Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad can an $8 coating be?

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    I`m prepped and ready to go. Just waiting on the post man now.

Tom, my old friend !
    Wow ! You really rocked that paintwork !!!
    I am so proud of you !!!
    Its beautiful !!!
    Dan F
    Thanks tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/B1hXBwKXXrk

Here is some intresting thoughts about this coatings. Long video about it but very informative to watch as useally with watching John at Forensic detailing channel.

How is this working out for you that have used this?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems OK so far but I`m only two weeks in, SWET. It`s raining today so I`ll try to get a couple of fotos. I`ve been in the rain one other time and the beading is good but not like the beading we see from others.

The gloss did improve slightly following application. I don`t see any high spots or problem areas following my application.
    Likes SWETM, Dustin Cropsboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a photo from this afternoon in the rain, surface isn`t clean, beading appears lackluster:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Abrupt end of test. Sold the Passat but the $8 coating was still going strong and the paint didn`t peel off. How bad can an  coating be?
    Likes Loach, SWETM, Leadfootluke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Had my first test with this coating. It`s definitely a true coating, applicator is very stiff after a week, as well as the towel used during wipeoff. Grabby on removal, non slick surface left behind. Despite this I measured some of the highest readings out of the gloss meter compared to most other coatings I`ve tested. Surface is moderately hydrophobic, won`t win any beading/sheeting contests but it held up after dry wipedowns with 1:3 dilution Super Clean, LA`s APC and Prep-All. Could be a great low price base coating to use spray toppers with, I definitely like the new Mckee`s 37 a lot better though.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the beading of this $8 coating when I washed the car last week. Seems like the beading is diminishing over time and it`s only been 6 months or so. Beading was always weak as I noted above.

I think I`ve probably tried 8 coatings. With the amount of prep work involved, I really don`t have any place for coatings that are done after a year or so. Simply not worth the time and effort to make it all look right. I`m starting to think the premium coatings that last a few years are simply a better value. I bought 22ple HPC recently and just finished doing my son`s car and it looks great, product very easy to use. I have high hopes for this one.

I had the chance to wash my daughter`s car a week ago. She doesn`t care for it at all. I used Pinnacle Black Label last summer on it. There`s really no evidence of anything on the paint a year later - car looks lousy.

The only coating I`ve used that I can document long-life is the CQuartz UK. That`s been a winner on both cars I`ve used it on.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

^ I got 2+ years out of CQ Ti02 and 3+ from CQUK. Those are some the best coatings IMO for most consumer use. I have Opti-coat Pro (old version) no my track and it is still there 4+ years later. Wish I could still use the Pro stuff.....

But I have not used the newer 22ple, Gtech, Gyeon stuff. My guess is that they are just as good. From what I have seen and used as far as coatings go I really believe you get what you pay for and prep for.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the beading of this $8 coating when I washed the car last week. Seems like the beading is diminishing over time and it`s only been 6 months or so. Beading was always weak as I noted above.

I think I`ve probably tried 8 coatings. With the amount of prep work involved, I really don`t have any place for coatings that are done after a year or so. Simply not worth the time and effort to make it all look right. I`m starting to think the premium coatings that last a few years are simply a better value. I bought 22ple HPC recently and just finished doing my son`s car and it looks great, product very easy to use. I have high hopes for this one.

I had the chance to wash my daughter`s car a week ago. She doesn`t care for it at all. I used Pinnacle Black Label last summer on it. There`s really no evidence of anything on the paint a year later - car looks lousy.

The only coating I`ve used that I can document long-life is the CQuartz UK. That`s been a winner on both cars I`ve used it on.
    Have you done any decon washes on it? IME the tar remover is what revives the coating most. It`s just not the tar you are after but other contaminants that it desolves. An iron remover is also helpfull to some contaminants also others contaminants than iron particals. But could be that it`s hard to notice and difference when the beading and sheeting was not so great to begin with. If you where to do a decon wash you know you have as a clean paint as possible. And what state the coating is on. Just some thoughts about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, she (and the car) were only home for the weekend so I no longer have access to it. All panels look sad, not just the sides of the car.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

They are selling the Mr. Fix stuff on eBay for $5. I don’t know how they can afford the shipping at that price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    They are selling the Mr. Fix stuff on eBay for $5. I don’t know how they can afford the shipping at that price.
    It just goes to show how local vendors/companies/manufacturers have been gouging and artificially inflating the prices !
    Just on the topic of shipping cost alone, North American vendors cannot compete let alone on their products = Game over for e-commerce in North America !

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had great success with 22ple coatings. I`ve only used the pro1 and pro2, both have been great coatings.
    Likes tom p., scharnhorst310 liked this post

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information