Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Heading off to Russiandl...provided he`s not actually *in* Russia...that would be some nutty shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Russiandl View Post
    PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Russiandl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not to get off hand but I have unused bottle of 50 ml cquk3. It’s kit with eraser and reload. Also have unused bottle of dr Beasley’s plasma coat with advanced coat gloss topper. Looking to trade for some 22ple or kamikaze (ism or miyabi). Have a mustang convertible and looking for enough to coat at least twice. Sorry for posting here but figured all the sio2 junkies visit this post. Please don’t reply in post. PM me.

Thanks and sorry again,

Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since I will be coating my truck again soon, I had a question about doing the process outdoors -

When I did it the first time, I was able to get everything done in a day. But with the plan to use 22PLE HPC, it wont be possible (need at least 24 hours set time, plus I want to do 2 coats).

The issue is that my truck does not fit in my garage...its too tall. I do have a large tent (large enough to fit my truck in), that also has zip up side and end panels.

Question is - could I coat it inside there, close the zip panels and leave it? Since Ill be doing it during warm (or hot) weather, would condensation be an issue inside with the truck there overnight?

Or should I just beg/borrow/steal a garage that my truck can fit into?

Thanks.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I`d definitely try to scare up a garage to do it in if at all possible, the morning condensation *might* cause some issues. I`ve never done it outside so can`t comment from actual experience but if doing 2 coats, it`s gonna prefer as much `dryness` as it can get. That`s one of the downers of 22ple stuff.

The 24hr between coats is from 22ple themselves on one of the rare times I got thru to them via a Facebook message but the Detailed Image application instructions note 12hrs. I dunno, really...

Application Instructions:
    Prior to coating, always prepare paint by polishing to perfection. Remove any polish residue with a thorough wash followed by an IPA wipe down to remove any remaining oily residue.
    Stir the content well prior to use
    Apply a few drops of HPC onto a 22ple Glass Coat Applicator and proceed to apply it onto the paint work in a straight line motion, taking care that the application covers all areas without leaving gaps.
    Allow approximately 3 minutes of dwell time (at 25 degrees C / 77 degrees F) or slightly longer in colder (below 20 degrees C / 68 degrees F) ambient temperature. Wait for the freshly coated surface to hazed up before removing the glass coat softly with the microfiber towel.
    It is highly recommended to cure the surface under infra-red curing lamp.
    If you choose to cure the glass coat under infra-red curing lamp, we recommend the following settings: Set temperature at 65 degrees C / 150 degrees F, cure for between 6 to 8 minutes from a distance of around 2 feet.
    7. Under ambient curing, allowed approx. 2 hours to settle, then finished off with spray of VS1 Final Coat to complete the application workflow.
    8. For infra-red curing, you may apply VS1 Final Coat once the surface has cooled down to ambient temperature. Do not apply VS1 Final Coat while the surface is still warm.

Durability: 3 ~ 4 years
    Recommended: 2 ~ 3 layers, 12 hours apart
    Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post
    Since I will be coating my truck again soon, I had a question about doing the process outdoors -

When I did it the first time, I was able to get everything done in a day. But with the plan to use 22PLE HPC, it wont be possible (need at least 24 hours set time, plus I want to do 2 coats).

The issue is that my truck does not fit in my garage...its too tall. I do have a large tent (large enough to fit my truck in), that also has zip up side and end panels.

Question is - could I coat it inside there, close the zip panels and leave it? Since Ill be doing it during warm (or hot) weather, would condensation be an issue inside with the truck there overnight?

Thanks.

-Chris
    Thanks chris03tl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....as much as I dont want to hear it I think thats the right way to go.

I even had plans to raise the height of my garage opening, planned on doing it later this year but might need to move the plans up to make it sooner. Its actually not too hard from what I can see, other than needing all new garage doors ;(

Post Thanks / Like

How far off is your truck from clearing? I`ve heard more than once of people dropping the tires down to 10psi to creep their truck in the garage, then pumping them back up once it`s in/out.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    How far off is your truck from clearing? I`ve heard more than once of people dropping the tires down to 10psi to creep their truck in the garage, then pumping them back up once it`s in/out.
    Thought about that. Haven`t tested it but wasn`t sure if I would gain enough.

I think the opening is 2-3" short but have not measured precisely yet. Not quite sure I could gain that much with less air in tires.

Also don`t want to risk popping beads.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Check with were you bought the tires on if it’s ok to do. Inflate once in while working. Deflate again to take out

Post Thanks / Like

Finally have something to add to this thread...just did my first full vehicle coating (I`d only done a set of wheels previously). I used GTechniq Halo on Oracal 970RA vinyl and Hexis Bodyfence PPF. The car was just wrapped, so prep was minimal with a quick 30% IPA wipe per the instructions, and application overall was very easy. I started a timer at the beginning of the first coat in order to ensure that I was at least an hour in before starting round 2. The whole car took me exactly an hour and 15 minutes, so after a quick break to grab some water I applied coat #2. Overall I think it went well and I`m curious to see how long it lasts and what experiences others may have with it over the next year or two. I`ll try to remember to update every 3-6 mos.

Random side note, in the "how to" video with the GTechniq rep applying to Yiannimize` Lambo, the guy was REALLY soaking his applicator...it seems like a wasteful amount, honestly.
    https://youtu.be/fMXW5NGf3d0?t=109
    Curious if anyone else agrees/disagrees? I bought the 50ml bottle and I was trying to apply it somewhat liberally but also trying to ensure I had enough to complete two full coats. In the end used about 80-90% of it so there was a little leftover...
    Likes rlmccarty2000, SWETM, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post

Thanks.

-Chris
    Chris where do you live? It’s hard to give advice without knowing your climate. It’s different in Florida vs California. The humidity levels are very important. I haven’t used any 22PLE products so I can’t give specific advice base on that coating. Every coating is different. I have coated two vehicles out doors with no problems but both coatings I used flashed quickly and I did it on a day with low humidity which decreases cure time.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, started consolidating the notes I was keeping in a variety of places (phone, Home PC, Work PC, etc) and stuffed `em all in one place; was getting hard to keep track of updating/referring to notes in a numerous places.

https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...amic-coatings/
    Likes 340mopars, ExplicitDetail liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good write up and notes!!
    I just ordered me MIYABI Coat/Zipang, cannot wait to do my truck this weekend with it! My last truck had the Miyabi/ISM combo and I loved it--this stuff is so easy to work with....Also going to try out Gyeon Q2 Leather-Shield for my interior!

**So in-between layers--is 1 hour enough time to dry, truck will be in a hanger with very low humidity and around 70 degrees
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Good write up and notes!!
    I just ordered me MIYABI Coat/Zipang, cannot wait to do my truck this weekend with it! My last truck had the Miyabi/ISM combo and I loved it--this stuff is so easy to work with....Also going to try out Gyeon Q2 Leather-Shield for my interior!

**So in-between layers--is 1 hour enough time to dry, truck will be in a hanger with very low humidity and around 70 degrees
    Generally an 1 to 1.5hrs is what I do. Usually takes me about an hour to apply a coat anyway so I`ll give it a bit more time and then start again at the `beginning` and do another layer.

Some times I don`t have time to do all 3 layers of Miyabi/ISM so ISM will get done the next day. Dunno if that holds for Zipang though...might wanna ask the vendor if all 3 need to be done in a single session if doing Zipang-Miyabi-Zipang.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all day and night--so I will get all 3 layers done before it leaves the hanger!!
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Chris where do you live? It’s hard to give advice without knowing your climate. It’s different in Florida vs California. The humidity levels are very important. I haven’t used any 22PLE products so I can’t give specific advice base on that coating. Every coating is different. I have coated two vehicles out doors with no problems but both coatings I used flashed quickly and I did it on a day with low humidity which decreases cure time.
    I`m in Connecticut. Our weather can be wacky even from one summer day to another.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread Information