Post Thanks / Like

What size pads recommended?

I just have 5 and 6" pads and ordinarily I hand do narrow areas. Now I am thinking I would like to use some small pads instead of doing narrow areas.
    Disregarding the grill what you use on the rear of my car?

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What size pads recommended?

Get a 3” DA. I have the Adams Swirl Killer mini and it’s nice if your looking for something inexpensive. Prefer it over the G8 because of the longer throw.

If I had to do over again i’d go G13 griots. Nothing wrong with the ASK, just would want to match my g15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would use the 5" pad with a 5" interface pad underneath. You could also put a 3" backing plate on whatever machine it is that you have now.
    Definitely stay away from using a drill. If you want to go rotary (my choice) get a flex pe8. It`s a 3" rotary polisher. Use it on speed 1-2 with slow arm movement and moderate pressure

Post Thanks / Like

* I thought you said drill, not grille. Disregard my last sentence

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen -

Hope you guys have been well !

Beautiful Porsche !!

If I were paint correcting it, I would put either a 2" or a 3" pad on my Rotary, with a small extension on the end of it, and carefully go around the paintwork around the grill... Smaller pads spin faster, so you have to be careful of the edge of the pad touching the edges of the grill. You do not want to even think about removing paint from those edges ever..

Also, smaller pads load up quicker, so you have to be mindful of that and keep them clean after each pass... I would probably use the 3" so I have a little more pad to work with..

Smaller pads are also a little harder to control so I keep speeds lower than 1k, perhaps no faster then 700 or so.. No need to hurry... Just get it as perfect as it needs to be..

For all the horizontal grill paint itself, nothing touching it, except a finger wrapped in a soft, clean, white, cotton towel and a little M105, or something finer, that has been thinned down with the same pad conditioner I use on all pads..

I have found the old M105 to be perfect for doing all the under door handle cups using the 1 finger wrapped in towel method..It always finishes really clear and glossy if you want to take the time to work it slowly, with adequate moisture so it does not dry out, and be mindful of how quick it can remove, and not remove too much of the clearcoat...

Perhaps I might go over all of it instead, with something finer like Optimum HyperGloss, etc... Depends on paint condition, and how the paint reacts to correction, etc..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I like using my G8 with the 2 inch pads. You can sometimes use less aggressive pads when using 2 or 3 inch pads because the pad spins faster.

A shorter throw is actually a pro is many respects because you can get up closer to the edges. In response to coatings comment.

Note: Griots G8 comes with both 2 inch and 3 inch backing plates. Its a good little unit. It doesn`t seem robust enough to hold up to daily work however...to me anyhow. The original G15 i think can hold up quite sometime. I own both.

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure and order pads that are beveled like the Rupes pads. This will help you from bumping the paint and also help you get into corners

Thread Information