Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Could always look into CarPro Skin or GTechniq Halo which are new and designed to work with PPF.

Then there is Gyeon’s new PPF polish.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Could always look into CarPro Skin or GTechniq Halo which are new and designed to work with PPF.

Then there is Gyeon’s new PPF polish.
    Will definately be watching how those do as they are used and reviewed. From what I`ve been able to gather (with no definitive substantiation) some PPF mfg`s do have specific polishes meant for light `refreshing` of PPF.

Post Thanks / Like

And we`re off...

Kamikaze Banzai Dynamics Rosso Polishing Pad on a Kamikaze Beast Backing Plate w/ Rupes 15 Mk2
    Kamikaze Banzai Cut Compound
    Kamikaze Ichiban Finish Polish

Figr`d may as well go all Kamikaze for the vehicle getting Miyabi + Zipang.

Ichiban + the Rosso pad wasn`t digging out all the distress inflicted by dealer-wash-boy on this new vehicle (Race Red Ford Transit Connect) but a 2 small drops of Banzai Cut & 2 small drops of Ichiban do quite a nice job. The Banzai cut can dry out and go all M105-ish if worked excessively long (stick to paint a bit), the Ichiban is a joy to work with and the combo is nicely in the middle. Little bit of dusting due to the Banzai but nothing overwhelming.

I think this is the first time I`ve picked up a machine since mid-July.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-kami_banzai_ichiban.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

So I applied zipang to a couple of cars. I did the 3 layer miyabi/zipang sandwich on one car and will be coating a third vehicle soon. Besides being extra paranoid about tipping the bottle over, the application and removal of zipang is identical to ISM. I`ll post some photos when I have more time.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    So I applied zipang to a couple of cars. I did the 3 layer miyabi/zipang sandwich on one car and will be coating a third vehicle soon. Besides being extra paranoid about tipping the bottle over, the application and removal of zipang is identical to ISM. I`ll post some photos when I have more time.
    Gonna inflict some `test scratches` to the car to see how the Zipang `limited self-healing works`?

Hopefully I`ll be dropping 1 coat of Miyabi + 1 of Zipang on a new van at work next week, gonna do an interior panel as well and inflict a variety of defects to how well (if at all) it works. Suppose a hair dryer will reach the 100 degrees necessary to begin the healing process or will it require a dedicated heat gun?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Gonna inflict some `test scratches` to the car to see how the Zipang `limited self-healing works`?

Hopefully I`ll be dropping 1 coat of Miyabi + 1 of Zipang on a new van at work next week, gonna do an interior panel as well and inflict a variety of defects to how well (if at all) it works. Suppose a hair dryer will reach the 100 degrees necessary to begin the healing process or will it require a dedicated heat gun?
    Definitely, I`ll try it on my car next week. I`m curious to find out how much more effective the sandwich combo is vs zipang alone. Any predictions on the results? Lol. At the very least it might help people decide

Post Thanks / Like

How did Zipang alone do?
    Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Definitely, I`ll try it on my car next week. I`m curious to find out how much more effective the sandwich combo is vs zipang alone. Any predictions on the results? Lol. At the very least it might help people decide

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t done any scratch tests yet since they aren`t my cars.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

And now for something a bit different...

...for me anyway.

Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-fk1000p.jpg

Beat up hood, little time to kill this morning.

Kamikaze Banzai Cut w/ BOSS Microfiber w/ BOSS21/Rupes 15 Mk 2 (BOSS21 stopped working halfway thru)
    Megs M210 w/ Rupes yellow w Rupes 15 Mk2

Banzai Cut: For whatever reason, 1st time I tried this stuff it was kinda M105-ish in that it was a bit of a pain to remove residue. I worked it a bit longer and made sure not to leave and `dry edges` of each section, wiped off smooth and clean as can be, smoother even than some HD/3D products which are always so nice to use. Very, very minimal dust, solid cut but a bit less than something like M101 or D300. Maybe along the lines of GG Fast Correcting Creme as far as cut goes but easier wipe off. Given my initial, quick try with it I was really quite surprised how it seemed to do a 180 w/ respect to removal...easiest compound/polish removal of any liquid I have tried..weird. All kinda academic, though...at $40 for 250ml definitely not a practical item to use frequently. Finished out quite nicely as well, pretty surprising.

M210: Very, very nice and smooth running w/ a Rupes yellow pad. Finished out quite nicely given the somewhat abused hood. Can work with it a long time, although a very little bit of dust appeared towards the end on the section I ran 8 passes on just to see what would happen. Much smoother than M205 and less messy for sure. Works almost like a DAT compound as opposed to a dusty `ol SMAT. Quite a nice experience on this initial try. Will be using on an entire vehicle soon so we`ll see if it continues to be so nice to use.

FK1000p: Just hadda give this a try, 25% off w/ free shipping made it a no-brainer. Easier for me to use than Collinite 915, even though I likely applied it waaaay to heavy with a red foam applicator pad. Let it set for about an hour in a 55 degree warehouse at which point it seemed ready for removal. Was easily removed, effort-wise but did require some extra wiping as it was kinda `smeary`; definitely a 2 towel removal item. Used a CarPro 2 Face (No Lint) for initial wipe, then Eagle Edgeless 500 to clean up remaining residue/haze...very nice. Surface is shiny and slick although not the slickest I`ve ever felt. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to rest of NE Ohio Winter as this vehicle will be out and about daily.
    Likes nickclark08, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Syncro update

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m going to follow up on this post here as I don’t have a long term testing thread.

IGL Ecocoat Premier is still going remarkably strong after about 8 weeks. I’m amazed. I waterless washed the roof of my test subject and the panel beaded like I had just applied Premier. It looks as if it could go another 2 months easily. This is about the only detailing product I have purchased that might live up to the manufacturers 6 month claim. The test panel hasn’t been babied either. We have had day after day of rain over the test period and it’s still holding up. This makes me want to try other IGL products.
    My continuing followup on IGL Ecocoat Premier and Kamikaze Overcoat. Both are holding up very well. They both feel slick/plasticky and beading is strong. I’m still impressed by both. The car has been though a touchless wash once and hand washed once. For spray on and wipe off products it’s pretty amazing. Both look like they could last months longer. Now I’m wondering which product will quit first.
    Likes glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What date did you apply it?

Post Thanks / Like

Ran across the truck I used Gyeon Mohs x 2 with Gyeon Booster. Applied 11/2017, about 8700 miles ago. Hood is laying a bit flatter but sides are still nice.

Little blast of air still moves the beads clear relatively nicely.
    Likes The Guz, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 2018 I did the miyabi/ism coating on my truck (white) and loved the way it went on and worked----Fast forward to now, I have a New 2019 Limited F150 (Platinum white) now there is the new Kamikaze products out and was wanting you opinion on the 3 layer Zipang/Miyabi/Zipang combo as they state thats the best protection plan! Considering the cost of the Zipang, is it that much better then the ISM---Im really digging the Self healing feature!
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Back in 2018 I did the miyabi/ism coating on my truck (white) and loved the way it went on and worked----Fast forward to now, I have a New 2019 Limited F150 (Platinum white) now there is the new Kamikaze products out and was wanting you opinion on the 3 layer Zipang/Miyabi/Zipang combo as they state thats the best protection plan! Considering the cost of the Zipang, is it that much better then the ISM---Im really digging the Self healing feature!
    I`ve only got 2 weeks on the vehicle I used Zipang on...and it hasn`t experienced the outside world yet. However, when considering the specifics mentioned in the product description, I`d say it`s right on the mark. Notice that they don`t claim `self healing` as that is an important distinction to keep expectations in line:

Sticking with KAMIKAZE-Collection’s traditional development processes, Zipang Coat was created with ease of use in mind. This ease of use, along with the highest levels of performance, are what have made the KAMIKAZE coatings so popular with both the professional detailer and detailing enthusiasts alike.
    With Zipang Coat, the chemistry provides even higher levels of gloss and brilliance than their ISM / ISM Pro coatings, and it offers semi self-healing characteristics, meaning that the appearance of small swirls or imperfections in the coating surface will reduce when exposed to heat.
    For those looking for the ultimate in coating protection, we recommend Zipang Coat for its unmatched looks, hydrophobicity, ease of use, and semi self-healing technology. Durability is rated at 5+ years. Zipang Coat also provides a darkening effect to the paint (blacks will be deeper black, richer reds, etc), and has the ability to lightly fill small imperfections in the paint.
    Section of paint I swirled up by drying it using an old, terry-cloth shop rag:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-zipang_swirl.jpg

Same section after applying heat from a heat gun:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-zipang_heal.jpg

Heat gun, point and shoot thermometer and shop rag I used to dry the surface:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-zipang_tool.jpg

This was the mid-level Miyabi base + Zipang on top, not the full `sandwich deal`. I did do the hood of another vehicle with leftovers on the full Zipang-Miyabi-Zipang deal but the driver of that van took it out 3 days after application and blew the transmission up. Not sure we`ll be getting that one back so testing on that might be outta the question; might just replace the truck.

Strangely, after I took the above pics (last Friday) I looked at the same spot with all of the Scangrip lights this morning and the defects had diminished to the point where I really had to look closely to find any evidence; it was quite puzzling, actually.

Based upon what I`ve seen so far, along with the increased longevity, I`ll be in on the Zipang-Miyabi-Zipang this Spring. Given the added longevity and ability to diminish swirls, I`ll get an extra year or so vs the base Miaybi + ISM so the initial cost, while still higher, will be somewhat offset over the expected lifespan. There`s no way in heck my car will make it to 5 years cuz that`ll be about 80K HARD miles but my wife`s winter car will easily hit 5 years without needing to be re-done. Of course, this is based on assumptions that are really far too soon to be proven but it`s what I `think`...which admittedly often turns out to be my own personal fantasies. One can hope, though.

This thing certainly has to be the best protected fleet vehicle in NE Ohio.
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-connect_zipang.jpg
    Likes SWETM, glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thats really amazing seeing the diff with just a heat gun lol---I will def go that route!
    2018 F-150 "Limited"
    2008 BMW 335IX

Page 25 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread Information