Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a 21mm , found..

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    This says 900w, so it`s going to consume more power not be more powerful?? I think??
    225$ gotta decide by Friday night.
    Rupes is the best .
    This is tough!!
    I will be almost eye level, the push button would be easy to count and know what speed I`m at.
    A dial, I would have to tip the machine to see the speed.
    I have the Torq10 the buttons kinda suck, but for roofs it might be what would work for this novice.
    For occasional use roofs and hoods, Rupes is alota $$$$$

Post Thanks / Like

For occasional use roofs and hoods, Rupes is alota $$$$$
    My thoughts, pretty much exactly. After its last roof (2017 BMW M2) with the UHS, My 21 Mark II went on eBay. Someone got a pretty good deal, too.
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shurhold 3500 Pro Polisher

$180 and the BEST 21mm knock of out there. I have it.

Rupes, Zentool, CG, and Griot`s make a killing from their 21mm polishers. Especially, Zentool, CG, and Griot`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brewins View Post

Rupes, Zentool, CG, and Griot`s make a killing from their 21mm polishers. Especially, Zentool, CG, and Griot`s.
    What makes it good? How many tools have you compared it to? What is the warranty repair process? What makes it better than the other Chinese copy cats that are IDENTICAL to it?
    Likes Mary B, grungy, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Take a look at this?

https://youtu.be/iB7IK_Bketg
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    Have you look at the Shurhold 3500 21mm polisher? You can pick one up for around $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    I got one for less than $200- was like $180 or so

Plus it is 900 W-- big difference on power
    Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    They also had a coupon on amazon for $40 off. Someone could`ve bought one for $140 shipped!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewins View Post

Thought I`d give this one a try, with all the good reviews and input.
    Looks like I can`t go wrong.
    21mm
    Power transfer, that resists stalling
    Will except a 5" BP
    Rubberized handle
    20` cord
    Reasonably priced
    Good lookin` machine (CGs just ugly)

Plus the best of all...
    I found it on HD`s site, and my better half insisted on getting me the machine for Christmas.

Thank you to all that replied, will let you know how it goes.
    Likes KBsToy, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    Compared to what? Watts is a measurement of power consumed, not power produced..

I would recommend staying with the brand that designed these tools, innovated the solutions for these tools, and manufacturers these tools by pay workers fair wages. BigFoot Polishers are manufactured or assembled in the Italy or the USA (depending on where you live), offer full factory-backed warranty support, a full customer service team, etc.

I do enjoy when I meet a detailer (or see one online) who is complaining about how there is another company offering the same services for less money down the street - in a sense copying them... and while they complain they proudly hold a copycat, cheap version of the original polisher.
    Todd
    There are a lot of us that for one just cant put double the $$ into a machine we are only going to use occasionally. Now I can see someone saying if your only going to use it occasionally why are you buying it anyway?? And I can see their point there also.

If I was making a living using a polisher, I would 100% for sure invest the extra $$ in the rupes ( after I tried it to make sure of the hype ). I would never buy cheaper knockoffs for my everyday work. It use to bother the crap out of me when guys where I work bought X-TREEMELY cheap tools and they were always breaking and then they would want to borrow mine. Put the $$ into it if thats how you make your living. But I do go to Harbor freight and buy some stuff that I might only use once in a great while., I just dont have the jack to spend on it being a re-tired old fart on a fixed income.
    Likes Mary B, KBsToy, SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    Todd
    There are a lot of us that for one just cant put double the $$ into a machine we are only going to use occasionally. Now I can see someone saying if your only going to use it occasionally why are you buying it anyway?? And I can see their point there also.

If I was making a living using a polisher, I would 100% for sure invest the extra $$ in the rupes ( after I tried it to make sure of the hype ). I would never buy cheaper knockoffs for my everyday work. It use to bother the crap out of me when guys where I work bought X-TREEMELY cheap tools and they were always breaking and then they would want to borrow mine. Put the $$ into it if thats how you make your living. But I do go to Harbor freight and buy some stuff that I might only use once in a great while., I just dont have the jack to spend on it being a re-tired old fart on a fixed income.
    As an enthusiast / weekend detailer / retired autopian exactly !!!

If you have the coins then by all means enjoy yourself and your hobby.

Full time professional detailer the smart way to go is with quality tools that can be used on a daily base.

With the current sale with free shipping I get to try out some products to add to my collection that I will never use all of
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Need a 21mm , found..

On the other hand, you can see how someone who pays their mortgage by working for the company that invented this tool (Rupes) / sells this tool (Autopia) would not be thrilled with the Chinese rip offs. Basically, they do all the hard work and someone else comes along and says “how cheap can we reverse engineer this via a Chinese factory”. I only use my Rupes once or twice a year - but buying it was still a no brainer for me.

Think of your job. What do you do for a living? Me - I’m a pharmacist. I wouldn’t be crazy about some Indian pharmaceutical company selling non FDA approved pregablin via the Internet through some loophole - which is a knock of Pfizer’s Lyrica.

What incentive would Pfizer have to bring new drugs to market if that were legal? What incentive does Rupes have to invent new cool stuff if the majority of the detailing community embrace the knock offs?

To me, it’s the Walmart mentality. People want cheap stuff and modern technology makes it possible. So what happens? Walmart comes in and shuts everybody down. No independent shoe store, hardware store, grocery store, etc.. left in a lot of towns. No benefits & $8 / hr jobs. But, Tide is like 42¢ less - so people love it.

Maybe you don’t care. But, somehow - if China or India was coming for your job - I think you may think differently.
    Likes grungy, Stokdgs, Todd@RUPES liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

^+1
    <soapbox>
    As a technology worker, I have seen jobs go overseas to both China and India so it is not a theoretical position. I just bought a Rupes hoping to get it on sale but did otherwise as it has proven itself in the marketplace and with detailers I trust (Todd Helme included). Understand the price to use ratio and the rationale behind it as I also own some inexpensive tools but the majority of my main tools are not cheap knock-offs.

<off soap-box>
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009
    Likes Stokdgs, Todd@RUPES liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

On soap box---
    Not worth replying
    off soap box---
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will say I have Rupes and have had a tech issue with a Dodge Viper rear bumper using the Rupes system. I called during SEMA WEEK and they had Todd @ RUPES call me back and he coached me on a solution that would most likely resolve the issue he had on a Viper before. The problem was resolved and at the same time Todd educated me on why it would most likely happen on that type of bumper and how to avoid it on any car in the future. I do not know how to put a dollar value on that advice except to say it was priceless at that time in my new career. I delivered the Viper to the owner on time and received two more from his collection to work on after that. He still thinks I am a Viper expert now!
    Likes Mary B, SWETM, mc2hill, Todd@RUPES liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand both sides.
    I own both types of machines, Rupes (Duetto, Mini, can`t live without Rupes pads)
    Griot`s, Flex (2).
    I also own off brand machines, that I`ve been very happy with.
    Variety and choice to me is something to be used to help keep you strong.
    Also worked for Walmart thru the recession, which gave me a chance to learn a new trade,
    that I was able to parlay into the job I have now, a much better job! Where I`m happy and stronger because of it.
    Likes SWETM, grungy, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand both sides.
    I own both types of machines, Rupes (Duetto, Mini, can`t live without Rupes pads)
    Griot`s, Flex (2).
    I also own off brand machines, that I`ve been very happy with.
    Variety and choice to me is something to be used to help keep you strong.
    Also worked for Walmart thru the recession, which gave me a chance to learn a new trade,
    that I was able to parlay into the job I have now, a much better job! Where I`m happy and stronger because of it.

Good for you Mary!

For 21mm, my vote is for mkII Rupes. I own a Flex XFE7 in a 15mm and its also a great tool backed by a stellar company.

The fact that Todd Helme (Rupes) is an active member on this forum and able to personally answer questions and also helps develop the Rupes polishers is absolutely awesome. When buying a tool, I like to consider not only the effectiveness of the tool in removing defects, but also the company that backs it up.

That being said, companies like Rupes and Flex (and griots), engineer the heck out of their tools and really stand behind them. Many tools will offer satisfactory results, but few offer excellent customer support.

Good Luck!
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand both sides...
    Me too. While I`m generally a bit of a Tool Snob (gee, kinda a High Quality Product Snob in general... "Might as well have the best!" as the Filson ads say), if somebody can`t afford a top-shelf item, I won`t tell `em to just do without.

Post Thanks / Like

Well here it is....I don`t like it.
    Shorter, and heavier then my boss 15.
    The dial is difficult, have to almost scratch at it to turn the dial.
    Turned it on to 4. I know it`s a 21mm but the vibrations were more then any of my machines, on their highest settings. .
    It`s going back in the morning.
    Just have to save up for quality, the real deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information