same domain: commercial car washes, whether touch-less or brush.

I know that there are three car-wash chemical companies in my local area (DePere, WI): Lustra (Cleaning Systems, Inc), Blue Daulphin, & R.Lewis Technologies and for good reason. There are two major commercial car wash companies in the same area: PDQ Manufacturing and WashWorld, Inc. Most of them are spin-offs from PDQ Manufacturing. R.Lewis Technologies is owned and run by "Red" Lewis, who was the inventor of automated touch-less car washes and started PDQ Manufacturing. He sold this business, but developed his own car-care chemical company and chemical product blending/mixer equipment.
    My point is that consumer-based car washes and chemicals for them that we Autopians are used to using, even using power washers, is NOT the same as those used in a commercial car wash. That said, I would think that car cleaning chemicals developed for commercial car-washes MIGHT have a cross-over application for power washers and until someone here obtains some and tries it , we Autopians do not know if it is feasible as such. I go back then to my original statement: how many consumers (Autopians) in winter-climate areas where salt and binders are used clean their own cars in the winter, whether outside or in a heated garage?
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

This product looks interesting. Salt-X = The best salt and salt corrosion fighter!
    plus it says no scrubbing required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I go back then to my original statement: how many consumers (Autopians) in winter-climate areas where salt and binders are used clean their own cars in the winter, whether outside or in a heated garage?
    See, I just find that surprising! I`ve been pretty nuts about doing it since forever...my Mother`s utterly wonderful `69 Charger R/T rusted away inthe early `70s because she and her sister drove it in the winter without getting all the salt washed away (they were otherwise incredibly good about the Detailing stuff, let alone for women back then) and I never wanted that to happen to one of mine. (Heh heh, my Father traded his in too frequently for his relative neglect to bite him.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    This product looks interesting..
    I wonder...it says it "lifts the salt so it can be rinsed away" but then it says it gets into nooks and crannies and "kills it". Two very different things to me...no no, not flaming, just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

how many consumers (Autopians) in winter-climate areas where salt and binders are used clean their own cars in the winter, whether outside or in a heated garage?
    I wash all year round. I just make sure I wash early enough that there is enough time for the sun or dry winter air to dry the pad so that it`s not a ice skating rink the following morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie -

In all honesty, I know there is a lot of ju ju sauce going on with touchless washes. Combo of lo-high ph chems, specific dwell times, specific dwell times, then pressure jets to get all that much off after the chemical peel if you want to call it that. One can only wonder or wish to some degree one can acheive it @ home in a consumer or in this case, a prosumer environment ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    This product looks interesting. Salt-X = The best salt and salt corrosion fighter!
    plus it says no scrubbing required.

I`ve used saltX in the past. Its ok but I much prefer Whip`s Wax. We will see if the ProGard wash works well - its being delivered Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

This is pics of the same car and the same wash I uploaded before. So before pic 1 and foam pic 2 and after foam clean rinsed pic 3 and the 4th pic after tar degreaser and before touching the paint.

You can see the rust and paint chips a little bit over and to each side of the number plate. And the wiper end turns where the window fluid runs down. Even at the lowest edge of the trunk lid is a rust line. This happens before the car was 4 years old. And since I have started to take care of the last year it`s stopped spreading slower I think.

Here I try to translate from the sds document of a touchless wash that is available to the consumer in Sweden. And what I have seen so far on swedish forums it`s impresive. We can accually get wash chemicals that is used in car brush washes and touchless car washes. I think those is even to strong for me to use LOL. And I think you have noticed that I use more chemicals when washing than you are used to see. But as I have said before it`s a common way to prewash like this here. And if you want to test it out. Get a citrus based degreaser like Angelwax Cleanliness and a tar remover and either wash after or foam a car soap on and rinse. The best results you get with a pressure wash.
    But you can go to a coin op and have pressure spray bottles or and spray bottles with chemicals ready to use. If you do it this way start with apply the tar remover first. Apply it to the side and back of the car and from the bottom up to a bit before where the windows begins. And when it has dwelled after recommended time from the manufacture and you don`t let it dry. You apply the citrus degreaser over it and to the whole car and let that dwell as recommended. Then PW it of with start from the bottom and work your way up and use the water pressure from the PW as it`s your wash mitt. Rinse the car well after this to get it of. Do your wheels if needed to if the citrus degreaser didn`t cleaned it. The tar degreaser you can use on the wheels if needed. But not in the wheel wells!
    Now you finish with apply the the car soap and let it dwell for a couple of minutes and rinse it of. Start your engine and drive off And if you have a good sheeting lsp the water rolls of. Or if you have a cordless leafblower to dry it. Not touching the paint with a drying towel as it`s not clean enough. If possible and if you want to rinseless or waterless wash it at the coin op or when you come home.

Chemicals in the prewash and touchless wash from the product Mafra Mangusta. It`s a Italy based company.
    From the msds

Etidronic acid <5%
    Ethoxy alcohol <5%
    EDTA <5%
    Sodium hydroxide <5%
    Nitrilotriacetic acid <5%
    2-Butoxyethanol <2%
    Potassium hydroxide <2%

When used in the foamcannon the dilution is about 1:9 and max chemical from it. From a spray bottle a dilution about 1:50. You can only buy it in 5 gallon size. There is some harsh chemicals in that lol

Skickat från min SM-T585 via Tapatalk
    Likes GearHead_1, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the old thread reboot, not sure how I missed this the first time around.

What is the consensus on TFR in the US? We don’t get it because it’s too strong?

TFR sounds like a great product for winter detailing. I wonder why CG with all their various soaps doesn’t sell something to remove traffic film?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Sorry for the old thread reboot, not sure how I missed this the first time around.

What is the consensus on TFR in the US? We don’t get it because it’s too strong?

TFR sounds like a great product for winter detailing. I wonder why CG with all their various soaps doesn’t sell something to remove traffic film?
    All spot on with the 1Z/Nextzett products. W99 is an amazing surface prepper. Tardis is amazing stuff but extremely hard to get, I need to find a US disty.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

AutoGeek does, indeed, have 1Z/Nextzett W99 at $20.00 for a Liter (33.8 fl oz)of it. Note the vehicle cleaning tasks with recommended dilution ratios it does.
    https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett...l-cleaner.html
    GB detailer
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham (kinda MIA here for the most part), was kind enough to show up on a recent thread where we were discussing this kind of thing. The ValuGard product is only sold in 5 gallon buckets...

I`m still just counting my lucky stars that I don`t have some of the issues that are plaguing my fellow Autopians.

Post Thanks / Like

AutoGeek does, indeed, have 1Z/Nextzett W99 at $20.00 for a Liter (33.8 fl oz)of it. Note the vehicle cleaning tasks with recommended dilution ratios it does.
    https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett...l-cleaner.html
    Ya’ know,I forgot all about that W99. I may even have some that I bought years ago.

Thanks for bringing that up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information