Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Title is kinda `ironical`, no? Doh!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    It’s like rain on your wedding day? No more like no rain ever after your coating day....

Alanis musta owned a black coated car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating w/ no real prep...

Wiped down w/ heavy and then light application of IGL Pre-Clean then just started to coat. Obviously defects abound, truck was last *correctly* prepped and coated with Gyeon Mohs in Autumn 2016.

Budget, 3+ years later, did you feel the original coating was still on job or mostly done at this point in time?

Thanks.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Budget, 3+ years later, did you feel the original coating was still on job or mostly done at this point in time?

Thanks.
    Looking back thru my notes (and a great example of why I need to write stuff down) I was a bit off on the history of this one.

"Ranger 6: Gyeon Mohs + Cure applied 02/2017; wash, decon Gyeon CanCoat refresh 10/2017"

Was an unusually warm few days in February so I pulled a vehicle, brought it home and did it. Yep, prepped and coated a vehicle outside, in the middle of February, in NE Ohio. I actually recall now having to do Iron decon in the shade under a tree cuz the sun was too bright and warm that day. 2017 musta been a nice Winter.

I think this vehicle also musta been my first use of CanCoat: Gyeon CanCoat

These were my impressions about 8 months after initial application, when I dropped the CanCoat on it: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Mohs was a solid but visually unexciting product in and of itself. I think it`s kinda like Gtech CSL, kinda more hydrophillic than hydrophobic. Hard to say it was `gone` after nearly 3 years but I`d imagine it was, or at least its hydrophobic elements were toast.

I got the idea to do this yesterday after taking the truck in to get some new tires. Driving back to shop I noticed how relatively clean and shiny the hood looked, figured this one was in decent enough shape to try something quick and easy on...so I did. Is that a testament to Mohs still being there, I dunno. Have a `gut` feeling it was gone though.

Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting project to follow.

Don`t know what IGL Prep is based on. But something like the Gtechnic Panel Prep or a Wax and Grease Remover used to prep wipe with to get more off the accumulated road film off which usually is mostly oil based. Would have been interesting to see how it would prep the paint. Maybe the IGL desolved much of it or maybe the goal was not to get it as clean as possible with a chemical decon. The solvent carriers is usually very strong in coatings generally speaking. Will be very interesting to hear how you experience the results from this testing.

Happy New Year budgetplan!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Another interesting project to follow.

Don`t know what IGL Prep is based on. But something like the Gtechnic Panel Prep or a Wax and Grease Remover used to prep wipe with to get more off the accumulated road film off which usually is mostly oil based. Would have been interesting to see how it would prep the paint. Maybe the IGL desolved much of it or maybe the goal was not to get it as clean as possible with a chemical decon. The solvent carriers is usually very strong in coatings generally speaking. Will be very interesting to hear how you experience the results from this testing.

Happy New Year budgetplan!

/ Tony
    It`s their citrus-based panel wipe: https://www.autopia-carcare.com/igl-...l#.XguU-4lOk0M

It`s ok but I`m in a Kleen-Strip, CarPro Eraser phase right now, just trying to use the IGL up...not a big fan.

Was using Gtech Panel Wipe for a bit, that stuff may be *too* strong. Have heard some mention of it possibly swelling paint? Who knows...heard it in the Interwebs I`m sure and ya know how that goes. I got tired of it evaporating on surface so quickly...large anounts of alcohol in it I think.

Also wandered past the Van I did in CarPro Cquartz TiO2/Classic in January 2017. Looked good, think guy had taken it thru touchless tunnel before parking inside last Friday. Wiped it down with IGL Precoat as well, went over it with Gyeon CanCoat. Always looks good, figure a little boost to give it a bit more pop this coming season.

This Cquartz was a quiet but excellent performer given conditions, usage and maint. I`d like to try a base of UK 3 w topcoat of TiO2 sometime...

Still have the 4 new trucks to do...lotta Race Red paint to cover!

Happy New Year to you as well!

Likes tom p., SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say it was `gone` after nearly 3 years but I`d imagine it was, or at least its hydrophobic elements were toast.

Is that a testament to Mohs still being there, I dunno. Have a `gut` feeling it was gone though.
    Thanks, @BudgetPlan1. I`m just trying to keep closer track of what lasts and what doesn`t. Nothing wrong with 3 years, from my perspective! The only product I can honestly track for an extended period is CQuartz UK. That product seems up to the challenge.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Thanks, @BudgetPlan1. I`m just trying to keep closer track of what lasts and what doesn`t. Nothing wrong with 3 years, from my perspective! The only product I can honestly track for an extended period is CQuartz UK. That product seems up to the challenge.
    Having an easily accessible fleet of `rolling test panels` helps. Especially when doing some, uh, questionable things you wouldn`t dare do to your personal cars!

Overall, I found Mohs to be `Ok`...definately needs something on top like CanCoat. It`s kinda boring on it`s own, both aesthetically and functionally. I`d rather use Gtech CSL if I wanted something of that nature to use as a base...its more entertaining to apply and has a bit of a richer look. CSL + CanCoat had a very nice look.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

IGL is D-limone based, panel wipe is I read somewhere is mixture of solvents and not the norm alcohol based
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    IGL is D-limone based, panel wipe is I read somewhere is mixture of solvents and not the norm alcohol based
    Yeah, whole place smelled like a fruit farm after using it. Probably went a little heavy on application Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

I remember first trying it before coating a black car, didn`t much care for it. Don`t tell the IGL crowd though...
    Likes William_Wallace, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

hey man love how you have the freedom and cash flow to polish a bunch of cars and try a lot of coatings wish i could do the same. your page on coatings and graphene was an excellent read! was wondering what do you think of the gtechniq w4? does it do anything? i recently ordered one and wanted to give it a try and was wondering your thoughts on his type of addition to the wash process. worth the extra dough? thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    hey man love how you have the freedom and cash flow to polish a bunch of cars and try a lot of coatings wish i could do the same. your page on coatings and graphene was an excellent read! was wondering what do you think of the gtechniq w4? does it do anything? i recently ordered one and wanted to give it a try and was wondering your thoughts on his type of addition to the wash process. worth the extra dough? thanks!
    `Tis my good fortune to work for a seasonal company w a fleet of vehicles and an owner who digs his vehicles being clean and shiny. Not much to do in Winter so if I spend my days polishing/coating vans, they`re more than happy to indulge me. Having a heated warehouse to work in is pretty cool too.

I started using Gtech W4 Citrus Foam last Spring and really like it. I *think* it has a bit more cleaning muscle than something like Gyeon Foam...but who knows for sure.

Even our daily drivers that sit outside 24/7 stay pretty clean so it`s not like I`m doing heavy cleaning during washes. I use it during Spring/Summer/Fall on our outdoor cars; indoor `fun` cars I just usually foam with regular shampoo (Gyeon Bathe, CarPro Reset, Kamikaze)...they certainly don`t need any extra cleaning power so no need for any extra `oomph` W4 might provide.

Shooting it all thru a PF22 cannon, SunJoe 3001 pressure washer, MTM shortie gun.

Who knows if it really makes any real difference w the different foams/shampoos...just kinda accumulated em all and it takes longer than I thought to use `em up. I don`t really like washing cars so much so I do it as little as possible.

It is fun, though...Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Likes SWETM, quebert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another year, another couple of red trucks.

Did one yesterday `just for me` but notable differences for me that were helpful:

1. Used 20 x 40 Platinum Pluffle`s for prep wipedown (really liking Eraser these days). Much quicker than using smaller towels, can really hose the paint down and quickly clean it up with these bigger `drying` towels. Nice.

2. While I usually use the `mini` Coating Saver applicators, tried the 3x5 thin Coating Savers this time. Coatings spread out much more nicely, evenly and coating seemed to go farther. For base coat of Miyabi used 20ml for entire truck (2020 Ford Transit E250, no windows) aside from roof (used ISM 2.0 for that).

Nice changes for me that made for a more pleasurable application.
    Likes Coleroad, JustJesus, tom p., Loach liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done, budget
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another year, another couple of red trucks.

Did one yesterday `just for me` but notable differences for me that were helpful:

1. Used 20 x 40 Platinum Pluffle`s for prep wipedown (really liking Eraser these days). Much quicker than using smaller towels, can really hose the paint down and quickly clean it up with these bigger `drying` towels. Nice.

2. While I usually use the `mini` Coating Saver applicators, tried the 3x5 thin Coating Savers this time. Coatings spread out much more nicely, evenly and coating seemed to go farther. For base coat of Miyabi used 20ml for entire truck (2020 Ford Transit E250, no windows) aside from roof (used ISM 2.0 for that).

Nice changes for me that made for a more pleasurable application.

I’m digging the 3x5 Savers for all topper applications. I used the 3x5 on my car when applying Cquartz and a friends a month with the mini’s and i think the 3x5 work better. Covers more area and easier to get under door handles.

I wasn’t sure of what to do with my pluffles now that i only use PFM’s or air to dry my car. Their really nice for wet application of OC and Cosmic. Been using them alot more lately and think I’m going to try out the 16x16’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Last one for this Winter (4 this year), SPS Graphene. It`s done well on my personal car since May of 2019, a bright reflective gloss that seems to visually `burn thru` any light dirt on surface...maybe just the ticket for something you want always looking good from 2 feet away.

Aside from my new-found affinity for the thin 3x5 coating saver applicators and using a Platinum Pluffle for large-panel CarPro Eraser wipedowns, this year also notable to me for leaving the Flex 3401 at home and doing this all with Rupes 15 Mk2, BOSS21 and Rupes Mini. All polishing done w/ Sonax Perfect Finish, yellow Rupes pads, 4 passes, 10-15# pressure. Easiest & quickest polishing since I started this nonsense. While the vehicles are new, our decal guy leaves plenty of marks from his blue, plastic squeegee so there were some medium scratches here and there and lighter scratches everywhere.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-sps-2020.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Loach, The Guz, DetailZeus liked this post

Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread Information