Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Nicely done, Budget
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Last one for this Winter (4 this year), SPS Graphene. It`s done well on my personal car since May of 2019, a bright reflective gloss that seems to visually `burn thru` any light dirt on surface...maybe just the ticket for something you want always looking good from 2 feet away.

Aside from my new-found affinity for the thin 3x5 coating saver applicators and using a Platinum Pluffle for large-panel CarPro Eraser wipedowns, this year also notable to me for leaving the Flex 3401 at home and doing this all with Rupes 15 Mk2, BOSS21 and Rupes Mini. All polishing done w/ Sonax Perfect Finish, yellow Rupes pads, 4 passes, 10-15# pressure. Easiest & quickest polishing since I started this nonsense. While the vehicles are new, our decal guy leaves plenty of marks from his blue, plastic squeegee so there were some medium scratches here and there and lighter scratches everywhere.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-sps-2020.jpg
    What is the cut level on the yellow rupes?More or less than an orangepad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    What is the cut level on the yellow rupes?More or less than an orangepad?

I`d say a bit less than a LC Orange light cutting pad, all other things being equal. BOSS orange pad a bit stiffer than rupes yellow as well.

Rupes yellow such a handy pad, have used w Rupes 15, Boss21 and Flex 3401 although the Flex can be a bit hard on `em.

Used about 6 of each (6" & 7") on these trucks, also some 4" here and there.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m planning to coat my car sometime in the next month or so but am having a hard time deciding between 22PLE HPC and Kamikaze ISM for a Lexus with white metallic paint. This will by my first time applying a coating and I`m leaning towards the HPC for the ease of application and it being about half the cost of ISM when on sale. The big downside is having to wait 12-24 hours between coats but with the amount of free time I`m going to have for at least the next four weeks that probably won`t much as much of an issue. The upside of ISM would be the single coat and look compared to HPC, as BudgetPlan1 noted looks especially good with metallic paint. Either will be topped with Overcoat which I already have.

A third option would be the Adams UV coating is also an option but it`s too new to know how it holds up long term. Everything I`ve seen and read says it`s initially great but I`d really like to know how it holds up after at least a year before more seriously considering it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gridlink View Post
    I`m planning to coat my car sometime in the next month or so but am having a hard time deciding between 22PLE HPC and Kamikaze ISM for a Lexus with white metallic paint. This will by my first time applying a coating and I`m leaning towards the HPC for the ease of application and it being about half the cost of ISM when on sale. The big downside is having to wait 12-24 hours between coats but with the amount of free time I`m going to have for at least the next four weeks that probably won`t much as much of an issue. The upside of ISM would be the single coat and look compared to HPC, as BudgetPlan1 noted looks especially good with metallic paint. Either will be topped with Overcoat which I already have.

A third option would be the Adams UV coating is also an option but it`s too new to know how it holds up long term. Everything I`ve seen and read says it`s initially great but I`d really like to know how it holds up after at least a year before more seriously considering it.
    Boy, that`s a tough one given all the good coating choices out there. Considering what you`ve mentioned, I`d think 22ple HPC might be your best choice. Such an easy and forgiving product to use and might give a bit more visual pop to white. The ISM is great, easy to use but is more of a glow compared to more overt gloss that HPC gives. The effect on metallics that ISM provides might get a bit lost in white paint although I`ve never used it on white.

I did use HPC on Honda white that had a bit of `pearl-ish` metallic on it and it was beautiful.

That said, if I had a white car, I might give Polish Angel Viking Coat/So6ritz a try. Probably not as durable/long lasting as HPC or ISM but a forum member here once posted this pic of white Nissan Rogue done with Viking and it`s one of my favorite `after` pictures I`ve ever seen.
    Likes Gridlink, Shaq93, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, that`s a tough one given all the good coating choices out there. Considering what you`ve mentioned, I`d think 22ple HPC might be your best choice. Such an easy and forgiving product to use and might give a bit more visual pop to white. The ISM is great, easy to use but is more of a glow compared to more overt gloss that HPC gives. The effect on metallics that ISM provides might get a bit lost in white paint although I`ve never used it on white.

I did use HPC on Honda white that had a bit of `pearl-ish` metallic on it and it was beautiful.

That said, if I had a white car, I might give Polish Angel Viking Coat/So6ritz a try. Probably not as durable/long lasting as HPC or ISM but a forum member here once posted this pic of white Nissan Rogue done with Viking and it`s one of my favorite `after` pictures I`ve ever seen.
    Thanks. I may end up going with HPC then. White is a hard color to get to really pop so going with a really glossy coating might be best solution. I suppose Miyabi could be another option too, but if HPC is longer lasting and just as glossy I think that`s still better for my needs.

I need to get some paint chips repaired before I can do the paint correction and apply whatever coating I go with. Due to the depth of some of the chips and the paint being a tri-coat metallic I may get it done professionally by a local detailer who I used before I became an enthusiast myself. The chips are going to need wetsanding and multiple layers of paint and clearcoat and I`m not comfortable doing that myself. At least the chips are only on the hood so I`ll be able to correct and coat the rest of the car, and do the hood after the repairs have had time to cure.

One last thing, for HPC would you still recommend the Lake County applicator over the Autofiber coating saver applicators? It would be really nice if Autofiber would sell smaller quantities as I really don`t need 12 of them. I do have some Gtechniq AP2 applicators I bought to use to apply C5 wheel armor. They`re on the small side but I`ll have a few left over after I coat my wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

One last thing, for HPC would you still recommend the Lake County applicator over the Autofiber coating saver applicators? It would be really nice if Autofiber would sell smaller quantities as I really don`t need 12 of them. I do have some Gtechniq AP2 applicators I bought to use to apply C5 wheel armor. They`re on the small side but I`ll have a few left over after I coat my wheels.
    Definately the Autofiber applicators, 3 x 5 thin are nice. Used to use the Mini`s but thin 3 x 5 work better for me. Seem to get excellent coverage with less product use.

AP2 applicators look interesting, never noticed those before.
    Likes Gridlink, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

HPC is nice to work with. User friendly. But yes the downside to 22ple coatings is the long wait time between coats. 22ple told me 8-12 hours between coatings. Their new coating Insanity is also really nice. Side by side you won`t notice much difference between a majority of coatings on light paint. Insanity is just as easy to use as HPC. Supposed to be their most durable coating in their consumer line.

Adams UV coating is a nice coating to work with as well. The nice feature about it is the UV characteristic seen by the UV light. This aids in seeing where the coating has been applied on light colored paints. One thing I like about this coating is the slickness from it. It is definitely noticeable even after it cures unlike most coatings. HPC and Insanity feel tacky like most coatings. FYI the coating is not made by them but blended for them by the folks that blend Jade coatings.

I have a review on comparing these coatings against each other. You will see how coatings look on silver paint on how they all look similar to the naked eye. I also have a review on the Adams UV coating.

DI is having a 25% sale so it is a good time to get 22ple.

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Review - Adams UV Ceramic Paint and Spray Coating

Thanks. I may end up going with HPC then. White is a hard color to get to really pop so going with a really glossy coating might be best solution. I suppose Miyabi could be another option too, but if HPC is longer lasting and just as glossy I think that`s still better for my needs.

I need to get some paint chips repaired before I can do the paint correction and apply whatever coating I go with. Due to the depth of some of the chips and the paint being a tri-coat metallic I may get it done professionally by a local detailer who I used before I became an enthusiast myself. The chips are going to need wetsanding and multiple layers of paint and clearcoat and I`m not comfortable doing that myself. At least the chips are only on the hood so I`ll be able to correct and coat the rest of the car, and do the hood after the repairs have had time to cure.

Autofiber all day as budget stated. If you don`t want to invest in them then get yourself some of the larger rag company butter soft suede applicators and make your own to fit on an applicator block (ie carpro). Those Gtechniq applicators are nice but they seem to leave a little lint behind. They are not bad though. They would work since you already have them.

Also the gloss you will get will come from polishing. The coating is not going to add much to the look on white paint in my experience. I have coated my silver Grand Prix and my white Camaro with various coatings.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Third on the Autofibers. Like budget the 3x5 thins worked better than the mini for me. Gets under door handles and spoilers easier too.

I thought the same as you about the amount but now use them to apply everything. Toppers, sealants, wheel coatings and sealants, interiors

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Budget

I`ve asked a similar question to Guz.

Would you recommend Kamikaze, CQuartz or SPS for....

1. protect paintwork against the marring a Noah fully fitted cover might cause (I`ve got to use the cover, mainly for security).

2. Self cleaning. To make washing pre putting the cover on as quick as possible.

Just wondered what your thoughts would be on which is best?

Lastly, as I`m in the UK, do you happen to know if SPS Graphene and ArtDeShine Graphene, are the same thing?

Thanks very much
    R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rossyl View Post
    Hi Budget

I`ve asked a similar question to Guz.

Would you recommend Kamikaze, CQuartz or SPS for....

1. protect paintwork against the marring a Noah fully fitted cover might cause (I`ve got to use the cover, mainly for security).

2. Self cleaning. To make washing pre putting the cover on as quick as possible.

Just wondered what your thoughts would be on which is best?

Lastly, as I`m in the UK, do you happen to know if SPS Graphene and ArtDeShine Graphene, are the same thing?

Thanks very much
    R
    1. Nothing will really give much protection against marring unfortunately. Kami Zipang *MAY* offer a bit of remediation w its limited swirl reducing properties but only for very light stuff.

2. Best self cleaning characteristics of any I`ve used is a Kamikaze coating maintained with Overcoat.

3. To the best of my knowledge, the Art d Shine graphene is the same as SPS over here in the states. Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much.

I`m surprised as I had thought that SPS was outperforming Kamikaze.

The cover will be fitted, so will hopefully limit the marring a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rossyl View Post
    Thanks very much.

I`m surprised as I had thought that SPS was outperforming Kamikaze.

The cover will be fitted, so will hopefully limit the marring a little.
    While SPS is doing *very* well so far, it just hasn`t been long enough to say it`ll be a long-term winner in my world. I`ve been messing around with the Kami stuff since 10/2016 and I KNOW it meets my needs. Additionally, the Kami stuff has a little more flexibility w/ regards to the aesthetic aspects, notably on darker and metallic colors. Due to it`s overt brilliance, the SPS may be a good choice for a lighter colored car but again, too soon to tell.

For 2 out of 4 of our cars (one is full PPF so no real coating on it aside from a film surface coating), the Kami will likely get greater proven longevity...guessing 3-5 years as the cars will be used `normally` in comparison to my 22k a year, 95% freeway driver. I think the SPS expectations are 2 years hydrophobic longevity while I`ve seen the Kami go longer in real life usage of 5-10k miles a year, even on a car that sits outside 24/7 on a heavily wooded lot. And trees not only mean leaves, seed pods, pollen and such but since birds also occasionally hang out in those trees, it means bird bombs as well.

I think the SPS may do extremely well on our seasonal vans at work as it has a tendency to look very clean even when slightly soiled so that`d certainly be a plus in that situation.

At the end of the day some intangible aspects also play into my favoritism of Kamikaze, stupid as it may sound; there`s an emotional attachment to it as well. I like the mfg philosophy, I occasionally get to meet and talk with the guy who invented/produces it, the US vendor has become a great all-around resource for me, the ease of use and it was one of the first `real` coatings I`ve used...and the stuff just plain works for the way I like my cars to look, the way I like to maintain them and how they are used. I`ve met a lot of great people, seen a lot of really cool-to-me stuff and just had a ton of fun since running across Kamikaze. And as mentioned, it just plain works best for me.

As with anything, YMMV
    Likes HCF liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

1. Nothing will really give much protection against marring unfortunately.
    What about 22ple Finitura with it`s unrealistic claim of "Finitura will improve scratch resistance of glass coatings by over 500%." This is not meant to be taken seriously but it just popped into my head.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What about 22ple Finitura with it`s unrealistic claim of "Finitura will improve scratch resistance of glass coatings by over 500%." This is not meant to be taken seriously but it just popped into my head.
    I still wonder if that`s a typo given the large number

But then it appears that 22ple (whoever or whatever they are) can be pretty impressed with themselves at times. Nice products, though...as far as coatings go.

That Finitura...still don`t know what to make of it.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread Information