Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Let me add my thanks as well Budget Man. You are very thorough and informative. I always learn a little something from your reviews. Like you, I am beginning to have an up close and personal relationship with CanCoat. A little really does go a long way. Due to my wild-west desert dry air low humidity location, I still find I need to work smaller sized areas and do an almost immediate wipe, or else I get very stubborn high spots. Do you find the same? Also the black trim on that Red Van looked very nice for an outside working van. Did you dress it prior to Can Coat? The other routine I do differently is that my after wash routine is Cure cut at 50%. Due to the price, the Kammi Overcoat / VS1 Final Coat products I only use every couple months or so. If I used Overcoat after every wash I wouldn`t have any beer money left.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartz Update; finally decon’d and washed it

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Cquartz ‘Classic’ or ‘110’ as I think it’s called now; applied in January 2017.

As an aside, I’m kinda getting frustrated with Iron decontamination as I never really see it bleeding like I do in some peoples pictures. Sonax, Optimum, Gyeon…have tried a variety of Iron decontamination products and am missing the glorious bleeding others experience. This is Cleveland for God’s sake, where our river was so polluted it burned back in the 1970’s; there simply *has* to be airborne contamination all over this area and yet only 1 or 2 vehicles have ever showed any of the bleeding that makes putting up with an iron removers stench justifiable. Color me disappointed.
    The Cquatz you used is often referred to as classic or TiO2. 110 does sound catchy. I like the performance of both versions of cquartz and both of them used together. TiO2 looks nice on light colors and UK looks good on dark colors.

With regards to your iron decon frustrations, are you using it on a wet surface or dry surface after you wash? Maybe you don`t have a lot of bad stuff to deal with.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
    As an aside, I’m kinda getting frustrated with Iron decontamination as I never really see it bleeding like I do in some peoples pictures.. This is Cleveland for God’s sake..
    Cleveland or not, maybe your contaminants just aren`t of a ferrous nature. And, heh heh...[INSERT my usual caveat about judging your experiences in comparison with what you see on the internet ]
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

I have a little request if you can do a before shot on the vehicals you do. To see what shape they are in.

How do you experience the washing on them? Are they much harder to wash than your personal cars?

Have you thought of useing a tar remover and a citrus based degreaser when decon them? Maybe a water spot remover also. It maybe get the last of to pass the baggie test. Or you maybe get the most with your wash so what is left needs to clay to get ridd of.
    Will try to remember a before picture, which for the next few months will look pretty bad as they started with the salt and brine on the roads this week; winter finally arrived. Likely no rain to wash `em off for a while.

As these vehicles are usually moving relatively often during the day and not returning to a stationary position until after dusk, the rain usually cleans `em up pretty well. They don`t often sit out in the sun after a rain and when they do get rained on, there usually moving soon after (or during) and the water is beading/sheeting off of them.

Washing them is certainly harder than our personal cars, not much slickness after all these months with no maintenance, especially drying. Not too terrible, but certainly harder. Gyeon Mohs was worst in that respect. Still was glossy and somehow still staying very clean but had lost it`s coating `feel`.

As for citrus cleaners or tar remover, don`t have any citrus cleaner and the one way I know the coating is still there is how easily the tar and more substantial smudges come off in the wash. Have Tar-X but haven`t needed to use it during the `refreshes` so far. May require a little more enthusiasm wirh the wash mitt but these blemishes have come off without the need for more aggressive chemicals.

I just got the 22ple Soft Glass Coat Clay today, will use on refresh of the 22ple HPC vehicle...albeit very carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Let me add my thanks as well Budget Man. You are very thorough and informative. I always learn a little something from your reviews. Like you, I am beginning to have an up close and personal relationship with CanCoat. A little really does go a long way. Due to my wild-west desert dry air low humidity location, I still find I need to work smaller sized areas and do an almost immediate wipe, or else I get very stubborn high spots. Do you find the same? Also the black trim on that Red Van looked very nice for an outside working van. Did you dress it prior to Can Coat? The other routine I do differently is that my after wash routine is Cure cut at 50%. Due to the price, the Kammi Overcoat / VS1 Final Coat products I only use every couple months or so. If I used Overcoat after every wash I wouldn`t have any beer money left.
    I use CanCoat literally like a quick detailer, pretty much wipe on, wipe around, wipe off...its addictive. I did notice a high spot/smudge around the external hinge of the last van today...just due to my inattention...sometimes with these fleet vehicles I`m doing them later at night, after working all day and can get a bit hurried. When it`s approaching 10pm on a Tuesday night and the alarm is going off at 4:30am Wednesday morning, time gets a little compressed. That`s one of the nice things about the fleet vehicles...different levels of meticulous involved than when doing a `car that matters`.

Overcoat goes very, very far for me. Used as a drying aid with a Platinum Pluffle, just getting to the end of the 250ml bottle i got last Spring, used on 3 cars getting washed at least every other week from April thru November.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The Cquatz you used is often referred to as classic or TiO2. 110 does sound catchy. I like the performance of both versions of cquartz and both of them used together. TiO2 looks nice on light colors and UK looks good on dark colors.

With regards to your iron decon frustrations, are you using it on a wet surface or dry surface after you wash? Maybe you don`t have a lot of bad stuff to deal with.
    I usually give it a quick wash and dry and then spray it down with Sonax Fallout, about 16oz a vehicle. Agitate/spread with microfiber applicator pad after a bit of dwell time, then lightly mist with water to keep from drying out before finally getting around to rinsing entire vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Cleveland or not, maybe your contaminants just aren`t of a ferrous nature. And, heh heh...[INSERT my usual caveat about judging your experiences in comparison with what you see on the internet ]
    I have seen the stuff at work, just a spot here and there usually, often around door handles. I just wanna see the dramatic bleeds I sometimes see pics of. Maybe I need to go park a vehicle across the street from a foundry for a week or two.
    Likes glfnaz, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

I usually give it a quick wash and dry and then spray it down with Sonax Fallout, about 16oz a vehicle. Agitate/spread with microfiber applicator pad after a bit of dwell time, then lightly mist with water to keep from drying out before finally getting around to rinsing entire vehicle.
    I normally just spray it on the surface that has dirt and then rinse it off. I keep it wet with a little more product. Then rinse it off and proceed with washing. Essentially taking part of the Mike Phillips Aggressive Wash Method. I do not agitate nor do I add water as I do not want to dilute the product.

Perhaps you are not in an area that has a lot of iron contaminants.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very intresting that it`s washing of relatively easy and not bonds to the paint. Where I live and winter time you often needs to use a tar remover in the prewash procedure. Or my wash media gets stained with tar and other contaminants so use it gets a safer wash for me.

Will looking forward to your experience to clay the 22ple coating and what you think about it.

Always looks very clean after your decon washes of fleet vehicals you do. What car schampo do you use?

You put down alot of work in your testing and I am gratefull that you share it with us!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Very intresting that it`s washing of relatively easy and not bonds to the paint. Where I live and winter time you often needs to use a tar remover in the prewash procedure. Or my wash media gets stained with tar and other contaminants so use it gets a safer wash for me.
    If I come across large gobs of goo, I`m using a demoted Eagle Edgeless in that area instead of the wash mitt. I`m trying not to use to many chems as I wanna see if the coatings have provided enough protection for easier removal of the stuff.

Will looking forward to your experience to clay the 22ple coating and what you think about it.
    Gonna proceed very carefully with lotsa lube; don`t wanna mar the surface...hopefully the `soft glass coat clay` works as advertised.

Always looks very clean after your decon washes of fleet vehicals you do. What car schampo do you use?
    For these fleet vehicles, have some Poorboy`s World Super Slick & Suds Concentrated Car Wash but sometimes i just grab the bottle of Dawn dishwashing soap (*gasp*) from the kitchen. Usually use Gyeon Bathe on vehicles that matter but being fleet vehicles, economy sometimes prevails.

The joy of working with fleet vehicles is that sometimes you can try things you`d never think of doing to a personal vehicle.

You put down alot of work in your testing and I am gratefull that you share it with us!
    Thanks...its been a very interesting and educational process for sure. A very valuable takeaway for me with all the posts is having others comment on the process and suggest things that I don`t know about which ends up making my life easier.

An important thing to remember is all of this us being done by someone with pretty limited experience in the detailing world. I`ll read directions on products, search the forums for a little background on others experiences and then have at it, making my fair share of mistakes along the way. The list of "Things that seemed like a good idea at the time..." grows daily.

One thing coating-related that is beginning to become clear is that among all the products I`ve tried, there really haven`t been any bad choices...all pretty solid products that pretty much do what they claim to do (for the most part; longevity is always a wildcard depending on use/maint)

All are slightly different in this area or that but at the end of the day, all work reasonably well. All are glossy, some slightly more than others, some softer look, some harder look, some bead better, some sheet better. Among the more common/mainstream/popular choices, it`s becoming apparent that they`re popular because they work; the key to `coating happiness` is identifying a specific set of characteristics that appeal to your own tastes/needs and then finding a product that ticks off as many of those boxes as possible.

That`s what I`m taking away from all if this anyway.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Also the black trim on that Red Van looked very nice for an outside working van. Did you dress it prior to Can Coat?
    Sorry, missed this question. All I did to the (really nasty looking) black trim prior to CanCoating it was wipe down (aggresively) with some Megs APC, then wipedown with Gyeon Prep. Tried to go a little heavier with the CanCoat on the trim figuring it might be s bit porous.

The next truck has is a Transit as well so it`ll have a lot if trim to play with. Might do Gyeon Trim on one side, Gtech C4 on the other and CanCoat on front bumper. It`s all a question of motivation at this point Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    Likes glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks glfnaz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I normally just spray it on the surface that has dirt and then rinse it off. I keep it wet with a little more product. Then rinse it off and proceed with washing. Essentially taking part of the Mike Phillips Aggressive Wash Method. I do not agitate nor do I add water as I do not want to dilute the product.

Perhaps you are not in an area that has a lot of iron contaminants.
    Will try this next time (And save myself the quick wash step in the process). Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

Need to find an easier/quicker way to apply than my much-refilled 16oz Fallout Cleaner bottle...lotss trigger squeezing to cover van. Tried a quazar pump sprayer this last time but Fallout Cleaner a bit too viscous to spray nicely.

Agitating it helps me get complete coverage but if i could apply more evenly and quickly, another (cold and sometimes wind blown) step would be saved.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious (well, I think so anyway) item wirh 22ple HPC.

Never really looked to coatings for scratch resistance but maybe it has merit?

Cleaned up the van I used 22ple HPC on last March; noticed some scratches across the applied logo decal that pretty much stopped at the paint.

Probably trees going in and out of driveways all summer long, pretty common thing in the vans. I know the scratches weren`t there when I applied the coating so musta happened this past summer.

First thought is coating actually is somewhat scratch resistant? I dunno, but kinda interesting...

One scratch did extend into the paint very, very faintly but otherwise...

I did coat over the logo though so it didn`t protect that, which makes it more curious; am I missing something obvious.

Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- Isn`t it as simple as the decals being softer than the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t expect a coating to protect against tree branches. I would hope that a coating would protect against scratches from finger prints on a dusty car, someone leaning up against a fender or even wiping dust off with a MF towel, etc. All of which will scratch the paint on my car.

ks

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the marring-resistance of various things can be surprising. E.g., I`ve had (many layers of) KSG protect against a really awful "oops!" that should`ve caused some real damage, never woulda thunk it. With the scratches being less severe on the paint than on the decals, maybe the coating works pretty well in that regard. The hardness/softness of whatever`s under the coating might remain a significant factor no matter how tough that coating is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
    I wouldn`t expect a coating to protect against tree branches. I would hope that a coating would protect against scratches from finger prints on a dusty car, someone leaning up against a fender or even wiping dust off with a MF towel, etc. All of which will scratch the paint on my car.

ks
    Agree. I have notice my coated vehicles have far fewer "life marks" on them after a year than they ever did with even just 6 months with a sealant or wax. My philosophy is the coatings probably provide an increased resistance to light marring, but I`d never expect them to protect the pant from something that would live a scratch

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- Isn`t it as simple as the decals being softer than the paint?
    Probably; the obvious sometimes eludes me...

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
    ks
    I`ll have to ask the Tech "What the %^$#@! did you do to your van?????"...guessing the answer will be pine tree needles; they`re not that harsh. And then maybe a punch to my face for being a tool.

Sometimes the marring-resistance of various things can be surprising. E.g., I`ve had (many layers of) KSG protect against a really awful "oops!" that should`ve caused some real damage, never woulda thunk it. With the scratches being less severe on the paint than on the decals, maybe the coating works pretty well in that regard. The hardness/softness of whatever`s under the coating might remain a significant factor no matter how tough that coating is.
    While I`d hate to jump to that conclusion, guess it`s possible (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Agree. I have notice my coated vehicles have far fewer "life marks" on them after a year than they ever did with even just 6 months with a sealant or wax. My philosophy is the coatings probably provide an increased resistance to light marring, but I`d never expect them to protect the pant from something that would live a scratch
    I would hope some protection is provided by a coating...otherwise all those hardness claims are in question.

Eh, it is what it is...

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information