Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad can an $8 coating be?

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post

TW, I only saw a couple of "reviews" and they were 14 seconds in duration. Can you reference something else that has substance to it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDoHVNHwtvU&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZcbdeUVWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpu98TS15mI

This last one is in a different language (German?) but has some English text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIt6-QX5WNg&t
    Likes PantherShark, Dan liked this post
    Thanks PantherShark thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, TW. I found the first two this afternoon. I`m trying to understand the misting of water prior to application in the 3rd video. What`s up with that??

It`s interesting to note they claim a 3 - 5 yr lifespan in the German video.

Is this product mainstream elsewhere? We`re just noticing it now??
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

24 hour update on the open bottle of coating. Yesterday afternoon I took the cap is and just set it on top of the bottle so the bottle would be pretty much open, but no dust could get in. 24 hour results...absolutely nothing. I forgot to mark the level on the liquid yesterday so I did that today. We`ll see what tomorrow brings.

Post Thanks / Like

48 hours open and no change. So i guess that means it must be water based. I washed my wife`s truck today and during the wash process I went over them with a clean rinseless wash mitt loaded wit reset wash and suds and the pillars got light scratches. This stuff is incredibly soft, obviously this "coating" didn`t help at all. I`m pretty sure it`s just a water based sealant, and not a very good one. Target market is average Joe who knows nothing about coatings, so really won`t understand the difference, will just have a poor opinion of ceramic coatings. Just my opinion.

The bottle on the other hand is quite durable. After I checked it and put it the cabinet I bumped it and it fell about 3 1/2 feet and didn`t break lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, TW. I found the first two this afternoon. I`m trying to understand the misting of water prior to application in the 3rd video. What`s up with that??
    I would guess the water is either an application aid, adding moisture for hydrolysis or both.

In theory, for coatings not already hydrolyzed: more available moisture --> more reactions --> more crosslinking --> harder surface

Post Thanks / Like

Audios, thanks. Wouldn`t the product manufacturer make a recommendation for the water spritz, if needed? I`ve never seen it with the products I`ve sampled.

Post Thanks / Like

Audios, thanks. Wouldn`t the product manufacturer make a recommendation for the water spritz, if needed? I`ve never seen it with the products I`ve sampled.
    You must distinguish between manufacturer and brand. Quite often they are not one in the same and the brand may not have all the information that the manufacturer does, especially if it`s strictly a relabel relationship.

Some call for a damp towel wipe, which would also be a buffing aid and add moisture. Some coatings come already hydrolyzed as well, so adding water would not necessarily help much. The brands, of course, wants to protect their formulations and likely aren`t willing to give up information like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Audios, of the coatings you`ve used, how many asked for water spritzing?

Post Thanks / Like

How bad can an $8 coating be?

Audios, of the coatings you`ve used, how many asked for water spritzing?
    4 that I can at least recall doing used either a water spritz or wet towel application. 2 from one brand (Kisho) and I know I did the other 2, just can`t remember the brands.

Post Thanks / Like

First wash today after about 900 miles. It feels like a coating is on there while washing and after washing it is much slicker than it was after application. Not a fan of the look, but it sheets water very, very well. The surface has very few beads on it after rinsing and almost nothing at all after a quick blow dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, what color is the subject car? Why don`t you care for the appearance of this product?

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, what color is the subject car? Why don`t you care for the appearance of this product?
    The car is a medium grey metallic. It looks like it has a cheap QD on it. No depth, just shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if leaving the bottle open should have any affect or not. It seems to me that there something would happen, some type of solids forming. It`s been about a week open and absolutely nothing. The level may very slightly lower. If anyone could give some input on this I would appreciate it. Obviously a water based coating. Of course this isn`t the same coating Dan used, a different Chinese coating. The guy that gave it to me said it was 30.00, but when he ordered it they send him 3 bottles...

Post Thanks / Like

How bad can an $8 coating be?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I don`t know if leaving the bottle open should have any affect or not. It seems to me that there something would happen, some type of solids forming. It`s been about a week open and absolutely nothing. The level may very slightly lower. If anyone could give some input on this I would appreciate it. Obviously a water based coating. Of course this isn`t the same coating Dan used, a different Chinese coating. The guy that gave it to me said it was 30.00, but when he ordered it they send him 3 bottles...
    I would be interested to know what happens when you put a couple milliliters of the coating into a container and add a drop or two of white vinegar.

Also, is it really water based? Like no smell of solvent at all?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information