Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Dang shiny bro ! THanks for the update Kurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It held up quite well; a few scratches here and there (as to be expected by a working van) but overall the 22ple still looked great and was staying cleaner with no washings in 10 months. Definitely a solid product if gloss and self-cleaning characteristics are desired. Also one of the most forgiving application processes I`ve used, nearly sealant-like, bizarre but pretty close to mindeless application. I remember when I applied it, did the whole entire side of the van then went back and buffed off with no problem.

Was pretty impressed with the glass-coat clay as well, really left no marks and it cleaned up the surface better than a chemical decon does.

22ple is kind of an enigmatic company, very limited exposure (no website even) but the stuff really works well.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Dang shiny bro ! THanks for the update Kurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Last van...hopefully

Was gonna use the Nanolex Si3D on it but the application for that is a bit different, thought it looked like a little bit of time. Essentially, apply in 18"x18" sections or perhaps a bit larger and then keep moving applicator in crosshatch pattern until coating/residue is all dried up, then buff.

Nanolex Si3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sTPs-0lr4I

Kinda looked like a lot of work to me. Since I always keep a set of Kamikaze around, figr`d "Why not...coat of Miyabi + coat of ISM, maybe tomorrow some Infinity Wax and then Overcoat. I should be home at a decent hour today." Kinda forgot how far Miyabi can go so now not getting home so early after all. Roof is done yesterday with McKees V2 that I`m gonna top with HydroSilex Recharge so only hadda do sides, hood, etc. At 60 degrees F Miyabi has around 10-12 minute window, sometimes longer so I was applying to half of entire side of van, sitting down for a few minutes and then buffing off.

Vehicle:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-van1.jpg

30ml bottle after 1st coat (except the roof)
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...-miyabi.jpg

Kinda a mixed blessing...can do second coat but gonna be here 3hrs longer than expected...again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SWETM, Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget

Those work vans will present a great company image to the customer, nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Of the coatings you have used which has gone farthest and which has been the most amount of product? Maybe not easy to say when some need/could 2 layers to reach the claimed longevity. But the ones that stands out in both ends. Then you have the price also to consider. Interesting in the coatings you can apply several cars with the least amount of product. Then those you have to really consider if getting a 30ml or 50ml bottle when haveing a larger car. Think that this can be usefull for some with larger car or/and multible cars.

I have seen that video about applying nanolex coating and is a little more effort to it. Think that cquarts UK has a simualar application but could be wrong. Hope you get home as soon as possible and the application runs smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

The products that seemed to go the farthest have been Kamikaze Miyabi and 22ple HPC. I think in a general sense, the ones that go the farthest are those with the largest, most forgiving application window (a class into which Miyabi and 22ple fall). Didn`t present itself as much when I was solely using the foam block/microsuede applicator cloths (included with most kits) but when I started using the foam block/microFIBER applicator cloths, product usage seems to be extended. Those cloths seem to hold product in a more usable state between panels, especially with those coatings that don`t flash quickly. When using things that flash especially quick, like Gyeon Skin, Gyeon Booster and Feynlab TopCoat, I usually switch back to the microsuede applicator cloths and that seems to work better for those kinds of products.

The microfiber applicator cloths are also excellent in dusty/lint filled environments, more so than microsuede ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Of the coatings you have used which has gone farthest and which has been the most amount of product? Maybe not easy to say when some need/could 2 layers to reach the claimed longevity. But the ones that stands out in both ends. Then you have the price also to consider. Interesting in the coatings you can apply several cars with the least amount of product. Then those you have to really consider if getting a 30ml or 50ml bottle when haveing a larger car. Think that this can be usefull for some with larger car or/and multible cars.

I have seen that video about applying nanolex coating and is a little more effort to it. Think that cquarts UK has a simualar application but could be wrong. Hope you get home as soon as possible and the application runs smooth.
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Budget,

Your reviews got me to try the Myabi and I am sold on this product. I have been thinking of trying the rim coat. So far, I have only used Carpro Dlux which I have been happy with but the application is not as nice as what I have experienced with Kamikaze. My problem is that the rim coat is expensive if just doing 4 wheels. It would be fine if the unused portion could store for awhile to use it later on other cars but it sounds like you only have about a month after opening the bottle. Does anyone know if vacuum sealing the bottle would extend the life? I was thinking of using one of those food storage sealers. Leave the bottle cap loose while vacuum sealing the bag and then tighten the bottle cap from outside the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like the Miyabi; such an easy product to use. Are you topping with Overcoat? Sometimes I wonder if Overcoat is the key to the overall performance of Kamikaze stuff as far as hydrophobics go.

As for Stance, it is a bit $$ compared to something like Gyeon Rim but it applies so easy and goes so far (especially when applied with a cut up red foam applicator). I would think vacuum sealing certainly couldn`t hurt but I`ve kept the opened bottle for nearly six months (finally used it all up) with no detrimental effects. I think I first used it around June of 2017 and finally finished up the bottle in late November 2017 and it still worked just fine.

So far the only Kamikaze product I didn`t really like was their Intenso Window Coating; had to order from UK and it shed water like nobody`s business but things like bug strikes in dry weather would leave little 2" trails that were kinda hard to remove; wipers and a squirt of washer fluid wouldn`t budge `em, took some elbow grease and glass cleaner.

Intenso: https://youtu.be/qmyO3O9xMaY

But again, Stance lasted at least 6 months in open bottle for me, still usable with no apparent ill-effects. So easy and forgiving to apply, long lasting as well. Makes wheel cleaning a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHen View Post
    Hi Budget,

Your reviews got me to try the Myabi and I am sold on this product. I have been thinking of trying the rim coat. So far, I have only used Carpro Dlux which I have been happy with but the application is not as nice as what I have experienced with Kamikaze. My problem is that the rim coat is expensive if just doing 4 wheels. It would be fine if the unused portion could store for awhile to use it later on other cars but it sounds like you only have about a month after opening the bottle. Does anyone know if vacuum sealing the bottle would extend the life? I was thinking of using one of those food storage sealers. Leave the bottle cap loose while vacuum sealing the bag and then tighten the bottle cap from outside the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

No idea if this works with coatings, but years ago I learned to fill my used base coat paints with argon ( helps to be around welding equipment ). It displaces the oxygen which will cause the paint to go bad after sitting on shelf. I wonder if it would stop the coating from crystallizing or curing at all. gonna have to try, results in 6-8 months
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I used overcoat. The only thing I didn`t like was that it looked great until I pulled it out in the sun and saw all the smears. They easily wiped off though. I`m sure I am using too much product but if I use any less, I feel like I`m not putting anything on. I was planning to switch to reload. I`ve used this a lot in the past with no smear problems at all and this is applying it really heavy. You might want to try the reload sometime. Anyway, if the rim coat lasted 6 months that would be good for me. I have a few cars to do this spring.

Great idea with the argon. I know of chemical companies who do this type of thing on top of their product using nitrogen.

Post Thanks / Like

Budget - I`m in the Chicago suburbs so I guess I have similar nasty winter roads as you. Do you find that you lose the beading on the lower half of the side panels? I have this with the Kamikaze coated cars and the cquartz coated cars. I had this happen in the fall on one of the cquartz cars but something interesting happened. I got fresh tar splattered up the sides of the car. I cleaned off the tar using Tar X and wd-40. The beading then came back so I think the beading loss is actually traffic film and this film seems to be worse in the winter. I was wondering if you also experience this and if so, what you use to clean it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I used overcoat. The only thing I didn`t like was that it looked great until I pulled it out in the sun and saw all the smears.
    Same thing happened here with first use. For a while I applied it dry using folded Gyeon BaldWipe as applicator, followed by buffing with a fluffier towel.

I have a unique talent to smear any product of this type, Gtechniq c2v3, Gyeon Cure, 22ple VS1...heck, I can even streak Poorboys Spray & Wipe. Now I just use Overcoat as a drying aid w a platinum Pluffle towel after each wash; kinda lazy man methods but it makes drying so much easier too. You`d think it would use a lot but 250ml bottle lasted from Spring 2017 until now, biweekly washes on 3 cars. Stuff goes a looong way.

Budget - I`m in the Chicago suburbs so I guess I have similar nasty winter roads as you. Do you find that you lose the beading on the lower half of the side panels? I have this with the Kamikaze coated cars and the cquartz coated cars. I had this happen in the fall on one of the cquartz cars but something interesting happened. I got fresh tar splattered up the sides of the car. I cleaned off the tar using Tar X and wd-40. The beading then came back so I think the beading loss is actually traffic film and this film seems to be worse in the winter. I was wondering if you also experience this and if so, what you use to clean it off.
    I have a 70 mile daily commute on 4 of the worst freeways in Cleveland; salt, brine, chemical de-icers. It does wear down the coating in those side panels. Spring will mean Gyeon Iron on entire car followed by Gyeon Foam at 1:2 dilution and need be, tar remover. I did all that on my last car in Spring 2017 (coated with Wolfgang Uber at the time) and it didn`t bring it back. Clayed it next (what the heck, was gonna be polishing it regardless) and still nothing below the beltline on the sides.

Now my wife`s daily driver blue civic, Kamikaze trio applied October 2016, made it through just fine but she only drives about 10k miles a year, 50-50 highway/city.

Now her Corvette, which is garaged November thru March/April...I`ll bet that coating keeps on going like new for years. It gets rained on as much as the next car but that`s no worries, never sees the nasty LSP killing stuff.

That`s one reason coating longevity claims are so funny; it`s not the length of time but the miles and the climate the miles are driven in.

Spring will be interesting to see how Kamikaze does/did on my car; probably hit close to 18-20k miles this year, thru the worst Cleveland has to offer. To be honest, I`m 50-50 on any consumer avaliable coating making it thru that unscathed.

We`ll see...

Post Thanks / Like

For DD in harsh winter weather I would look at cq UK or PA Viking Coat or PA Viking Shield. Those are design for that kind of environment and think you get the longest longevity with them.

I always use a tar degreaser in the winter months when the road salt is on the roads. That road film is the only chemical I have been able to desolve it with. Remember that ceramic coatings is very resistant against chemicals. It`s the really high alkaline products with ph level above 12 you are recommend to not use. The tar degreaser I use is based on naptha and only used bellow the sidewindows and to the back of the car. It seems to be that the road film is much of oils and tar. Where I live many use studded winter tires and those is hard to the asphalt roads as with combinations of the road salt. The roads gets really dirty. A prewash foam is also recommended to use to get other kind of contaminants you get on your paint. This will for me revive the sheeting and beading if not the lsp is done. Something like tarx works great also but not very economical.

I totaly agree that it is the mileage that does the most wear to the lsp longevity. If you compare it in the same environment. Then I think a good maintance is necessary to keep it fresh and extend the longevity.

Thanks for the thoughts about how far they reach. Will look for those mf applicator towels.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the valuable advice guys.

I do pre foam the cars using reset soap. Last time, I followed up with a higher ph soap which did make the sheeting better but did not bring it back to beading. I`ll try some tarx again next time to see if the beading comes back. I have seen your previous posts about road film which is one of the reasons I tried the higher ph soap. It`s probably no where near as good as the soaps you can get there.

Yet another reason to move south.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar experience with the McKee`s coating. After a long winter of road spray and salt last year, I thought the coating was completely done on the areas you describe. However, I noticed was as the weather warmed up and I started back to my normal wash schedule, the beading/sheeting properties on those areas slowly improved. After the third!fourth wash, I think things were back to at least 90% of where they were prior to winter setting in. McKee`s supposedly isn`t as durable as some of the more expensive coatings, so I didn`t try hitting it with harsh chemicals or clay, but it did highlight what can be gained from keeping it clean and how some properties can be restored by a few good washings.

Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread Information