Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Traffic Film Remover - Not a consumer Item

so.......what`s in a traffic film remover product. A high alkaline product that is not in consumer format as it`s just not consumer friendly/safe ? Granted, I`m sure the the stuff that is for volume car wash places are much caustic in formulation, but any rhyme or reason we don`t see any available easily retail for the consumer. EPA, VOC laws, etc ? Just thinking outloud I suppose, etc about touchless washes and all......The intent or goal is not often, but there are times, like now, in sandy/salty seasons, where going touchless with a slightly, harsher wash would be be nice, IMO - LSP, being a different diatribe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Traffic Film Remover - Not a consumer Item

I think we have had multiple board discussions about Traffic Film remover on a more consumer level and if I remember correctly (I could be dead wrong) it’s because of the EPA. If you want an alkaline cleaner, NexZett makes their Industrie-Reiniger Industrial Cleaner W99. You can find it on AG and I think ACC.

*Sorry about the font trouble everybody, AF and my phone are not playing well, together.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I do use that as a pre-spray for the pre wash
    A huge staple of my detailing regimine is 1Z
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it`s just Nanny State [crap], Uncle Sam watching out for ignorant ol` us.

After using (the apparently no longer sold) FK1119 I can`t imagine any kind of Traffic Film Remover being nastier than that.

I dunno about the spec that it`s "high alkaline" though...highly alkaline stuff isn`t always friendly to various materials. Anything moreso than, say...ValuGard`s "A" and I`d be leery.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to try it at least...ya know. Something that is potent enough that does not require mechanical agitation....mechanical being the word.
    If at least trying it once, I can say at least, yeah, I tried it, it wasn`t for me...

I recall looking into TFR last year stateside - aka, usa, and all I found was 50 gallon drums if memory recalls. I was tempted yesterday, almost, had the cart for checkout to order 2 TFR from overseas. Shipping wasn`t the end of the world on the total

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobiledynamics -
    Hope this is a great day !

Glad to read you are using Einszett products - I have also been using them since they first came out, a long, long, time ago..

Pretty hard to beat just the 2 products I use the most - Deep Plastic Cleaner, and Cockpit Premium...

At the Chevron gas station & carwash I used to use when I was Detailing full time for EastSide Bavarian, I would get there really early with a Client`s vehicle to get that part of the work done, and was surprised one day to see a guy come out in a what looked like a full on Hazmat suit to load up the part of the machine in the brick room in the middle of the carwash with a soap solution.. It must be pretty toxic, and with that, perhaps they have to have a license to buy it ??
    That might be the answer why it is not sold on line at places we frequent..

Have you ever tried Meguiars D108 Super Degreaser as a pre-wash ? I have done this selectively and infrequently on the most dirty, greasy, nasty, vehicles with a good pressure wash rinse after and had great results..

I just re-read your "not requiring mechanical agitation" requirement, so perhaps this wont work for your needs after all

But it does do wonders to engines and engine compartments, rinses off really fast, does not foam like crazy, has never hurt anything under there, and makes the last part, spraying a great plastic conditioner, come out looking like better than a brand new engine and compartment..

Good luck with your research - hope you find what you want, just be careful, ok ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

stokdgs,
    cockpit, blitz, deep plastic and IR are heavy hitters in my bottles. Actually spoke to Mike last spring/summer...he`s in good spirits.

Indeed on no mechanical agitation. I`m basically trying to replicate my version of a `lazer 3000 touchless wash @ home ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

What about the truck washes? They seem pretty close to being the same as a TFR.

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Apologies if we`ve already covered this, but you`ve ascertained that you can`t just do the touchless stuff that I`m doing, right? I.e., your Traffic Film is just too tenacious no matter what LSP you try...

Post Thanks / Like

It could be water, it could be what combos they lay down locally I suppose.

Again, I always forget the behaviour, etc of winter but will pay close mind to the next HP wash. The one I did 2 weeks ago, I literally stood there with the HPW on a lower door , where the sill meets the trim of the wheel, and both the film on paint and trim just remained white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    .. I literally stood there with the HPW on a lower door , where the sill meets the trim of the wheel, and both the film on paint and trim just remained white.
    Yikes, that`s just SO different from how it goes with mine that, well...gee...I dunno what to say.

The fact that it`s *white* sorta sounds like it`s just regular ol` salt. Warm water rinses that pretty much right off FK1000P, and more importantly, my other LSPs as well. Must be some wildcard factor in play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yikes, that`s just SO different from how it goes with mine that, well...gee...I dunno what to say.

The fact that it`s *white* sorta sounds like it`s just regular ol` salt. Warm water rinses that pretty much right off FK1000P, and more importantly, my other LSPs as well. Must be some wildcard factor in play.

Indeed. Per the other thread, where you are stating the HPW will get your fairly clean - I`ll be happy with that...
    HPW for me will get the initial hard crust grit off, but will leave behind a film that must be mechanically removed. And well, the sensory feedback you get when you use a mitt (which you get in tune with), I cringe. Hence, I don`t mind trying a TFR knowing full well it`s ~strong stuff~.

It`s not like I`m using it for every washing session...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    ... Per the other thread, where you are stating the HPW will get your fairly clean - I`ll be happy with that......
    You can guess how happy I am that it`s working for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Can`t say for sure what brine I`m driving through, but for sure, they lay down liquid calcium chloride with sand. At times, just plain old Sodium Chloride.

Heh, maybe it`s some binder in the mix ? Dunno

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have petroleum based degreaser available in the US? Most of them is based on mineral spirits and used as tar and adhisive remover. It`s common to use this in the winter in Sweden. The only thing to be carefull with is to only use up to the middle of the doors. Because if used the whole time over to the glass on the doors it can get in to the doors inside from the seals and ruin the rust protection there.

So my touchless wash would be to apply a petroleum based degreaser on the lower parts of the car sides and front and back. Let it dwell for over 5min but not let it dry. Then I apply a alkaline degreaser over it and let that dwell for 3-5min. Rinse of the car from bottom up and use the water pressure from the the PW clean the car. Then I would be if not 2bm wash it. Foam the car or use a pressure bottle with a car schampo to neutralise the degreasers and rinse it of from the top.

The thought about useing a tar remover and an alkaline product is that it breaks down different kind of dirt. Most sealants and synthetic waxes holds up to this over winter. And ceramic coatings certainly do it but an organic wax like carnuaba is breaking down fast with this method.

There have come out citrus based degreasers that are powerfull as a tfr. And I have one that I like alot that I think have lemone in it that works great to replace both alkaline products and tar degreaser. Which is Bilt Hamber surfex HD which I have seen has beginning to sold in the US. Even their Bilt Hamber Auto Foam is powerfull as a tfr prewash. Then you have Angelwax Cleanliness and Angelwax Fast Foam which you also can get know and works good. All of them works great with a foamcannon to get them to cling to the car longer.

And no it`s not replace to wash with touching the paint when washing. But it`s not far away to do it. In the summer with a good prewash foam and water pressure from the PW you can extend the time between touching the paint when washing. Just has to have a chemical resistant lsp and a method to dry without touching the paint and you get decent results not perfect though. And if I would be waterless or rinseless wash inside a garage sometime in the future I would certainly get the car a really through prewash before touching the paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information