Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Thanks for the pic, wish I had saved my box to check. I remember when ordering there was a note about packaging being changed:

"AS OF 11/6/2020 NV NOVA EVO PACKAGING HAS CHANGED. THE 7X7 PACKAGING HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED "

Well, fool me once, shame on me...but fool me twice? From the Waxit website regarding NV Nova Evo:

“If you are looking for a professional grade coating that can be purchased at any level, this is a fantastic choice. Crazy durability, chemical resistance, water behaviour, gloss… Nova EVO does it all."

Nova EVO is a silica and diamond powder infused coating. This professional grade hybrid coating was created in the quest for a paint protective solution that incurred no compromise. The revolutionary coating boasts extreme levels of elemental protection & chemical resistance. Nova EVO can help mitigate light swirling & scratching through its unique friction eliminating surface structure. While Nova EVO creates a hardened sacrificial layer, this is not the underlying factor that helps mitigate swirls which a lot of companies misconstrue. With the addition of diamond powder the coating has a much stronger bond to the surface, also allowing it to last up to 3 years!"

I`ve always rolled my eyes at a particular coating mfg who touted their coatings` "Diamond-Infused 10h hardness" because it contained carbon (which turns into diamond in literally about a Billion years).

So now it turns out that I`ve used a coating (and quite honestly, really enjoyed it) with possible graphene *and* diamond in it, 2 things of which I`m somewhat skeptical. Methinks perhaps Karma is telling me it`s time to stop engaging in this coating nonsense...it`s like I`m not even paying attention anymore

I will admit to my heart being a bit heavy when I first saw that...

Fortunately I believe they will still be producing the non-graphene V2 of Stance, still my favorite wheel coating. The appeal of it (in addition to performance) is how easy it is to use. Very forgiving so can cover a lot of area before removal; the V3 w/ graphene is apparently a bit more cantankerous to use.

Hopefully the World eases up a bit by Summer so I`ll be able to ask him about that if the Annual Open House takes place and he is able to fly in for it...unfortunately 2 big IF`s at this point I`d say.

STEK had/has a coating that is like this as well.
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-stek_formula.jpg

Johns360??? How do you find this stuff
    This is very interesting, kind of making rethink graphene. My 2 year old Opt Gloss Coat is going to be replaced this spring and I have been trying to decide which coating to use. Everything I have read suggest this NV coating is highly regarded so if they are using graphene maybe it isn`t as gimmicky as we think. I`m no expert, just a weekend warrior who has done 1 coating. This thread is great BTW. BudgetPlan1, your experience is invaluable!
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sjbiss View Post
    This is very interesting, kind of making rethink graphene. My 2 year old Opt Gloss Coat is going to be replaced this spring and I have been trying to decide which coating to use. Everything I have read suggest this NV coating is highly regarded so if they are using graphene maybe it isn`t as gimmicky as we think. I`m no expert, just a weekend warrior who has done 1 coating. This thread is great BTW. BudgetPlan1, your experience is invaluable!
    Any other coating would be an upgrade over gloss coat. Choose one from a reputable brand and you will be just fine.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have no complaints about Gloss Coat. It was super easy to apply and performed well. I knew going in it wasn`t the glossiest or most hydrophobic but it is still performing after 2 years, including 2 NE winters.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sjbiss, its seems these graphane infused high solid coatings or whatever is going on, are holding up from the tests i seen on youtube. Just not revolutionary.

I`m don`t know much about IGL Kenzo but they even have an installer in my neck of the woods. A low population island called Newfoundland.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no complaints about Gloss Coat. It was super easy to apply and performed well. I knew going in it wasn`t the glossiest or most hydrophobic but it is still performing after 2 years, including 2 NE winters.
    Those sound like two fundamental complaints to me. Each to their own but to me I don`t get the point of durability if it`s not a super shiny, hydrophobic coating with great self cleaning?

Yeah there are other attributes to a coating but we`re interested enough in LSP performance to be on here discussing it !! Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Those sound like two fundamental complaints to me. Each to their own but to me I don`t get the point of durability if it`s not a super shiny, hydrophobic coating with great self cleaning?

Yeah there are other attributes to a coating but we`re interested enough in LSP performance to be on here discussing it !! Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I didn`t say it wasn`t shiny or hydrophobic, just that there are other products that excel here. It definitely outperforms a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually produce a rant against glosscoat and it turns into a rambling post. I will save everyone from reading it.

Thats good that it last the two winters though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ethos Graphene Matrix after sitting in cup for a week. Probably not indicative of fresh coating curing; bought in August 2020, opened and applied October 2020. Has sat on shelf since then as I watched the rGO settle out...shook up and poured in cup 6 or 7 days ago. Has the texture and behavior of a thin sheet of candle wax; note overly flexible, just cracks when bent a bit. :shrug: Interesting how the bottom layer is pitch black I guess.
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-ethos_curing.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes noorth, The Guz liked this post
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. Interesting stuff!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finished the last of this Winters new trucks/rolling test panels with Shine Supply Beadlock Pro.

It`s nice as far as application, somewhat slick an hour or 2 after application but nothing crazy. Very brilliantly glossy, a bit sharper than The Gloss Shop Titan, a bit lighter than NV Nova Evo, slightly brighter than Kamikaze ISM 2.0. I watched Mike G`s application video ( https://youtu.be/d4nUYjG6VKo ) before starting and it pretty much mirrored my experience. The 2nd coat left a bit of light haze in spots, easily removed (either immediately or when noticed later) but something i hadda watch for. For 2 coats on the windowless E250 Transit van, used about 40ml of the 100ml bottle using 3x5 thin coating-saver applicator. I used Shine Supply`s Throw Back panel wipe for the final prep wipe before coating. It was slightly foamy when the drops hit the panel but did nicely, easy to use heavily w a Platinum Pluffle. The coating had a slightly ammonia-ish smell to it; not overwhelmingly offensive by any means but occasionally noticeable.

Will do the voluminous black plastic trim with 2 coats as well; Shine Supply notes 2 are best on this as the plastic absorbs the first coat a bit and the limited bit of trim I did confirmed this approach.

I snatched the Shine Supply stuff during their Black Friday sale, 15% off so $163.20 shipped for 100ml of coating, 16oz of prep spray...plenty to do 2 of these rather large vehicles so pretty economical actually.

2 layers of Beadlock vs single layers of the Evo, Titan & ISM 2.0 that were this years other choices.

Of the 4 this Winter, EVO & ISM 2.0 were favorites for application and initial looks but the Beadlock and Titan are certainly no slouches in the asthetic sense, all are very nice and slightly different to my eye. I guess it depends on what exactly one is looking for as far as the nuances in gloss go, something that (to me anyway) goes beyond judgements of gloss based solely on metered measurements.

Some very nice coatings this year; I hope they do well...we`ll see as the year progresses and the vehicles accumulate miles in the real world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Budget! Good update as always.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not tempted by SiC budget?

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I went with Gyeon CanCoat but this year I want a full coating with slickness being one of the main things I want over and above solid protection. At this point, I’m leaning towards a coat of CQuartz UK 3.0 with a coat of CQuartz SiC. So I’d definitely be interested in some testing of the combo, I’d even buy it and ship it to be added to the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

It was originally on the list, partly cuz i wanted to use Essence again. Some others here were trying it so figr`d a I`d add a little variety w the NV Nova instead.
    Likes dgage, Coatings=crack, atbalfour, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    It was originally on the list, partly cuz i wanted to use Essence again. Some others here were trying it so figr`d a I`d add a little variety w the NV Nova instead.
    I understand completely and appreciate all that you’ve shared since you stopped messing around with coatings. But seriously, the only thing the others don’t have that are working with SiC is your experience with all of the other coatings you’ve worked with and the way you share your findings. If you change your mind and decide to try SiC over UK 3.0, let me know and I’ll order you 30 or 50 ml of each.

And I also appreciate the many that are sharing their experiences such as Coatings=Crack and The Guz and many others. I really value the opinions here more than other places and I haven’t seen any real SiC (over UK 3.0) reviews on Autopia, which I hope changes soon. Then again, I also understand why a 6 min coating flash time isn’t necessarily on the list for many.
    Likes Coatings=crack, atbalfour liked this post

Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread Information