Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad can an $8 coating be?

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I would be more worried about the expensive ones from china that could actually afford to add something really nasty, like an isocyanate.

IMO those people [freakin`] hate us. Whenever possible, I avoid contact with anything from there. Whenever it`s feasible I try to avoid even *buying* anything from there (why feed the monster that wants to eat you?), but that`s pretty tough any more.
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Well I went for it, one fender coated on the VW. Quick notes:

-Pretty grabby on application
    -Fairly thick, same consistancy as Opticoat
    -Pretty hard to see high spots, does not do the rainbow color like other coatings
    -After drying for a little bit, it seems pretty grabby, we`ll see what happens as it cures.
    -A little goes a long way! Fender was coated with 15-20 drops?
    -Not much, if any, darkening effect

To be honest, I`m not sure I got it on right, this is not my first coating, but I didn`t get any real instructions, I applied it, let if flash for a few minutes just as it was starting to get tacky, I wiped off the excess.

And for those of you that have served (thank you!), there is a new "veteran" forumula:

https://www.ebay.com/p/9h-Hardness-L...re/18006971303
    The guy that gave me the bottle said his instructions came in his email...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    The guy that gave me the bottle said his instructions came in his email...
    I got nothing. Mind sharing what he got?

Post Thanks / Like

I got nothing. Mind sharing what he got?
    I`ll see if he`ll send them to me. There are actually instructions on the Amazon site...they look like badly translated Chinese though lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    I ordered this morning. I`ll coat the front end of my rolling coating test bed and see how she endures the winter season.
    Ha, looking forward to see what you think of it.

I keep rubbing my hand over this stuff, I cannot believe how utterly grabby it is, in a terrible bad way. It almost feels like that rubbery coating they used on cell phones about 10 years ago. Not sure how long I`m going to be able to tolerate this!

And I did the math, McKee`s is ~$12 per 30ml before any coupons. If you are thining this is the answer to your cheap coating dreams, think twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, looking forward to see what you think of it.

I keep rubbing my hand over this stuff, I cannot believe how utterly grabby it is, in a terrible bad way. It almost feels like that rubbery coating they used on cell phones about 10 years ago. Not sure how long I`m going to be able to tolerate this!

And I did the math, McKee`s is ~$12 per 30ml before any coupons. If you are thining this is the answer to your cheap coating dreams, think twice.
    He threw the instructions he got in his email away. He said they were like instructions for most other coatings. Apply a thin even coat, let flash, and remove. The price on his was 30.00, but they sent him 3 bottles. Opticoat 2.0 used to be grabby, or more of a squeaky clean type grabby, not what you`re describing and it worked real well. Glad you came to the conclusion an American made product was actually a better buy.
    He`s taking a stick and rubbing it in the coating and getting no scratches. Actually I would expect scratches with a blunt object, maybe some marring, which may be there if you looked at different angles. Glad you did the math on the McKee`s that is a good buy. I don`t think the new formula has been out long enough to have any kind of durability testing, haven`t heard of any failing prematurely yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I would expect..marring, which may be there if you looked at different angles.
    Good on you for thinking of that...[INSERT my usual regarding believing what`s presented as fact ]...

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, I`m still going to give it a try once it arrives.

I`ve got the McKee`s product and have spent a fair bit of time with it. Seems pretty good.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

He threw the instructions he got in his email away. He said they were like instructions for most other coatings. Apply a thin even coat, let flash, and remove. The price on his was 30.00, but they sent him 3 bottles. Opticoat 2.0 used to be grabby, or more of a squeaky clean type grabby, not what you`re describing and it worked real well. Glad you came to the conclusion an American made product was actually a better buy.
    He`s taking a stick and rubbing it in the coating and getting no scratches. Actually I would expect scratches with a blunt object, maybe some marring, which may be there if you looked at different angles. Glad you did the math on the McKee`s that is a good buy. I don`t think the new formula has been out long enough to have any kind of durability testing, haven`t heard of any failing prematurely yet.
    I`ve had three personal vehicles that I`ve done with Opticoat. That felt like bare paint. This stuff is grabby like rubber.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several new reviews of this product on YouTube that show application and water tests. Nothing yet on durability but the users had nothing negative to say about the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Ruh Roh, this is an "as seen on TV" offering

I see people trying to sell the product for a lot more than $8.

TW, I only saw a couple of "reviews" and they were 14 seconds in duration. Can you reference something else that has substance to it?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to do an experiment. CSL is a pretty high solids coating. If you have half a bottle left and don`t close it tightly, of just have it too long you will see large crystals form as these solids bond to each other. I`ve always thrown them away at this point, never kept them long enough to to see exactly how large the crystals get. Basically those crystals are what`s left on your paint when you coat it, obviously not in that form. High solids equal strength and durability for the most part.Now the Chinese one that was given to me is a different brand DPro 9H. I left the top open just a little bit on this bottle. I`m interested in seeing just what`s left when the carriers evaporate. My suspicions are a thin layer on the bottle and a few small crystals. When I applied this stuff on the pillars on the truck there was no "sweating" which you almost always see with any coating. The solvents quickly evaporated and in my opinion left very little on the surface. As far as scratch protection, if there is any this test will show it. If you look at those pillars wrong they scratch. Lol. I don`t expect it to take more than 24-48 hours for the solvents to be completely evaporated. I`ll let you know what I find.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I applied this stuff on the pillars on the truck there was no "sweating" which you almost always see with any coating. The solvents quickly evaporated and in my opinion left very little on the surface. As far as scratch protection, if there is any this test will show it. If you look at those pillars wrong they scratch. Lol. I don`t expect it to take more than 24-48 hours for the solvents to be completely evaporated. I`ll let you know what I find.
    What does the sweating look like? With this stuff, the surface got some stuff that almost looked like a light coating of dust about 12 hours after I applied it. I wasn`t sure if it was stuff kicked up from the garage or what.

Post Thanks / Like

What does the sweating look like? With this stuff, the surface got some stuff that almost looked like a light coating of dust about 12 hours after I applied it. I wasn`t sure if it was stuff kicked up from the garage or what.
    It will actually look like little beads of perspiration.

Post Thanks / Like

It will actually look like little beads of perspiration.
    Roger that, definitely not sweating then. I finally had enough and wiped it down with some UWW+ QD. Feels slick like pig snot now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information