Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ONR and Zaino

Post Thanks / Like

ONR and Zaino

I have a car that is mostly a garage queen with many layers of Zaino. I`m very happy with the Zaino and usually just clay it and add a coat or two of Zaino as annual maintenance. I`ve recently started using ONR on other cars, and would like to use it on this car also.

My concern is that ONR "blue" leaves (I think) a bit of polymer coating and ONR "green" (wash & wax) leaves that polymer coating plus a carnauba coating.

My questions are:

1. Would the coatings from either version of ONR interfere with the bonding of additional Zaino coats?
    2. Which version of ONR would be better for this car?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR and Zaino

Quote Originally Posted by peterp View Post
    I have a car that is mostly a garage queen with many layers of Zaino. I`m very happy with the Zaino and usually just clay it and add a coat or two of Zaino as annual maintenance. I`ve recently started using ONR on other cars, and would like to use it on this car also.

My concern is that ONR "blue" leaves (I think) a bit of polymer coating and ONR "green" (wash & wax) leaves that polymer coating plus a carnauba coating.

My questions are:

1. Would the coatings from either version of ONR interfere with the bonding of additional Zaino coats?
    2. Which version of ONR would be better for this car?
    If you are really concerned about the polymers left behind, perhaps another rinseless wash is in order. I`m not sure I believe in Zaino actually layering, but the polymers will interfere somewhat with it bonding. How much, who knows. That said, you owe it to yourself to check out some other products. Zaino was the cat`s meow in the late 90`s early 2ks, but nearly 20 years have gone by, there are much better performing products, especially in the protection department.
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    If you are really concerned about the polymers left behind, perhaps another rinseless wash is in order. I`m not sure I believe in Zaino actually layering, but the polymers will interfere somewhat with it bonding. How much, who knows. That said, you owe it to yourself to check out some other products. Zaino was the cat`s meow in the late 90`s early 2ks, but nearly 20 years have gone by, there are much better performing products, especially in the protection department.
    Thanks. I know Zaino is old school now, but Zaino on red just works, so I`m sticking with it on this car even though I use other products on other cars. Is there a specific rinseless that you can recommend that works well and doesn`t have a polymer? I think I will use that on this car and use ONR on everything else (I guess I`ll get the green ONR for everything else then, currently have the blue).

Post Thanks / Like

Megs D114 is the only one I know of, and its been discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like

McKee`s N-914 is the one that comes up most often for a leaves-nothing rinseless.
    Likes peterp, Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    McKee`s N-914 is the one that comes up most often for a leaves-nothing rinseless.
    I second this recommendation.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want a rinseless that leaves nothing behind N-914 is the only choice.

As Zaino is technically a synthetic sealant, I wouldn`t worry to much about messing it up. If you want a truly amazing glossy finish on red paint, check out Polish Angel Cosmic V2. I used Zaino for years, but Polish Angel blows it away.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

IUDJ hasn`t messed with any of my synthetic LSPs, at least not that I`ve noticed, not that I use Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ... not that I use Zaino.
    No, but your great grandfather did! (<- poking fun at myself)

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum states that the polymers in ONR (blue) are there for a couple reasons. One to encapsulate the dirt and two to act as a barrier between the wash and dry tool used. The wax version leaves wax behind. You won`t have any issues with the blue one.

As others stated McKee`s N914 leaves nothing behind.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BadgerRivFan, peterp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No, but your great grandfather did! (<- poking fun at myself)
    Heh heh, that was a change from the usual "Accumulator`s soooo old!" quips!

Heh heh#2, my grandfather(s) witnessed the dawn of automobiles, were born way before there were cars. My great grandfathers never even saw a car!
    Likes peterp, DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Optimum states that the polymers in ONR (blue) are there for a couple reasons. One to encapsulate the dirt and two to act as a barrier between the wash and dry tool used. The wax version leaves wax behind. You won`t have any issues with the blue one.
    Interesting feedback. The reason I feel like ONR leaves a coating on the paint is the same reason I`ve grown so fond of ONR after only a couple uses -- another car that is always garaged but driven once or twice a week used to get dirty/dusty very quickly even though it isn`t used much and is always well-waxed. It seems to stay clean much longer since I started using ONR, and I only have the blue ONR for now. It could be psychological, but I really feel like the car stays much cleaner much longer after an ONR wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting feedback. The reason I feel like ONR leaves a coating on the paint is the same reason I`ve grown so fond of ONR after only a couple uses -- another car that is always garaged but driven once or twice a week used to get dirty/dusty very quickly even though it isn`t used much and is always well-waxed. It seems to stay clean much longer since I started using ONR, and I only have the blue ONR for now. It could be psychological, but I really feel like the car stays much cleaner much longer after an ONR wash.
    ONR will make otherwise squeaky paint slick. To me, there is something on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    ONR will make otherwise squeaky paint slick. To me, there is something on the surface.
    Yeah, both ONR and IUDJ do definitely leave stuff behind. I`ve been using both for various household jobs and it doesn`t take long for that [whatever they leave behind] to build up to the point that things (that never did before) feel freshly LSPed and shine better than they had in years.

Wasn`t there another rinseless that doesn`t leave stuff behind? Thought I was on a thread about one just recently....didn`t think I`d have a use for the stuff but then decided I might after all. BF? WG? Eh, can`t quite recall...

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re concerned about what ONR leaves behind, you could just do a Z-6 wipedown after the ONR and before your reapplication of Z-2 or Z-5 or whatever you`re using. Or wipe it down with Duragloss FC&S and save yourself a lot of money. Speaking of Duragloss, I find their rinseless wash plays fine with Zaino...which of course it should, since IMO it`s "in the family". Anyway, that`s what I would use.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information