Post Thanks / Like

Griot`s Garage FINE Surface Prep Mitt or BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt

Does anyone have experience with both of these clay alternatives?

I was looking to try a claying mitt or towel. The Griot`s is 2X the price of the Blackfire, but is it really twice as good?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot`s Garage FINE Surface Prep Mitt or BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with both of these clay alternatives?

I was looking to try a claying mitt or towel. The Griot`s is 2X the price of the Blackfire, but is it really twice as good?
    Fellow Bimmer Admirer !

I have not tried either of your choices above but I have a few years experience with the SM Arnold version which came out years ago -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/spee...l#.Wi73plV5X3g

This is a bigger version that can be folded in quarters and you will never have to use another side for a long time, if you want to..

This claybar alternative is sticky to the touch when warm and of course because of that, would not work well on hot metal..

It does work well with a good clay lube or even car wash soap if you want to include this after you wash the car down to remove as much dirt to begin with.

The best all around clay lube I have ever used is the DoDo Juice Born Slippy Clay bar Lube.. Incredibly slippery, doesn`t act up in any way and wipes away clean leaving no residue..

I have found, however, that because it is NOT a claybar, I have had to press down a little harder and/or go over deeply embedded areas a little longer sometimes, to get them silky smooth.. But it does work and it works great..

Not having to stop and either clean the claybar or knead it to a clean spot is very appealing, and since this can be incorporated immediately after the initial wash/rinse process, this SM Arnold Speedy Clean Towel has been a timesaver for sure in my Shop..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post
    Thanks SGM2008 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Griots fine prep mitt works awesome. Does like 70 cars too which is cool too. Very easy to use and clean

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t speak to the backfire mitt or comparison between the two from a performance and price point perspective so my opinion may be moot. However I do own the Griots Garage FINE prep mitt and don`t have any regrets with it for the price I paid. It is my go to synthetic mitt over my nanoskin synthetic products for cars with light to moderate contamination. I find on heavier contaminated cars the FINE just does not cut it without a lot of pressure or going over the area many times and to be honest to me that just feels like I am inducing scratches/ marring. I still prefer using traditional clay on heavily contaminated cars/ cars that have never been clayed.
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post
    Thanks SGM2008 thanked for this post

Thread Information