Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 238394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...

I had to dig for this post!

And updates Budget?

I finally got the chance to try Nova EVO and i was super happy with how easy it was to use. I never got any high spots this time either. It does take on a darker look then the CQUK i have on the rear end of my car. I only coated 2 doors with EVO to see if i had any issues that i had with CQUK - high spots. However, i applied CQUK in sub 10 degree celsius and i`m a coating noob.

It reaffirmed to me that maybe i can coat outside - high solid coating. Durability will be the main factor of that line of thinking however.

User experience: Nv Nova Evo is easy to use. No flashing times so all i had to worry about was over applying and high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    And updates Budget?
    It`s still doing very well on the vehicle I applied it to last Winter, self cleaning is very good despite only 2 or 3 touchless tunnel washes (soap and rinse only). I image that the Jet I topped it with is long gone so it`s just the coating at this point.

A side note about Jet; I did a nice, heavy wash on both my daily driver and the STEK Dynoshield covered Corvette (CarPro Lift, followed by Gyeon Restart on my daily and CarPro Lift & Gyeon PPF wash on the Corvette) and then applied Jet to both. My daily has no coating on hood, roof and trunk and Kami ISM 2.0 on the rest; the Corvette has a 10k mile old PPF specific coating which is starting to fade a bit (coating longevity is somewhat diminished on top of the Dynoshield due to it`s integrated hydrophobic topcoat). Both cars are black and the Jet has a very nice look on black, kinda visually `substantial` and self cleaning is very, very good. There`s a lot of mixed opinions out there about Jet but in my case it works very well on black cars. Not hard to apply but not as mindlessly fun as Polish Angel stuff amd I think I`ll stick with it through the Summer on those 2 cars as currently anyway, it pleases me.
    Likes noorth, glfnaz, rand0m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    It`s still doing very well on the vehicle I applied it to last Winter, self cleaning is very good despite only 2 or 3 touchless tunnel washes (soap and rinse only). I image that the Jet I topped it with is long gone so it`s just the coating at this point.

A side note about Jet; I did a nice, heavy wash on both my daily driver and the STEK Dynoshield covered Corvette (CarPro Lift, followed by Gyeon Restart on my daily and CarPro Lift & Gyeon PPF wash on the Corvette) and then applied Jet to both. My daily has no coating on hood, roof and trunk and Kami ISM 2.0 on the rest; the Corvette has a 10k mile old PPF specific coating which is starting to fade a bit (coating longevity is somewhat diminished on top of the Dynoshield due to it`s integrated hydrophobic topcoat). Both cars are black and the Jet has a very nice look on black, kinda visually `substantial` and self cleaning is very, very good. There`s a lot of mixed opinions out there about Jet but in my case it works very well on black cars. Not hard to apply but not as mindlessly fun as Polish Angel stuff amd I think I`ll stick with it through the Summer on those 2 cars as currently anyway, it pleases me.
    Jet vs OC.... opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Jet vs OC.... opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aesthetically on black, Jet has a look I prefer. Water behavior and such, current version of Overcoat (3.0) might be equal though previous versions were better. Will be interesting to see what OC V4 will be like; from glimpses on Instagram, will come in both spray and `sealant like` formats.

It`s not so much that Jet is `better` than OC or vice-versa, but overall equally as good in a different way.

Jet just looks really good to me on black.
    Likes Coatings=crack, glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is hugely helpful for guys like me who have limited experience with coatings. Want to thank everyone for the great content. Going to apply NV EVO next weekend, I tried a test spot this weekend and was amazed by how smooth it came off.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to try something new on our STEK Dynoshield PPF`d Corvette...NV Nova Lustre followed by Jet.

Gave NV Nova EVO a try last Winter (topped with Jet, notes on that here: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...tings/#NV_NOVA ) and it`s done so well I figr`d I`d muck about a bit more, using Jet on top of my `mostly coated` black, daily driver Honda Accord. The Jet had such a nice, dark, compelling look on the somewhat abused black paint and the self-cleaning aspects were quite impressive given the use and neglect this car experiences, enough so that I wanted to give it a try on the Corvette.

The Vette is a car which I usually don`t `try things on` as after spending a significant amount of $ having it completely done with PPF, well...don`t wanna goon that up using it as a rolling test panel. The Dynoshield was applied when the car was new in April 2019 and coated with a film-specific ceramic at that time as well. 2 years and 10k miles later it`s still doing well but I`d guess the coating is starting to fade a bit...not glaringly apparent as the Dynoshield has a hydrophobic topcoat `built in` but sometimes ya just get that feeling that things are not all they can be.

Deciding I was too lazy to completely prep and totally recoat it, went with Jet at first (about 3 weeks ago) after getting some tips on prep/application from Nick Parks. While the car doesn`t see snow or salt, it is pretty much a daily driver from Spring to Fall in NE Ohio so it`ll get hit with bird bombs, get rained on in the morning and then sit in sun all afternoon...typical Summer daily driver fare here; pollen, dust, bugs, road construction dirt, etc. The Jet effect is very real, notably on black, and self cleaning was excellent so i wanted to continue on with it throughout the Summer but alas, another NV Nova fan put the idea of Lustre + Jet into my head so once more into the fray I went after ordering/receiving Lustre.

Foamed the car with CarPro Lift, washed with Gyeon PPF Wash, wiped down with Gyeon Prep, applied Lustre, waited 6hrs or so (was a beautiful day yesterday so hadda take the Cayman out for some backroads fun Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...) and then went over it with Jet.

Lustre went on nicely spraying into a 300gsm edgeless, followed by buff with a 350gsm edgeless and was immediately ashetically gratifying on the black paint. Stupidly entertaining to use, slick as snot, a very substantial-looking gloss, not just thin and reflective but kinda `hearty and reflective`.

Sprayed Jet into a 300gsm to apply and buffed w another 300gsm. When I used Jet alone it seemed to work better for me sprayed onto the panel, worked in w a 300gsm w a final buff w a 350gsm. On top of Lustre that approach was a little too grabby for me so went with the dual 300`s and skipped spraying directly on panel. No big deal, not difficult but just a bit of a different approach.

Car looks killer w the combo, pumped up the menacing darkness of the gloss so now it`s time to drive it and see how it does; lotsa varying weather upcoming although pollen has subsided a bit so won`t get to see the lovely pollen+rain combo that makes black paint so irritating.

I`m probably gonna prep my black daily and run with just Lustre facing the world for a bit to see how that does in its own; I like clean cars but don`t really like cleaning cars so hydrophobics/self cleaning aspects of a coating/topcoat *really* matter to me.

All in all a very nice, fun combo and I expect it to do well. Will probably hit Vette w Jet in a month or so to maintain and see how that routine goes.
    Likes dgage, glfnaz, Cadfael, SNP209, atbalfour and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

the no flash time coating always got me because I was thinking by giving it a minute or two I would increase all the good stuff instead it end up increasing the amount of work and high spots. I have only been using adams coating since that graphene coating came out. With the main factor being it’s ease of use nothing mattered or altered the application temp, indoor, outdoor, ect. I’ll have to try nova since it seem to be easy. Compared to these newer coatings, yeah I’d have to agree CQUK 2.0 and 3.0 were not the easiest coatings. The second coat was always a pia. So much so I would only do 1 coat and it was good to go.

Wonder what the ceramic pro lifetime required coats is currently @ 5layers or 6 layers didn’t it used to be something in that ball park.

Ceramic pro sports love to get that or see some one on here post about it!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    the no flash time coating always got me because I was thinking by giving it a minute or two I would increase all the good stuff instead it end up increasing the amount of work and high spots. I have only been using adams coating since that graphene coating came out. With the main factor being it’s ease of use nothing mattered or altered the application temp, indoor, outdoor, ect. I’ll have to try nova since it seem to be easy. Compared to these newer coatings, yeah I’d have to agree CQUK 2.0 and 3.0 were not the easiest coatings. The second coat was always a pia. So much so I would only do 1 coat and it was good to go.
    Yeah, I guess it`s all a matter of `application` preference...and I seem to be into smaller sections, quick removal these days. The Nova EVO was a bit more forgiving but the Kami ISM 2.0 was one ya hadda go strictly by applying to 24"x24" section and immediately remove or else trouble ensues.

Wonder what the ceramic pro lifetime required coats is currently @ 5layers or 6 layers didn’t it used to be something in that ball park.
    I think the `lifetime` part is dependent on the yearly `inspections` which likely involve an application of either Sport or some other coating in their package. They`ve always been into excessive layering; have seen some shops offer up to 10 layers which to me seems crazy. Standard packages seem to be:

GOLD: (LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY)
    4 Layers of 9H
    1 Layer of Top Coat
    1 Layer of 9H on plastics
    1 Layer of Wheel & Caliper on Wheel Faces
    1 Layer of Glass on windshield

SILVER: (FIVE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY)
    1 Layer of 9H
    1 Layer of Top Coat

BRONZETWO YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY)
    1 Layer of Top Coat
    1 Layer of Top Coat on plastics and wheels
    1 Layer of Top Coat on Plastics

CERAMIC PRO SPORT PACKAGE (6 MONTH WARRANTY)
    Ceramic Pro sport applied to paint, plastic and wheels

Never experienced my self or talked directly to an installer but have heard that CP is kinda a PITA to apply

Ceramic pro sports love to get that or see some one on here post about it!
    I thought it was consumer available but a quick Google comes up with nothing? Would be interesting to see if it`s anything `more` than Gyeon CanCoat, Cquartz Lite or similar. Perhaps it`s even a `lesser` product than those, IGL Premier-ish maybe?

Never really seen a non-installer review of it either.

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to try something new on our STEK Dynoshield PPF`d Corvette...NV Nova Lustre followed by Jet.

Gave NV Nova EVO a try last Winter (topped with Jet, notes on that here: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...tings/#NV_NOVA ) and it`s done so well I figr`d I`d muck about a bit more, using Jet on top of my `mostly coated` black, daily driver Honda Accord. The Jet had such a nice, dark, compelling look on the somewhat abused black paint and the self-cleaning aspects were quite impressive given the use and neglect this car experiences, enough so that I wanted to give it a try on the Corvette.

Deciding I was too lazy to completely prep and totally recoat it, went with Jet at first (about 3 weeks ago) after getting some tips on prep/application from Nick Parks. While the car doesn`t see snow or salt, it is pretty much a daily driver from Spring to Fall in NE Ohio so it`ll get hit with bird bombs, get rained on in the morning and then sit in sun all afternoon...typical Summer daily driver fare here; pollen, dust, bugs, road construction dirt, etc. The Jet effect is very real, notably on black, and self cleaning was excellent so i wanted to continue on with it throughout the Summer but alas, another NV Nova fan put the idea of Lustre + Jet into my head so once more into the fray I went after ordering/receiving Lustre.

Foamed the car with CarPro Lift, washed with Gyeon PPF Wash, wiped down with Gyeon Prep, applied Lustre, waited 6hrs or so (was a beautiful day yesterday so hadda take the Cayman out for some backroads fun Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...) and then went over it with Jet.

Lustre went on nicely spraying into a 300gsm edgeless, followed by buff with a 350gsm edgeless and was immediately ashetically gratifying on the black paint. Stupidly entertaining to use, slick as snot, a very substantial-looking gloss, not just thin and reflective but kinda `hearty and reflective`.

Sprayed Jet into a 300gsm to apply and buffed w another 300gsm. When I used Jet alone it seemed to work better for me sprayed onto the panel, worked in w a 300gsm w a final buff w a 350gsm. On top of Lustre that approach was a little too grabby for me so went with the dual 300`s and skipped spraying directly on panel. No big deal, not difficult but just a bit of a different approach.

Car looks killer w the combo, pumped up the menacing darkness of the gloss so now it`s time to drive it and see how it does; lotsa varying weather upcoming although pollen has subsided a bit so won`t get to see the lovely pollen+rain combo that makes black paint so irritating.

I`m probably gonna prep my black daily and run with just Lustre facing the world for a bit to see how that does in its own; I like clean cars but don`t really like cleaning cars so hydrophobics/self cleaning aspects of a coating/topcoat *really* matter to me.

All in all a very nice, fun combo and I expect it to do well. Will probably hit Vette w Jet in a month or so to maintain and see how that routine goes.
    Budget, I`ve gotta say I`ve always really appreciated your descriptions of the various products and approaches you`ve tried on your cars/test mules. Really helps give a mental picture of the differing visuals of various products, and even more so a feel for what the whole experience is like.

Also, good on ya for putting that Cayman to work.

...I think the `lifetime` part is dependent on the yearly `inspections` which likely involve an application of either Sport or some other coating in their package. They`ve always been into excessive layering; have seen some shops offer up to 10 layers which to me seems crazy. Standard packages seem to be:

GOLD: (LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY)
    4 Layers of 9H
    1 Layer of Top Coat

Ya know, it`s hard not to have feelings about Ceramic Pro, but I guess props if the installers are touching the car that many times and delivering a product folks are happy with.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sjbiss View Post
    This thread is hugely helpful for guys like me who have limited experience with coatings. Want to thank everyone for the great content. Going to apply NV EVO next weekend, I tried a test spot this weekend and was amazed by how smooth it came off.
    Good luck, i just rinsed the 2 doors i coated with EVO, epic beads but it was topped with reload so not sure how much difference that made - seems to be getting even a little darker, looks great on my bluestreak metallic toyota. I found it pretty easy to work with, spread around for 30-60 seconds and wipeoff - i also spread it very thinly. I used a regular microfiber applicatior as well. I probably already mentioned it.

With CQUK you have to find a sweet spot usually or let it ride for a while and prepare to use some elbow grease. I tried a faster wipeoff time for CQUK but that caused more trouble because all i was doing was spreading product around the panel. The instructions clearly say you can wipe on and wipe off though. Maybe in better conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to re-affirm i just applied EVO to my roof and pillars. Its about 18 degrees Celsius with 60% Humidity. I also applied it in sunlight. Its easy to work with for sure. Not sure how long it will last but that`s the fun part.

The 2 doors i coated with EVO is a noticeably better then the 1 coat of CQUK i applied to my trunk and rear end. Wicked tight beads. The CQUK pretty good too.

Going to double check for high spots now!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to re-affirm i just applied EVO to my roof and pillars. Its about 18 degrees Celsius with 60% Humidity. I also applied it in sunlight. Its easy to work with for sure. Not sure how long it will last but that`s the fun part.

The 2 doors i coated with EVO is a noticeably better then the 1 coat of CQUK i applied to my trunk and rear end. Wicked tight beads. The CQUK pretty good too.

Going to double check for high spots now!
    Applied NV EVO on the 4 doors, front and rear fenders and tailgate of my Wrangler 4xe. Didn’t do the hood, cowl or windshield frame as I am getting those PPF’d later this month and I’ll coat after. This coating is so easy to remove. Humidity was 80%+ and I had no issues, wipes off easy and clean. I would wait ~30-45 secs as the guys at NV said not to let it sit for any more than a min with this level of humidity. This coating is almost as easy as OPT Gloss Coat.

I tripled checked for high spots but white is is tough. Fingers crossed I got them all!
    Likes BudgetPlan1, noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Applied NV EVO on the 4 doors, front and rear fenders and tailgate of my Wrangler 4xe. Didn’t do the hood, cowl or windshield frame as I am getting those PPF’d later this month and I’ll coat after. This coating is so easy to remove. Humidity was 80%+ and I had no issues, wipes off easy and clean. I would wait ~30-45 secs as the guys at NV said not to let it sit for any more than a min with this level of humidity. This coating is almost as easy as OPT Gloss Coat.

I tripled checked for high spots but white is is tough. Fingers crossed I got them all!
    I wasn`t timing it but i figure i was spreading it upwards of 45 sec. I had a small breeze of wind has well.

Lots of overnight condensation tonight unfortunately for me but EVO is not hard to work with thats` for sure. Hopefully, reload is doing its thing and protecting the coating..

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn`t timing it but i figure i was spreading it upwards of 45 sec. I had a small breeze of wind has well.

Lots of overnight condensation tonight unfortunately for me but EVO is not hard to work with thats` for sure. Hopefully, reload is doing its thing and protecting the coating..
    I let it sit overnight and just applied Boost. Another super easy product. Fairly slick but not as slick as something like Ethos Defy or Resist. Nice cloudy day to check one last time for high spots. Nothing I can see!!
    Likes noorth, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I let it sit overnight and just applied Boost. Another super easy product. Fairly slick but not as slick as something like Ethos Defy or Resist. Nice cloudy day to check one last time for high spots. Nothing I can see!!
    So far i`m smitten with the line. Waiting now for NV to land in canada and buy the finesse medium polish and maybe their shampoo lol
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 238394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread Information